Plans are afoot for the great escape...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Scrappie, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Scrappie

Scrappie Read Only Funster

Hi all
    After moving house numerous times and still not settling we have finally realised after many conversations over coffee and wine ( not in the same glass you understand) that you can struggle to get to the top in the rat race, but you are still a rat. With something a kin to the parting of the waves we realised that our problem isn't that we are never satisfied with what we have, just that we don't settle, which is different. We enjoy seeing new places, we love meeting new people, we wanna be free! Quick grab a shovel and dig....or swap the caravan for a motor home and go!
    So we are in the process of the dig, shoring up the tunnel, planning and preparing. Getting rid of what we don't need and looking for our road boat.

Just me, himself and 3 small dogs.
    Looking forward to info, advise and chats.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Scrappie, exciting times. :) Welcome to the fun(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Fantastic. We did the same last year, jumped of the treadmill and escaped. It was hard work, I fact the hours we were putting in in the last few months made me ill. That is all behind us now and we have no regrets.

It's tough getting rid of stuff that you once valued or thought you needed but stick with it as the feeling of relief when it's all gone is amazing.

Looking forward to following your adventure.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way. :welc:

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Make sure the tunnel reaches all the way to the tree line or you will need Steve and some string...

JJ :cool:

5. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi scrapie ,we came the same conclusion about 6 months ago , the plan is to buy a Mh ,we ordered one a couple of weeks ago from Belgium ,it should be ready by January .
    we will hang around the UK for a bit as one of out three dogs is 15 and we don't like the idea of putting her through the jabs for Europe .
    other than that ,it's rent the house out and top up the touring fund by doing the odd contract.

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Welcome, and you have come to the right place. Plenty on here full time all year round

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome, good luck exciting times ahead.

8. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Be afraid - be very afraid..... way back in the 19**s, my missus and I were in exactly the same situation. Life was just so boring and we felt the future was just more of the same, so we sold our house and everything inside it, bought a van, and I mean a van, loaded it with what we thought we might need and armed with a one-way ticket to Calais, set off on our adventure. We were extremely naive and not at all street wise and realistically expected the trip to last a few months.
    Seventeen years later we returned to the UK so, pack plenty of tea bags!

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

one important piece of advice is "always have an emergency plan". if your van is your home, what will you do, when it breaks down or needs replacing. too many people just focus on the freedom, especially those who have never owned a motorhome before. done properly, its a wonderful lifestyle choice

10. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Scrappie and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

11. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hello :hi:

12. Scrappie

Scrappie Read Only Funster

Thank you for such a warm welcome everyone.
    I take your point about a plan B...we have a place in France which we lived in for 5 years before realising we hadn't taken enough decent tea bags with us and liptons is just tainted water! Geriatric wanderer, know what I mean?
    So, if we need a bricks and mortar fix, we can go there ( actually himself points out that it is Cobb and stone but who's picky?)
    Currently in the caravan in Cornwall for an itinerant fix. Dreaming of our life on the road.
    I may need a bit more counselling when I get back and start de cluttering! So much stuff!! Arrgghh