Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Hi there

After spending the last year, pretty much recovering from horrendous water ingress and basically having to rebuild the back of our van, we are almost there! A few touch-ups and we are DONE! New floor, new ceiling, new walls, new seat coverings, new curtains and new lighting. I dread to think how much its all cost, but we are moving forward and really excited for a year of fantastic motorhoming ahead with our 4 children.

To finish off, we thought we would treat ourselves to upgrading the outside of our van from white to matt black. A bit of a risk as had no idea what it would look like, but we've had so many positive comments about it and I must admit, we think it looks about 10 years younger! I've attached a pic of the before (white) and after (black). I know some of you will say it may lose its value because its doesn't look anything like the original van, but we think its worth it!

And the cost was amazing - £1,100 for a 26ft van - including the roof! It lasts about 3 years and then you just need to get another coat which he said doesn't cost much at all. If you find you scratch it, you simply take it back and its only a really small amount to get it touched up.

So, for any of you looking for a bit of a change, highly recommend Plastidip. And when you are finished or you get fed up with it, you simply peel it off.

Remember to tell your insurance company though!

Faye

Attachments

• Painted motorhome.JPG
    Painted motorhome.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 715
  • Motorhome pic.jpg
    Motorhome pic.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 649

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
If it's ...in effect.. a wrap.. then there's no need to inform DVLA of a non permenant colour change.

I think you'll find the DVLA changed their mind on this, and it IS necessary to inform them of the colour change

Andrew

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Prison vans are white! And they make great motorhomes.

I like it. Enjoy (y)
Puts a whole new meaning to 'I'm going away in my van for a while!' :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do you wear a cape when you are driving it?
I like your thinking ... a nice Batman logo on it would be brill!

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I Find it funny that you make the van stand out in a crowd of a million, and folk call it a Stealth Mo Ho:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
IMG_0615.JPG
Does this plasti-dip come in any other colour?
It comes in any colour you want and is completely removable if you decide you want either another colour or go back the original MH colour.
I had a car done and kept it for a year then changed back.
This was blue originally:

Upvote 0

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
We are in France at the moment 2030 hrs and temp has just gone below 30 deg , sorry but a black van will be unbearable tonight .

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
View attachment 165090
It comes in any colour you want and is completely removable if you decide you want either another colour or go back the original MH colour.
I had a car done and kept it for a year then changed back.
This was blue originally:
Now I like that colour ! Very nice.
( for a car )

Upvote 0
May 19, 2016
Chanteloup
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
since 2014
Me again, I'd appreciate if you report how well it stands up to the effects of road chips please

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Id be interested having my roof covered, any more info ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Id be interested having my roof covered, any more info ?
Yes I can send you the details of where we got it done but if you put in plastidip cars they should come up with people who can do it in your area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Me again, I'd appreciate if you report how well it stands up to the effects of road chips please
Hi we haven't had any problems with toad chips at all. So far this summer it's hardly got damaged. Only around high use areas like the door handles. It we bought a van of touch up paint and it's covered it perfectly in exactly the same colour. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
It will be warm in the summer
Interesting actually as during that hot summer in June when it was super hot we didn't notice any significant difference whatsoever,which was great news! The only thing is if you're not in a lit area it's hard to see at night. Need to get some outside lighting for it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
It looks much less dated and I like it.

If you ever come to sell it you may have to advertise it well for quite a while to get the right buyer.
Yes we do realise this won't be to everyone's tastes as it's quite different inside, too. We went for a fairly funky look, so it might take a while if we sell it as we'll probably have to wait for like minded people to buy it. So I guess we'll just enjoy it in the meantime and hope for some nice long hot summers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
I remember reading your first posts about all the water/damp problems and really feeling for you. So pleased your on the home straights now, and the van looks lovely. Bet your children are so excited, and hope you have many happy travels ahead.
Thank you so much! We've had a brilliant summer in it and thankfully no more problems (we now get regular checks!) here's hoping to more fun times. Kids are loving the new look - especially the teens who enjoy the new 'matte' look. All about image for teenagers these days

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Wow, looks great ,you must be well pleased=couple of good red graphics may add a good contrast if you do get a scratch or two.
well done , a brave move turning out good
Thank you so much! I'm still deciding on what to add to it, so thanks for your thoughts on red as I may try out a few options.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
I really like it as it is so different but that was the thought that crossed my own mind. however, if we all conformed, it would be very boring, wouldn't it?
Yes it's interesting as in the hot June months we didn't notice any significant difference which was a bonus! And absolutely - it feels good to be different!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Ooher, it would do for us, but are you planning on adding any stripes or something to break it up?

But if you like it, result :)(y)
I think we will add to it eventually but I'm worried about spoiling the effect with choosing the wrong style, so I'm still pondering on colours and styles.....watch this space!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Faye Macnaught
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Thank you so much for all your comments. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I rely on my email notifying me of any responses and I didn't receive any until today, so assumed no one was interested in my post

I then logged on to find all of your messages. So sorry, you must have thought I was so rude!

It's so nice to see you all showing an interest. We appreciate we are significantly changing our van outside of the norm - inside and out. But I guess sometimes it's good to be different and if we ever come to sell it, we may have to wait for likeminded people. So until then, we'll enjoy it and have lots of fun family times!

We certainly haven't noticed any difference in the heat from the black colour. I didn't think of that when we had it done, so thankfully we haven't all melted when it's been hot, as a result of the respray!

If we add some stripes we'll post more pictures....

Thanks again for all your posts.

Faye

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back