Planing trip to Greece Apr 2012 (1 Viewer)

alanyerala

Free Member
Sep 8, 2010
Derby
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
since 2010
We are planning :Doh: a two months + trip to Greece/Peloponesse, departing UK after 20 Apr 2012.
Chosen route is starting from Derby to Channel tunnel, trough Belgium,France,Luxembourg,Switzerland and Italy, taking ferry from Venice to Patras. Drive to Erodios campsite near Pylos.Taking a few days rests on the way! This will be our first long awaited retirement trip. If any one has been on a simmilar adventure before, let us know of your experiences, your advice will realy be wellcome :thumb:
Regards to all,
Alan and Tina
( and two dogs )

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
This is just a piece of practical advice re the Alps.

There is/will be snow until end of June in the Alps, Switzerland, France and Italy. Some of your route will require snow chains by law, sometimes even if the roads you are using completely clear.

It's possible to avoid having to fit chains if you follow the rivers Marne - Saone - Rhone down to the med.
It's very easy to cross from Calias to Reims, motorway or not, where you can take the Marne valley road rather than the motorway down to Dijon. From there the option of motorway or not is possible for most of the way. Turn left at Marseilles through to Genoa then across to Venice or Ancona.

When you return to the UK the snow should no longer be a problem although very visible in the distance on the high Alps until the end of July.

Sounds like a smashing trip however you get there.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
We are planning :Doh: a two months + trip to Greece/Peloponesse, departing UK after 20 Apr 2012.
Chosen route is starting from Derby to Channel tunnel, trough Belgium,France,Luxembourg,Switzerland and Italy, taking ferry from Venice to Patras. Drive to Erodios campsite near Pylos.Taking a few days rests on the way! This will be our first long awaited retirement trip. If any one has been on a simmilar adventure before, let us know of your experiences, your advice will realy be wellcome :thumb:
Regards to all,
Alan and Tina
( and two dogs )

Dont forget to fill up with fuel in Lux, should be cheapest on run, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
In Greece when we were there I was surprised to find that you use the hard shoulder as another lane and if you did not you were soon made aware that you should. I would check this out.
Have a good trip I will have a look if I can find any details of our stops and post them for you.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
trip to Greece

Regards to all,
Alan and Tina
( and two dogs )
We did a similar retirement trip last year. We crossed the channel and stayed for 2 nights in Ypres near the Menin gate (40 mins. from Dunkirk). We then went on to the Moselle valley and stayed on a Stelplatz at Wintrich (7 euros anight inc electric and free wifi). We then travelled to Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland for a few days.
Leaving Switzerland we travelled through the Gotthard tunnel into Italy and on to Cavallino, which is a good base for sightseeing in Venice. Here we stayed at union de Lido which, in may, is quite quiet.
We had booked with Minoan lines to travel to Patras and we camped on board.
When we arrived in Greece we drove to Killini to catch the ferry to Kefallonia where we stayed at camping Karavomilos in Sami.
Altogether we were away 3 months. Not long enough. We are doing roughly the same trip this year, away in April and back in September.
Do visit Venice. If you wish any more info I would be happy to supply, also log in to Magbaz ( loads of good info on various trips and freecamping)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi we have done Greece twice, the first time we did mostly cultural and touristy things. We did the Pelopenese too.

The second time was a more relaxing beachy type of holiday we also did lefkadas and Kefalonia(which we loved) and Pelepenese.

Greece is fantastic, you could look at our blog link down below.

Also just done recently the blog on Greece by www.europebycamper.com
Addie and sophie

We loved it

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kiasirius

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
used to be years ago
Regards to all,
Alan and Tina
( and two dogs )

Hi
We have a holiday home near to Finikounda.The campsite you mention is very beautiful, but that area is prone to mosquitoes even in winter due to river estuaries & a lake. If you find it gets a bit much, don't despair, check out if campsites nearer this way are open & any better.
We should be in Greece then, so if you feel like it drop us a line or give us a ring. We both used to be motor home owners in previous existences.

We have done the Italy Greece run a few times. Via Venise used to be fab, but people say nowadays you don't sail from Venice. I don't know, but it used to be you sailed virtually down the grand canal, we have great photos from the boat. The trip is long & boring, but saves a lot of driving, as does Ancona route . If I was doing it now, though I would go from Ancona as more direct & shorter time on board, especially if its true about Venice. We used to arrive early & use the opportunity of a free car park in the right place!

Καλο Ταξιδι! Have a good trip!

W & P

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back