Plastic basins

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by janeerica, Mar 26, 2015.

1. janeerica

janeerica Read Only Funster

My new-to-me motorhome is very tidy except the plastic basin in the bathroom which has yellow staining and so any tips you may have for returning it to a whiter shade of pale would be much appreciated. It really isn't the end of the world, and is just something I'd quite like to do. Internet tips seem to revolve around caustic soda which seems a bit harsh!
    Regards Jane

2. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Personally I would try using Jif. It wont scour the surface of the plastic and hopefully will get what is probably lime scale from the sink.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Trial and error I think.. if it's limescale

have you tried white vinegar.. or lemon juice.
    or bleach..

4. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi, be careful what you use as my showeroom sink disintegrated because I used the wrong product to clean it and it was expensive to replace it as it was a rapido model :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Is it really staining, or has the plastic itself changed colour? You might be rubbing for ever if the composition and age of the plastic has time altered it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Thetford toilet bowl cleaner can be used on washroom sinks. It cleans and also polishes. Not cheap, but worth a go see here for details.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the best solution for discoloured plastics is to paint them after thoroughly cleaning them. easiest and cleanest way is remove them from the van first

8. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

You shouldn't use bleach on any plastic in motorhomes / caravans it can and will discolour plastic and cause it to become brittle, some mouth washes also cause damage to the plastic, when we had a caravan with a normal cassette toilet when the bowl became slightly discoloured I used to fill it with a strong solution of warm water and puriclean leave it for a couple of hours and just drain and rinse worked a treat, then a wipe round with Lidl's W5 lime scale remover