Please give blood (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Used to give regularly, but they stopped me when I couldn't get off the bed the last couple of times I donated. So I don't now. I'm O rheas us negative, which I believe can be given to anyone. It Used to go to SCBU.

You check and see a lot of donation centres now have the new swinging seat so easy to get in and out of.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
i think people should get paid to donate blood,as a lot of your donated blood/blood products is sold to the private sector,more so now than years ago.

Sorry Chrisgreen but the idea of being paid to give blood goes totally against the grain, the uses of blood given is vast used not only for transfusions.
My wife`s group is used specifically for new born babies, when she found out that put a big smile on her face, we both give our max amount and are proud to do so.
I don`t need any renumeration, knowing it might save someones life is enough payment enough.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Sorry Chrisgreen but the idea of being paid to give blood goes totally against the grain, the uses of blood given is vast used not only for transfusions.
My wife`s group is used specifically for new born babies, when she found out that put a big smile on her face, we both give our max amount and are proud to do so.
I don`t need any remuneration, knowing it might save someones life is enough payment enough.
i admire you for your reasons,but when a volunteer's donation is then sold on to the private sector something is wrong with that in my eyes,the private sector has no blood bank, it buys all its blood and blood products from the nhs blood bank that is so wrong as there is a shortage of blood/blood products and the nhs are selling it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I used to give blood regularly. When I got married my wife came along to a session and agreed to become a donor.

After they took about half a pint she feinted so that was it for that time. The second time she went she passed out at the sight of the needle. When she came round they suggested she took up something less hazardous - like hang gliding!

Sadly I can't give blood now - too old and on too many medications.

Dave

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
i admire you for your reasons,but when a volunteer's donation is then sold on to the private sector something is wrong with that in my eyes,the private sector has no blood bank, it buys all its blood and blood products from the nhs blood bank that is so wrong as there is a shortage of blood/blood products and the nhs are selling it.

You do have a point re the nhs selling blood but that also means they get some much needed cash into their system.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You check and see a lot of donation centres now have the new swinging seat so easy to get in and out of.

You misunderstand me. I couldn't get up due to nausea and dizziness. They advised me to stop. So I have. :) ...I too don't mind the NHS selling on blood. After all they run the clinics to collect it. Their staff have to be paid. Every sample is screened which they pay for, so if they can recoup some of that from the private sector then good!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don`t need any renumeration, knowing it might save someones life is enough payment enough.

Same here :)

About 12 days after my last donation I received this text message:

Thank you so much for donating on 6-Jun. Your donation has just been issued to Royal Preston Hospital. Every donation counts.

Receiving that text message quite literally made my day :D

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I given about 50 times, I give just for the tea and biscuits I started to find out what blood group I am, for a motorbike competition license, cheap than going to a doctor.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Like several others on here it seems, they don't want my blood either. I have volunteered a couple of times but I've had a couple of quite nasty heart infections so they said no.

I do help out 2 or 3 times a year at the school of medicine at my local hospital so the trainees can practice their examination skills. They are always looking for more volunteers if anyone is interested.

Paul

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I gave an armful this week. I used to donate the platelets most months, but in an effort to encourage donors, they closed the Brentwood centre and suggested we either drive to Cambridge or into Central London....no chance I have a life to lead. So they kept nagging and now I give blood again. Apparently it takes 8 pints of blood to yield 1 of platelets. Closing the centre saved a few bob but certainly restricted platelet donations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back