Plastic water bottles ..scientist needed (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Actually you are stating as fact that algae can get INTO sealed bottles ... its a new one on me too so if you DO have any proof I'd love to read it however I would suggest it does NOT exist!

I also suggest you do NOT tell me to wind MY neck in too!:sneaky:
I did not state that it can grow in SEALED bottles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did not state that it can grow in SEALED bottles.
You are saying that the bottles have their tops back on, that means sealed in the sense that they cannot be contaminated that way (whether they are factory sealed or user sealed after refilling/opening) ... this what you said:

Of course it doesn't help that plastic bottles are porous. OK, yes it doesn't appear that way but put half a bottle of water, with top on and leave outside for a couple of months. You'll find green algae and that's not able to be washed out. It's now incorporated in the plastic.

... what you definitely appear to claim is that the algae is getting in through the walls of the bottles themselves ... where is this fact please?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You are saying that the bottles have their tops back on, that means sealed in the sense that they cannot be contaminated that way (whether they are factory sealed or user sealed after refilling/opening) ... this what you said:

... what you definitely appear to claim is that the algae is getting in through the walls of the bottles themselves ... where is this fact please?
Well it appears that you have selected viewing too. I said I was wrong. I'm wrong. I'm wrong. I'm wrong. I previously stated that. You know the facts or your versions of the facts. I, unfortunately, only know what I saw and learnt 50 years ago. You believe whatever you want but irrespective of anything else, I know what I saw and whether I can back that up with scientific fact or not is totally irrelevant. You have your beliefs and I have mine.
So YOU ARE RIGHT. I'm WRONG.
OK with that?
I'll just go and get the sackcloth and Ashes ready. Anything else to appease you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well it appears that you have selected viewing too. I said I was wrong. I'm wrong. I'm wrong. I'm wrong. I previously stated that. You know the facts or your versions of the facts. I, unfortunately, only know what I saw and learnt 50 years ago. You believe whatever you want but irrespective of anything else, I know what I saw and whether I can back that up with scientific fact or not is totally irrelevant. You have your beliefs and I have mine.
So YOU ARE RIGHT. I'm WRONG.
OK with that?
I'll just go and get the sackcloth and Ashes ready. Anything else to appease you?
As you suggested to another poster maybe you need to wind your own neck in ... why does that make me think of a turtle???? Anyway, I'm not SAYING you are wrong, but simply asking for the info/where I can find this out? I don't think it is true but it would be interesting to know if there is a chance that it is ... if you don't want to say where this info can be found that's fine but please do not get all uptight about it as that's not my intention. :D

Oh and 'sackcloth' is the 'in' fabric with designers now, and 'ashes' are the new diet food don't cha know ... so you're a trend setter! (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As you suggested to another poster maybe you need to wind your own neck in ... why does that make me think of a turtle???? Anyway, I'm not SAYING you are wrong, but simply asking for the info/where I can find this out? I don't think it is true but it would be interesting to know if there is a chance that it is ... if you don't want to say where this info can be found that's fine but please do not get all uptight about it as that's not my intention. :D

Oh and 'sackcloth' is the 'in' fabric with designers now, and 'ashes' are the new diet food don't cha know ... so you're a trend setter! (y)
Actually, if you look back through the thread you will find that I quoted a particular reply and unless you have 2 profiles and you took it that I meant someone totally random then it was not directed at you.
Strangely enough, I've read scores and scores of your posts and threads and admire your areas of knowledge so it was particularly distressing that you should consider thst I was being personal to you not replying to the particular quote I put in my reply. However, if you took it that way, I'm sorry you feel like that.
I cannot name the original source because that particular person is a long time dead but we did it as an experiment 50+ years ago.
Also, your definition of sealed is possibly different than mine. Sealed as in unopened or sealed closed not just top put back on. It was not intended to read that it was from a pure unopened, sealed container but it was closed by the screw top.
Anyway, as far as I can tell, I can't get any lower in apologies so if it's true, either way, I really don't give a fig. Face bovvered? Is it though? Bovvered? Face bovvered. Is it though?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know it wasn't directed at me hence why I said it was directed at another poster ... and no I don't have two profiles, although some would probably say I have 'several personalities'! :sneaky:

Thank you for your compliment but I have some knowledge of certain thing and hope it helps people but am always willing to learn and have found this forum a very good 'education' tool on many things although some posters still confuse me with their technical speak :D and smart phones still confuse me ... as does Facebook ... I couldn't find out where my 'wall' was until someone told me it was my page! :LOL:

Anyway I'm not that bothered either ... just interested that's all. :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Usually buy my drinking water in large plastic bottles and then use these to top up from the taps when camping .. now that it has been found that the plastic gives off dangerous something or other, does anyone know if boiling the water removes the dangerous compound? Only if away for several weeks wildcamping the water obviously is not fresh daily.
Hi joy,
You may find this interesting. There's a few pages...... I think it could be the parabens your concerned about leaching into your regular water.
We enjoy our smart water when away in pug . Regardless. :RollEyes:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/dangerous-plastics-safe-plastics-zmaz09aszraw.aspx

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Coming to this late and have not read every post.

I have always remembered the 'law' as read to me by a training sergeant, on a hot day while crossing a hot plain, we were confronted by a small pool of murky water, as he said, "You may die if you drink that, but you certainly will if you don't!"

I've lived some 40 years with those words in my ears.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:lips:
Usually buy my drinking water in large plastic bottles and then use these to top up from the taps when camping .. now that it has been found that the plastic gives off dangerous something or other, does anyone know if boiling the water removes the dangerous compound? Only if away for several weeks wildcamping the water obviously is not fresh daily.

NO! you're gonna die!!!:hi5:

Eventually:doh::laughing::lips:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back