Pixie, Dixie, Jerry ,Minnie and Micky (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
All the above little mice decided to pay our van a visit last month whilst it was parked up waiting for the next trip. We left nothing edible in the cupboards but that didn't seem to make any difference, they shredded plastic bags instead and left little black calling cards in the draws and lockers. Does anyone have a neat trick to deter them, if so do let us know.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use an electronic mouse thingy..
Weve not been hit since we started using it. There are some great tips on here which you should be able to find by searching for words mice trap rodents etc.

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Thanks, we have an electronic mice thingy at home which is excellent but the van is not on hook up as its in a local Cassoa storage. Can you get 12V mice thingies??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We also found out too late that they love plastic bags. Apparently they contain wheat (?) and they can smell them from miles off.

We now never leave any plastic bags in the moho.

We eventually got rid of our unwelcome guests with battery powered traps baited with peanut butter. Also spring traps.

But we never felt the same about the van and got rid eventually.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Leave your Jack Russell in the van;)

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Excellent everyone. I have ordered two battery operated thingies and will put bounce sheets (previously mentioned on the forum) in the cupboards and drawers. Oh and thanks for the info about plastic bags. If all that doesn't work it will have to be the ginger Tom!!!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
image.png

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The Jack Russell is a bit of a let down in that department, you'd find him cowering in the corner!
A bit different to ours,she made on finding mice, she's been search all morning, every day where we've been house sitting for 2 months

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
We also found out too late that they love plastic bags. Apparently they contain wheat (?) and they can smell them from miles off.

We now never leave any plastic bags in the moho.

We eventually got rid of our unwelcome guests with battery powered traps baited with peanut butter. Also spring traps.

But we never felt the same about the van and got rid eventually.

I'm afraid if they are chewing plastic bags... they are building nests for their brood. :eek: Trouble is, if you poison them they crawl up into a unreachable corner and die and stink the place out.:sick: Traps are the only answer I think. Good luck. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My son was building an extension which had a family of Rats homing underneath. One of his Jack Russel terriers is great at reaching the ones that venture out far enough to get caught but the problem persisted until he laid down the sticky mats.

I have seen the evidence, those sticky mats work just fine. Not a very pretty site and of course you still have to dispatch the rodent. He and I don't have a problem with that but I know Joy @movan couldn't do it.

Best of luck with the little perishers.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We found the battery operated ones pretty useless, also the batteries don't last long.

We use a 12v one hardwired, though you need solar or some method of keeping your batteries charged.

We use traps as well as this is a good way of finding out if a mouse has been in.

Can't find the exact one we use but this is similar. Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Thanks Really retired for that link. Do you know if it works on the 12v circuit in the same way the plug in variety do on the hook up. Or is it similar to the battery thingies without the ability for the sonic vibrations to travel the wiring.
Thanks

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sticky pads and tumble drier sheets have worked so far for us.

We also have bait traps under the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back