Plastic water bottles ..scientist needed (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Usually buy my drinking water in large plastic bottles

Have to say Joy, with your signature, that surprises me..

bottled water is the biggest con ever, and is really bad for the environment..

by all means buy it when there is NO clean water supply.. or in an emergency when the supply is cut.. but can think of nowhere in Europe where the tap water isn't potable. If so then it is generally marked.. Non Potable, you sometimes see a sign at some French village wells.. were the water hasn't been treated or tested..

If worried about your tank, unless it has been contaminated by fuel or another chemical, every time you fill it with tap water it is also sterilised..
and boiling it for tea or coffee will kill every known bacteria .. If still not happy then fit a Nature Pure Filter..

Or buy a small water carrier, from any camping shop and fill from the tap..

We've been drinking from motorhome and caravan tanks all our lives.. never been sick from doing so...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Volvic advertise that "their" water is millions of years old and it's been filtered through volcanic rocks, yet it has a sell by date!

We have a state of the art water treatment plant in Tewkesbury next to the River Severn, and people who work there will tell you that the water you get in your tap has been through at least seven other people, not to mention countless animals, dinosaurs, single cell organisms etc. before you drink it. Every drop that was on earth at the time of creation is still here apparently.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Every drop that was on earth at the time of creation is still here apparently.

indeed.. but where did it come from..?

when Earth was born is was a blazing fireball.. no water .. just molten rock..

haven't read a convincing explanation yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nooooooo ... don't let this go off into a 'how was the Earth/we created' debate .... :eek:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes but it just tastes better, I always buy Evian and drink it every day, just because I like the taste. Especially with a nice malt and I certainly don't worry about plastic contamination, I would be more concerned as to how many bladders tap water has been through before it appears in my glass.
I think the best comment I heard about this particular bottled water was.....read it backwards

Did you know that Evian water does not actually come from Evian? It is bottled in Thonon a few kilometres away. The locals buy Thonon water as it is identical but a bit cheaper.

Another useless fact from the Dux book of useless facts......

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but we do know 4-5 hundred million years ago the first back boned creatures left the sea to live on land.
orthoceras fossils found in the sahara .
its hard to believe at times the sahara was under water. and at one time was grassland .
but it does seem water as been around along time .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are bothered use a glass bottle just empty the wine first into my glass!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ye
Volvic advertise that "their" water is millions of years old and it's been filtered through volcanic rocks, yet it has a sell by date!

We have a state of the art water treatment plant in Tewkesbury next to the River Severn, and people who work there will tell you that the water you get in your tap has been through at least seven other people, not to mention countless animals, dinosaurs, single cell organisms etc. before you drink it. Every drop that was on earth at the time of creation is still here apparently.
Yes that's the old (very) joke but it has reasoning behind it. It's not the water that has a sell by date per se but the plastic container it's held in.
The problem is that most (probably all) containers degrade over time especially subjected to the elements. Plastic, over probably millenia will degrade as will glass. In fact, I remember reading an article that over time, glass melts, as in Windows.. Takes many years but apparently it does. I'm waiting to find a container thst will hold this universal solvent I've thought about.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Did you know that Evian water does not actually come from Evian? It is bottled in Thonon a few kilometres away. The locals buy Thonon water as it is identical but a bit cheaper.

Another useless fact from the Dux book of useless facts......
Sounds more like Peckham water to me.
Although Naive might be better

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Joy , Get deionised water.
This is pure , nothing in it. Zilch.
Look on the side of regular water bottle.at the contents.
Sodium chloride sulphate nitrates ph levels etcetc
We buy water called glaceau smart water. With nothing in it .
It's vapour distilled with added electrolytes . To help hydrate .
You can buy a machine that does it . But it's very expensive. It flushes your system out , detoxes your body.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Get deionised water.

Never heard of anyone drinking De-ionised water..

and having worked on many water de-ionisation plants for boiler water in power stations.. .. I hated getting it on my hands, it dried them out really bad.. we were told to always wear rubber gloves for prolonged contact.. being so depleted of Anions and Cations and other minerals it naturally wants to replace them by sucking from your skin.. so dries them out..

perhaps the stuff they sell to drink isn't proper de-ionised water and just another con ?

De-ionised water is not the same as distilled water ..

Try Googling it

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
As a above I used to be involved in de ionised water plants in HVAC plants. No way would I drink it, its had everything removed and would taste terrible.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I hate all that di-hydrogen monoxide that is found in water; it should be banned as it has been proven to cause damage to buildings and vehicles and kills many people every year.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Joy , Get deionised water.
Look on the side of regular water bottle.at the contents.
Sodium chloride sulphate nitrates ph levels etcetc
We buy water called glaceau smart water. With nothing in it .
It's vapour distilled with added electrolytes . To help hydrate .
You can buy a machine that does it . But it's very expensive. It flushes your system out , detoxes your body.

Sorry @Ralph-n-Bev but you appear to have been hodwinked by marketing.

Sodium chloride is the same salt as you will have in your food - whether you add it or not (unless you make everything from scratch).
pH levels are a measure of hydrogen ions - your "smart water" will have a pH - probably close to neutral (pH 7) but that is very similar to some spring water. Having a slightly acidic or alkai water is not an issue.

Sulphates and nitrates? Not an issue providing that they are within safe levels; they are naturally occuring chemicals. Your glass of wine will have far more chemicals in than tap water but maybe not as much as your bottled water that has had some chemicals removed and then lots more added. The only reason too add eletrolytes to your drinking water is to hydrate yourself after lots of exercise where you perspire a lot. A normal eating diet with a couple of litres of tap water per day (adult doseage) will keep you hydrated.

You can't detox your body but you can spend lots of money paying people who tell you that you can.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Of course it doesn't help that plastic bottles are porous. OK, yes it doesn't appear that way but put half a bottle of water, with top on and leave outside for a couple of months. You'll find green algae and that's not able to be washed out. It's now incorporated in the plastic.

Water generally has a very low level of algae in it - so small and low level, that you can't see it. However, if you expose it to sunlight for long enough, it grows and becomes evident. This is not proof that plastic bottles are porous nor that algae is incorporated into plastic. The same would happen if you put water into a glass bottle and left it in the sun.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Usually buy my drinking water in large plastic bottles and then use these to top up from the taps when camping .. now that it has been found that the plastic gives off dangerous something or other, does anyone know if boiling the water removes the dangerous compound? Only if away for several weeks wildcamping the water obviously is not fresh daily.

Hi @movan . What evidence have you seen that proves that plastic gives off dangerous something or other?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Water generally has a very low level of algae in it - so small and low level, that you can't see it. However, if you expose it to sunlight for long enough, it grows and becomes evident. This is not proof that plastic bottles are porous nor that algae is incorporated into plastic. The same would happen if you put water into a glass bottle and left it in the sun.
True, it isn't definitive proof and hard plastic will be non porous but bottles are soft plastic. I actually said outside rather than in sunlight. I particularly didn't say sunlight for that reason. Keep it in the shade and it will form

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi @movan . What evidence have you seen that proves that plastic gives off dangerous something or other?
Apparently according to some, it's an urban myth but Google the story below and that might help
Screenshot_2016-08-27-12-15-43.png

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
True, it isn't definitive proof and hard plastic will be non porous but bottles are soft plastic. I actually said outside rather than in sunlight. I particularly didn't say sunlight for that reason. Keep it in the shade and it will form

Perhaps you might compare water stored in glass and plastic in the same environment. Green algae needs light to grow so being outside will make very little difference to growth rates if sunlight is not involved. Can you point to any scientific research showing that algae can pass through plastic?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Perhaps you might compare water stored in glass and plastic in the same environment. Green algae needs light to grow so being outside will make very little difference to growth rates if sunlight is not involved. Can you point to any scientific research showing that algae can pass through plastic?
Is it that important? Goodness me. Just wind your neck in and believe what you want to believe, scientific fact or not.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Apparently according to some, it's an urban myth but Google the story below and that might helpView attachment 121655

Do you have any scientific proof? There are websites reporting that chemicals are released but most appear to be re-hashing hoaxes and half-truthes.

The biggest risk from reusing plastic bottles is the accumulation of bacteria growing due to inadequate cleaning between uses. This is made worse if people drink out of plastic bottles - backwash is laden with bacteria.

This appears to be a good summary:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is it that important? Goodness me. Just wind your neck in and believe what you want to believe, scientific fact or not.

Why should I "wind my neck in"? You made a statement; either you are right and I asking about it so that I am better informed or you are wrong. Or it is a mix of both.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Actually you are stating as fact that algae can get INTO sealed bottles ... its a new one on me too so if you DO have any proof I'd love to read it however I would suggest it does NOT exist!

I also suggest you do NOT tell me to wind MY neck in too!:sneaky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
its a new one on me too so if you DO have any proof I'd love to read it however I would suggest it does NOT exist!

while it won't get into a sealed bottle.. it may already be there.. can be introduced in bottling plant.. same with any bottled product.. they can have all sorts of contaminants..

having worked at Coke plant in Jo'burg for a few years, seen many bottles returned contaminated.. and in the dumpy Coke returnable bottles wash plant, we found candle wax, condoms, rats poo, cloths pegs.. shall I go on.. .. why even today, I never ever drink out of a bottle !! .. even brand new bottles can be contaminated.. broken glass, etc ..

examples of contaminated bottled water
http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2015...fl-groups-packaged-water-bottles-in-sirajganj

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
course we could all have ultra violet systems to clean our water .
this is used in many water works and is one of the ways in africa etc water is disinfected .
the uv,s kill the germs etc .
a google brings up loads but its a bit teccy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back