Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
worcester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
hi everyone

We are trying to plan our 18night trip to portugal in early august.

we would like to spend 5/6 days at figaro da foz as our target destination but we would like to enjoy the journey there and back.

Could anyone please advise ?????

Thank you

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Odd, Google maps does not know figaro da foz.

But take David's advice, the only way it might be called "holiday" is if you cross direct to Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Blimey it normally takes me 18 days just to dawdle across France listening to Bonnie Tyler's hit "lost in France". Unwind, relax and get off the beaten track, luvvly.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you want discount code for Portsmouth Santander PM me,,,BUSBY.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you look in the resources section you will find two downloads, about france. com and about Spain.com
You will find these of great help when planning your routes through both France and Spain and in particular the non Toll routes which use many non Toll motorways and duel carriageways. They also contain other useful information and is worth a thorough read.
Crossing by ferry to Calais will be your cheapest option, taking a ferry to Spain is not cheap and with the price of fuel now around 1 euro a litre you can drive all the way down to the Spanish boarder for around £100.00 or less.
If you can start your journey from France on Saturday you can drive more or less all the way down to the Spanish boarder without having to contest with HGV traffic as they are banned from using roads at weekends. I would advise you to reconsider Portugal for an 18 day trip. It's doable but you would loose a fair portion of your trip driving. Brittany would be great for a first venture and if you included the D Day beaches and museums these would be on your route and we'll worth a look.
Safe Travels

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The main (non toll) N109 coast road from Porto down to Figueira is a nasty badly maintained piece of crap, I would definitely recommend you take as much of the toll as you can to avoid going on that. There is a lovely free beach aire just south of Figueria campercontact no 29490

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I agree it's a long way to go for a short trip. There are many places to stay en route in either France or Spain that would make a wonderful holiday in August.

Saying that our Swiss friend left the coast not far from Fig Foz on Sunday afternoon and was at work on Tuesday near Bern! He is a headbanger tho!

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
After six weeks in Potugal we only reached the Algarve a couple of days ago. We spent our time traveling down the middle it's great our advice don't make a target just go with the flow wonderful country to drive and people so nice enjoy what ever you do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can go overboard with this planning thing , just think of a place you are heading for, then go with the flow at the time, you might get there, you might not, if you like the looks of somewhere on the way, stop and have a look it might just be as good as you were planning but closer and save you a couple of days traveling (y)

Sep 29, 2015
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
Exp
Since 2013
I agree with Chaser about advance planning, just set off from Calais in the direction you want and play it by ear. Get the Aires books and find one when you have had enough driving or the sun comes out or you see a place that takes your fancy. I have used this philosophy on our last trip - 12 weeks to Spain. You will always find somewhere and you may even meet up with ianthebuilder - we did in Pulpi.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Agree with Chaser. We research lots of interesting places so we have knowledge and choice, but have minimal plans when we get off the chunnel. South of France is just as gorgeous and historical as Portugal and will only take you 12 hours ish to get there. That way you can either enjoy most of your time exploring down there or make your way back up slowly.

OP
OP
ourmand

ourmand

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
worcester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
thanks everyone, yes it seems that what i call a long break of 18 days is not a lot really. We like the idea of seeing everything but its getting the balance right of the journey and the destination.

From santander its saying around 8 hours ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back