planning our first euro trip

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ourmand, Apr 16, 2016.

1. ourmand

ourmand Read Only Funster

hi everyone

We are trying to plan our 18night trip to portugal in early august.

we would like to spend 5/6 days at figaro da foz as our target destination but we would like to enjoy the journey there and back.

Could anyone please advise ?????

Thank you

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

That sounds like a massive mileage trip, in a short timescale, unless you are crossing directly to Spain

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Odd, Google maps does not know figaro da foz.

But take David's advice, the only way it might be called "holiday" is if you cross direct to Spain.

4. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

Blimey it normally takes me 18 days just to dawdle across France listening to Bonnie Tyler's hit "lost in France". Unwind, relax and get off the beaten track, luvvly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. busby

busby Funster

If you want discount code for Portsmouth Santander PM me,,,BUSBY.

6. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

I agree

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The number of times I've hummed that to myself. It just fits perfectly.

8. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

If you look in the resources section you will find two downloads, about france. com and about Spain.com
    You will find these of great help when planning your routes through both France and Spain and in particular the non Toll routes which use many non Toll motorways and duel carriageways. They also contain other useful information and is worth a thorough read.
    Crossing by ferry to Calais will be your cheapest option, taking a ferry to Spain is not cheap and with the price of fuel now around 1 euro a litre you can drive all the way down to the Spanish boarder for around £100.00 or less.
    If you can start your journey from France on Saturday you can drive more or less all the way down to the Spanish boarder without having to contest with HGV traffic as they are banned from using roads at weekends. I would advise you to reconsider Portugal for an 18 day trip. It's doable but you would loose a fair portion of your trip driving. Brittany would be great for a first venture and if you included the D Day beaches and museums these would be on your route and we'll worth a look.
    Safe Travels

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. campa cola

campa cola Funster

The main (non toll) N109 coast road from Porto down to Figueira is a nasty badly maintained piece of crap, I would definitely recommend you take as much of the toll as you can to avoid going on that. There is a lovely free beach aire just south of Figueria campercontact no 29490

11. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

I agree it's a long way to go for a short trip. There are many places to stay en route in either France or Spain that would make a wonderful holiday in August.

Saying that our Swiss friend left the coast not far from Fig Foz on Sunday afternoon and was at work on Tuesday near Bern! He is a headbanger tho!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

After six weeks in Potugal we only reached the Algarve a couple of days ago. We spent our time traveling down the middle it's great our advice don't make a target just go with the flow wonderful country to drive and people so nice enjoy what ever you do

13. chaser

chaser Funster

You can go overboard with this planning thing , just think of a place you are heading for, then go with the flow at the time, you might get there, you might not, if you like the looks of somewhere on the way, stop and have a look it might just be as good as you were planning but closer and save you a couple of days traveling (y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. MikeandKath

MikeandKath Funster

I agree with Chaser about advance planning, just set off from Calais in the direction you want and play it by ear. Get the Aires books and find one when you have had enough driving or the sun comes out or you see a place that takes your fancy. I have used this philosophy on our last trip - 12 weeks to Spain. You will always find somewhere and you may even meet up with ianthebuilder - we did in Pulpi.

• Like Like x 1
  15. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

We always end up changing our plans when motorhoming in France

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

Agree with Chaser. We research lots of interesting places so we have knowledge and choice, but have minimal plans when we get off the chunnel. South of France is just as gorgeous and historical as Portugal and will only take you 12 hours ish to get there. That way you can either enjoy most of your time exploring down there or make your way back up slowly.

17. ourmand

ourmand Read Only Funster

thanks everyone, yes it seems that what i call a long break of 18 days is not a lot really. We like the idea of seeing everything but its getting the balance right of the journey and the destination.

From santander its saying around 8 hours ?