Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
I stayed over at the Pitlochry carpark with caravan spaces.

We woke up to see new signs all over the carpark. These signs have just appeared as they were not there last weekend.
This was a great stopover when travelling up further north. I also noticed the carpark just northwest of Pitlochry off the A9, that was good for wildcamping, has new no overnight parking/ camping signs.

Who upset the natives?

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
its probably been abused
I don't know, last week was the first time we had used it. There was a number of vans coming and going with only a few overnighting. I never noticed any noise or nuisance. If it has been abused, it is a great shame it was a great place for a couple of nights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I don't know, last week was the first time we had used it. There was a number of vans coming and going with only a few overnighting. I never noticed any noise or nuisance. If it has been abused, it is a great shame it was a great place for a couple of nights.

Sorry didnt mean by you;)
Wouldn't be abused at this time of the year, but in the summer:cool:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Aaaaw what a bummer. I had planned being there on hogmanay. Guess I will have to go park at Ferry rd now. At lease we can stop there or do you think that sign is just for HGV/LGV allowed at Ferry rd?

Deleted User
Aaaaw what a bummer. I had planned being there on hogmanay. Guess I will have to go park at Ferry rd now. At lease we can stop there or do you think that sign is just for HGV/LGV allowed at Ferry rd?
I suspect that will go the same way. Shame as Pitlochry was the perfect stop over for me when heading North.
Are there any others on the A9 that you can recommend

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Ferry road has plenty of coach parking next to the train station these are all marked for coaches.
Maybe a look on the website or a call to the council will throw some light on it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@GJH Do I recall you having a standard FOI template somewhere that we can use? Maybe would be good in resources.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
View attachment 134087 I stayed over at the Pitlochry carpark with caravan spaces.

We woke up to see new signs all over the carpark. These signs have just appeared as they were not there last weekend.
This was a great stopover when travelling up further north. I also noticed the carpark just northwest of Pitlochry off the A9, that was good for wildcamping, has new no overnight parking/ camping signs.

Who upset the natives?

But what does 'Overnight" mean?
Not very specific is it?
What if a motorhome parks up at 1 minute past midnight?
Is that overnight when you would only have parked for one calendar day?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I would hazard a guess that "overnight" is defined as being outside of daytime use, which is probably well defined within the terms and conditions of the sign (not legible on the photograph)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I suspect it needs to be specific and time limited to be enforceable.
Interestingly, if you go to www.pkc.gov.uk and search for 'Motorhome" there's just one result relevant to motorhomes:

Motorhome parking
Although we do not currently have any parking facilities for motorhomes and campervans, overnight parking of unoccupied motorhomes and campervans is permitted in any of the following car parks listed below. These car parks do not have any height restriction barriers and are all surface level car parks.

Pay and display tickets should be purchased if parking between 8am - 6pm Monday - Saturday for all bays used and the motorhome, campervan should not overhang these bays. Should the motorhome, campervan over hang then it is suggested that two parking bays are utilised and 2 tickets purchased.

Car Parks On Street
Broxden Park & Ride Riverside
South Inch Car Park Edinburgh Road
Victoria Street Shore Road
Norrie Miller St Leonard's Bank
Riverside Turning Head Gowrie Street
There are restrictions on the long stay car parks in all Council controlled car parks that prohibit:

• sleeping
  • camping
  • cooking
Please note that we are aware we offer very little in way of available parking for motorhomes and/or campervans and are in the process of looking to create designated parking bays, both on and off street.

Not very clear is it?

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Worth checking but I think Ferry Road says no camping (or similar).

We had a lovely few days at Pitlochry, because we could stay for very little money we went to the theatre, ate out and bought quite a lot of "advance" presents in the local shops. Looks like we won't be doing that again.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Worth checking but I think Ferry Road says no camping (or similar).
Look at the bottom of the photo that Bobby posted. Its a little confusing as to whether mrs can park overnight at Ferry rd or just HGVs

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We walked past Ferry Road when we were in Pitlochry as the car park there was quieter and more level than where we were. I think there were "no camping" signs. We didn't move anyway.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We walked past Ferry Road when we were in Pitlochry as the car park there was quieter and more level than where we were. I think there were "no camping" signs. We didn't move anyway.
Oh so its you thats to blame then:rofl::rofl:
Cant like your post if it had no camping signs...Aaah but did it have no parking ones?

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I reckon that PKC have changed there carparking policies in the town, and now allow HGV's ( if not M/H as well) to park in the Ferry Road Car parks.

A quick visit to google earth shows signs saying no HGVs or caravans. Now if the new signs in Atholl St say you can overnight in Ferry Road the google earth signs must be obsolete.

I shall check out all carparks on my way home next week and report back.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Look at the bottom of the photo that Bobby posted. Its a little confusing as to whether mrs can park overnight at Ferry rd or just HGVs

Hey Ho! "Aire today, gone tomorrow"!.:)

Of Course, one benefit of upgrading the M-H to 3850kg would be that now the "Class" IS HGV?.;)

Wonder if the greedy beggers have though of that one?. Photo copy of V5 should be sufficient evidence?(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
View attachment 134087 I stayed over at the Pitlochry carpark with caravan spaces.

Who upset the natives?
PKC has had prohibition of camping (sleeping/camping/cooking as shown in a subsequent post) for a long time. I would guess that some people have been ignoring the restriction so it has now been made clearer by signage. It was always a car park, never an "aire".
It doesn't really matter if it is just HGV/LGV because only unoccupied parking is allowed, not camping.
But what does 'Overnight" mean?
Not very specific is it?
What if a motorhome parks up at 1 minute past midnight?
Is that overnight when you would only have parked for one calendar day?
Again, it doesn't matter what "overnight" means because camping (as opposed to parking) is prohibited.
Not very clear is it?
The only lack of clarity is use of the wording "parking facilities for motorhomes and campervans" rather than "camping facilities for motorhomes and campervans".

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hey Ho! "Aire today, gone tomorrow"!.:)

Of Course, one benefit of upgrading the M-H to 3850kg would be that now the "Class" IS HGV?.;)

Wonder if the greedy beggers have though of that one?. Photo copy of V5 should be sufficient evidence?(y)
Again, vehicle class is irrelevant because only unoccupied parking is allowed, not camping.
What's with the jibe "greedy beggars"? The council is refusing income if anything, not demanding more.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Again, vehicle class is irrelevant because only unoccupied parking is allowed, not camping.
What's with the jibe "greedy beggars"? The council is refusing income if anything, not demanding more.

True, Maybe not Greedy? (Just stupid then?). People dont stop, people cannot spend?.

But in any case I was (perhaps not too clearly?) making reference to the implication contained therein on the sign shown by the OP, to the HGV use of the Ferry Rd parking area, which normally allows overnight stays by lorry drivers who by LAW are restricted in their driving hours.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
True, Maybe not Greedy? (Just stupid then?). People dont stop, people cannot spend?.
It's a car park, not a caravan site. If people want councils to allow camping in their car parks they need to make a case not just moan about it.
But in any case I was (perhaps not too clearly?) making reference to the implication contained therein on the sign shown by the OP, to the HGV use of the Ferry Rd parking area, which normally allows overnight stays by lorry drivers who by LAW are restricted in their driving hours.
What implication? What is the problem with a direction sign which helps drivers find where to go? It makes no mention of any charge. It wouldn't seeing as that car park is free from 6pm to 8am would it?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It's a car park, not a caravan site. If people want councils to allow camping in their car parks they need to make a case not just moan about it.

What implication? What is the problem with a direction sign which helps drivers find where to go? It makes no mention of any charge. It wouldn't seeing as that car park is free from 6pm to 8am would it?

Whether Paid for or not, LGV parking would normally allow overnight sleeping, for the reason`s I supplied. And the sign IMPLIES the use of the (other) i.e. Ferry Road parking facility by LGV`s. If anyone actually knows different?.

Pete

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@GJH I found an old wording from the Dundee thread so I have sent the council a foi letter and hope when I post the reply you can tell me if its legal or not.

As @Bobby22 has pointed out the signs in Atholl rd on google are old and show no hgv which is no longer the case.

@PeteH our mh is 4050 so I will check the log book to say what it reads as being classed at.

Only when I receive word back from the council or when Bobby posts the Atgoll rd photos will we know more.

IF the signs say parking allowed for hgvs overnight and doesn't include the word " unoccupied" then if we are parked up and no awning or chairs out then Im parked and not camped.

Lets wait and see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back