places to visit Santander to Barcelona

Discussion in 'Spain' started by RebeccaKristy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Hi all, we are hoping to get the ferry to Santander, July 05. It is eye wateringly expensive! But living in Cornwall is a nightmare, as a drive to Folkestone, or even Portsmouth is a real chore on these Bristish roads.
    My question is regarding the route to Barcelona. Where is worth visiting, and stopping for a while? Which routes would you all take? We are on a tiny budget (due to high ferry costs) hoping to stay in stopovers as much as possible. Will be taking at least a week to do it, then some time in Barcelona and up through the Pyrenees! Should mention that we have the kids with us (6 and 9).

Thanks

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is a game reservation a short drive from one of the ports. Used as a first stop by many. Can't remember the name but this might jog someone's memory.

Usually it's just a one stop run to the coast, stopping a night in Zaragozza.

3. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

It is expensive, we travel from Cornwall too but Plymouth is such an easy run to on a Sunday morning and if you are on the Pont Aven, it has a great restaurant, and we just look at it as a night in a hotel with benifits! Have a good crossing.

4. RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Thank you, I guess you know how bloody far the other crossing are. Can't pay with Tesco points though which is a real bummer! my son gets travel sick, is the crossing usually ok?

5. RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

I have never been to Spain, want to see a bit of it, but not sure if there is anything to see there!

6. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

It is all down to the weather in Biscay, which has its bad moments, however the Pont Aven is a large ship and takes the sea well. If your son has issues get some proprietry pills of some description and take them whilst in the ferry queue, not once it starts to get rolly, also have ginger biscuits on hand, the ginger helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sedge

sedge Funster

You jest! Mountains, plains, green fields, brown scree, eagles, kiss me kwik resorts (complete with English Breakfasts Roast Dinners and Fish and chips, oh - forgot - and curry LOL) - Moorish architecture, amazing history, fantastic rivers and lakes, fab beaches, huge cities, tiny hamlets - skiing water skiing shooting futbol sunbathing swimming fishing walking hiking - Irish bars, bodegas - it's a huge place with everything from Paella Western filmsets to palm forests to new high security prisons.

Plus good food, good wine and sunshine.

Not all that much there at all really .....

• Like Like x 7
  8. hilldweller

There are some fine sights in Spain but nothing spectacular between the port and Barcelona bar the rugged scenery which won't impress the kids.

I've ridden through Barcelona once and blasted past many times so know little of it apart from what I pick up on here. There is the Gaudi architecture of course and the must see street Las Ramblas ? Which because of it being must see is well equipped with pickpockets.

Just south is the delightful town of Peniscola. Has a simple cheap aire and campsites. Glorious beaches.

That ferry is a very expensive, have you considered going to Caen ? Then Brittany. Great for kids.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Have a read of the first part of my blog (the B by my name on the left) which covers the bit from Santander into the Pyrenees. Coming back from Barcelona (not sure why you want to go there with small children!) you might get some ideas from this account of a cycle ride I did east to west along the Pyrenees last year.
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Spain2014

If you are going to the Pyrenees find time to visit the Ordesa national park and probably the most striking place in terms of scenery anywhere in Spain.

The Spanish love kids so you should be fine. My suggestion would be to drive slowly, there are things to see in almost every village.

July the 6th is the start of the fiesta in Pamplona where they run bulls through the streets. The fiesta goes on until the 14th but I suspect every camping pitch will be full. Something the kids would remember though. "Mummy, when does Daddy get out of hospital?"

We are going back next month and will probably do an east/west traverse of the Pyrenees if the weather is good. I'll write it up on here and it should be ready the week before you leave!

This website and app look good for stopovers: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/campercontact-new-website-soon.104003/
    Plus the aires book from Vicarious of course although compared to France the country is almost as bad as the UK for lack of aires.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. hilldweller

Oh boy yes. We were waiting and it was announced boarding is delayed because the ship has not yet arrived. What got off were Martians, well by the light of the fluorescents their skin had a green tinge. But we got on and had a good but boring crossing.

11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

think that's Cabarceno-It's a free Aire in off season,you can hear the elephants and see them without paying to go into the reservation.
    At night egrets roost in the trees around the lake.

• Like Like x 2
  12. sedge

sedge Funster

The safari park aire is west of Santander, not sure you'd want to go particularly west from Santander? There is a resort JUST west (cheek by jowl) called Santillana - fantastic beach. You could go on the mway all the way via Zaragoza, but I just slapped from S to B avoiding motorways and it took me via Pamplona and then a windy (that's a road with bends LOL) route to Lleida which you'd go past anyway on the motorway. ISTR from years ago that Jaca wasn't bad. And as I can't be bothered to check the map, does that route take you through Huerca?

Is Tibidabo still an attraction in Barcelona? We had a smashing day up there, again years ago. Funicular up and down.

13. hilldweller

14. RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

I just meant between these destinations!

Oh my book said free all year, how much is it in season do you know?

Why? Want to bore them with some fine art and architecture, but is it too crowded or something?

15. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Ah-we weren't sure about it being free all yr.
    If you want fine art and architecture you could have a look at the Guggenheim in Bilbao (y)
    I think Barcelona is suffering from being a World Heritage site now.
    Parc Guell was free 1st time we went 9yrs ago,in Oct last yr all the best bits were roped off and you had to buy 'Timed tickets'
    On the plus side Casa Battlo was open so we did that.
    Spent hours just strolling the Ramblas and enjoying tapas in several bars (y)
    The Opera building was worth seeing-we also found a museum of erotica (but guess it's not for your youngsters):)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

17. Waves

Waves Funster

Here is a few
    http://www.campercontact.com/en/spain.aspx?map=1 Cabarceno Have stopped there very good

http://www.The Dark Side/modules.php?name=Campsites&op=display_results&csid=11863 not been to this

http://www.campercontact.com/en/spain/valencia-03-12-46/morella/6516/motorhome-parking-parking.aspx Been here very good

http://www.campercontact.com/en/spa...15389/motorhome-parking-stop-go-la-volta.aspx Been here Very good

Have a good trip I am off to Santander on April 5th and return from Roscoff on the day you go

John

• Like Like x 1
  18. Momo

Momo Funster

This is the route I'd take from Santander to Barcelona:

Santander Docks to Laredo (Beach)
    Laredo to Castro Urdiales (Beach and great food!)
    C. Urdiales to Bilbao (Guggenheim? Tapas on Siete Calles? No beach but fabulous barbecued Sardines in Santurce!)
    Bilbao to Orio (Stop and have barbecued fish to die for! Beach.)
    Orio to San Sebastian (Fabulous city with great beach & tapas)
    San Sebastian to Fuenterabia (now called Hondaribia) and have tapas on the main street which is fantastic. Last day on beach).
    Hondaribia to Pamplona. (Inland. Running of the bulls!)
    Pamplona to Jaca or Huesca.
    Huesca to Lleida.
    Lleida to wherever in Barcelona.

Aires & Parking info:

https://sites.google.com/site/acactivoguia/home

From Santander to Hondaribia is my favourite coast! Bear in mind also that July will be quite hot (30ºC +/-) so the children will probably be wanting to swim before you go inland to Pamplona!

Whatever you decide enjoy yourselves! (y)

• Like Like x 2
  19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Many thanks for that, I may do that in reverse, well anticlockwise, not actually in reverse gear!

• Like Like x 2
  20. RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

That sounds good. Why is it your favourite? Any advice on budget? Street tapas sounds fabulous!!! Can you give me a guide price for that for my budget?

• Like Like x 1