Planning to travel for two years

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by celandine, Jun 4, 2016.

1. celandine

celandine Funster

My wife and myself have decided to rent out our home put our furniture in storage and travel around for 2 years the majority of time in Europe has anyone else got experience if this what should we anticipate my wife is especially worried any constructive advice would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

My wife and our two kids were full time for three years.. Have no experience of renting out a house as we sold up the lot..

You will need Full Time motorhome insurance.. as far as I know , Comfort Insurance are they only providers and offer it on a case by case basis.. It's not cheap .. probably around £1,000 - £1,200 .. get this sorted before you do anything else.. it's really important.

You will also need a c/o address for insurance purposes and your driving licence, a friend or family member can provide this..

There are several others on here who are full time, but may have different circumstances.. so specific questions will get more focussed replies..

good luck .. it's a big adventure, there are hurdles, but all can be overcome..

we also have a sister forum, free to join.. dedicated to full timing , Motorhome 365

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

My partner and I bought the our m/home, intending to travel Europe but never got to do it.
    However, I inadvertently spent 9 months, then a year full timing, although 90% of that time in the UK.

Put your house with a good letting agent that you trust. Inspection reports can be emailed to you. Worth the % payable as they will sort out any problems, repairs etc. Don't pay more than 10%, I've just haggled mine down to 8%. I've found rental protection insurance that pays the rent if tenant fails to, pays legal costs of resting them out and rent for 2 months after they leave. Change your house insurance to Landlord's insurance. If you have a mortgage you are supposed to inform the lender.
    Take your EHIC card ( might have changed its name) and a comprehensive first aid kit.
    Pay for European breakdown cover.
    Have a contingency fund and plan in case your vehicle is off the road for any time.

And do it ---- it will be the most wonderful experience. I found full timing with 2 dogs and 2 cats easy and very relaxing. You have to be economical on clothes and space, amount of stuff you can take but in many ways that's actually very liberating.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. celandine

celandine Funster

5. celandine

celandine Funster

We do have grandchildren so we were thinking we may return to UK in the summer for a couple of months. The cost of insurance is a bit of a shock any tips to reduce it. Thank you for your advice

6. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Read Marie Potter and the Campervan of Doom....it's true, they did it and will answer a lot of your questions. It's also funny. I say 'go for it' there's nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Join this site then you can keep us entertained with your posts! Plus, it's a great place to ask for advice and help.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

sorry, no tips.. much depends on your personal circumstances, age and value of motorhome etc.. have a chat with Comfort .. they are very helpful.
    http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/contact/

info http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/2012/12/05/living-in-a-motorhome/

more here http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/motorhome-adventure-blog/living-in-a-motorhome-pros-and-cons/

8. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

You will need to return to the UK for a MOT, unless your van is less than 3 years old.

9. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

If your not living in your van when you return surely that's not classed as fulltiming (for insurance) ?

10. roamingman

roamingman Funster

Do you have a ISBN number of the book please

11. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

KH

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. celandine

celandine Funster

Thank you everyone for your comments
    there is a lot to consider especially spending a couple of months back
    In England in the summertime we usually go out in the MH with the grandchildren

13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

One more point, @Armytwowheels have done exactly what you're thinking of but I believe they'll come back to the UK for a month or two during the summer, taking advantage of this for MOT purposes.

They have rented out their properties and struggle by on their measly income, I'm actually toying with the thought of sending them a food parcel.

Feel free to PM Sandra, they have a mine of info on the subject............ Griff

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. celandine

celandine Funster

:hiya2:Thanks for that it is good to know there are people like yourself who will send out food parcels to the MH fin club needy I will keep you in mind

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

We too are struggling living on just our rent from our one property, any food parcels welcome (veggie)(y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. scotjimland

If you came back and lived in your own home, or rented a property, yes...

but whatever the circumstances, it's vital to discuss frankly and openly with the insurer .. non discloser will void a policy ..
    you may get insurance and it may let you purchase VED .. it may satisfy a police roadside check.. but come the day you actually need it.. up sh1t creek ... and as a full timer on the road 365 you are more likeley to have a claim than the seasonal user ..

In my whole driving life, car and motorhomes, I've only ever had one claim.. guess when.. yes, when I was full time.. and it was a big claim.. which thankfully NFU settled without quibble..

non-disclosure in insurance cases
    "Non-disclosure" refers to the situation where a customer fails to reveal a relevant fact when applying for – or renewing – an insurance contract. It is widely recognised that in some situations involving non-disclosure, applying the strict legal position can result in an unduly harsh outcome for the customer. For this reason, when we deal with insurance cases involving non-disclosure or "misrepresentation" – an incorrect statement made by a customer – we take account of both the law and good industry practice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. celandine

celandine Funster

I am going to have to think very carefully with this one thanks for sharing

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Will look later on but it's on Amazon and we downloaded it onto the kindle. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. celandine

celandine Funster

I am going to try and download book on to my kindle .

20. celandine

celandine Funster

Just down loaded book. I will get on and read it, The wife is currently reading the paper back book by Ali Kingston. Thank you for suggesting it.