Plate underbonnet

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Nigel L, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

image.jpeg Here is a picture of the plate which is under the bonnet. So, what do these figures relate to:-
    Where does the 3500 kg figure come from?

2. SandraL

SandraL Funster

This is original fiat plate, no there is not a 3500kg figure, fiat say it can carry max 3650kg. Is there not a second plate from motorhome converter? They may have " downrated" to 3500kg.
    My van has 4 plates, fiat, alko , hymer and uprated plate......

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

it doesnt .
    3650 gross vehicle weight.
    6150 trainweight
    1850 front axle max
    2000 rear axle max.

mind it may have been down plated the axle weights stay the same and the train weight only the gvw changes . but more info required .

4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

You will probably have another plate somewhere which has the magic 3500 plate as many converters downplate so it can be driven on a B1 license.

5. chaser

chaser Funster

You ain't got a 3500 it's a 3650 and should be cheaper road tax(y)

6. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Unless there is a converters plate somewhere else it's showing 3650kg as gross weight, with 1 and 2 showing the allowed axle weights. Your train weight is 6150 so you can tow 2500kg

7. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

Just received my V5 from the dvla, and this states 3500

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

its a ludicrous system i lower 7.5 ton trucks to 3,500kg gvw . only the gvw changes . the trainweight sys the same . even 1 axle weight is greater than the total new gvw of the vehicle . it really is a laugh but its legal.
    you cant use the high axle weight but its there.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not always Al.
    There are a lot of Fiats out there with train reduced by Alko.
    My kontiki's Fiat plate showed 3850kg with a train of 5850kg but had been downrated to 3500kg on the V5
    When I had it reverted back to 3850kg Alko provided me with a new certificate of conformity and a new vin plate which had reduced the train by 350kg....from 2000kg to 1650kg.
    I never did fit the Alko plate, just chucked it in the glove box.

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

over 3500kg it become private heavy goods or phgv and although it is cheaper to tax there are driving licence implications

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes i dont alter the chassis as such . might shorten it .
    you know mini artic is the way and at 70 yrs old fifth wheeler .

12. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Can we get personal Nigel.

Did you pass your driving test before or after the 1st January 1997 and have you any other driving qualifications on your licence (I'm talking Heavy goods, PSV etc)

13. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

Yes, past it in 1975, so have the C1 on the license, and have the MIDAS course certificate.

14. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Nigel,

In the June MMM there is an article (page 172)which mirrors exactly, your problem, even down to the weight of the Van. Is it you they are talking about?

If not, here is their take on it.

The Fiat plate takes precedence over anything verbal or written so, as it stands, the motorhome you have can carry 3650Kgs. The problem you have is that the V5 says 3500Kgs. If you are stopped and found over this weight, you run the risk of being prevented from carrying on your journey and/or being fined.

At first instance I would get back to DVLA and ask them where THEY got the 3500KGS from. It could be that the original buyer of the vehicle didn't want, because of limitations ie passed test after 1997 or over 70yrs old and lost his/her entitlement to drive >3500Kgs, to have a vehicle with a Max weight in excess of 3500kgs.
    More likely is that the dealer knew 9 tenths of bu&&er all about weights, took it upon him/herself to register it at 3500kgs.

In any event, with a little effort, you can get yourself a reduction in VED because a 'van with a Max weight of 3650Kgs is Taxed less than a van at 3500Kgs.

If you are sure that there is no other Weight Plate on the van and, according to MMM it could be anywhere, including the door jambs, then you may have to present your 'van for inspection at whatever VOSA are now called to confirm that there isn't another plate and you can get your V5 changed to show a Max weight of 3650Kgs.

If anything is confusing re the above, I suggest that you pick up a copy of June MMM. The person in question in that article had bought new and wanted it to be 3500Kgs but the dealer was reluctant to pull their finger out and left the owner, high and dry.

Good Luck

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

That is not correct, the Fiat plate only gives the base chassis ratings, the converters plate or the last plate fitted takes precedence and as the V5 says 3500kg it has obviously been downrated by the converter.
    In view of the Fiat plate, it would be a paper exercise to uprate to 3650kg.

16. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

If you had read what he wrote.. there is no converters plate..
    "The Fiat plate takes precedence over anything verbal or written "

17. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

I'll go further. The sum total of his axles is 3850Kgs. It would therefore be possible to go to 3800Kgs (They did with mine)

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Only thing I would disagree with is that if weighed the only thing DVSA or the police would be interested in is the plated weight. Information on the V5 would be irrelevant. Any offences would be against the Ministry plate if fitted, and it won't be on a motor home, or the manufacturers plate. (In my experience DVSA would always take the highest weight and most police officers would shy away from anything with complications regarding weights!

19. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

You are right of course.
    In the article, the new owner of the van wanted a weight in excess of 3500 and the dealer bu&&ered him about.