Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Hi, sorry if this is a really dumb question, but we are newbies!! Can anyone please advise me if there is a correct etiquette for pitching up on site with a foreign van with the door on the offside? Would hate to upset the neighbours! Thanks for any help :(

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Do what you fancy, especially if you want a nice view/quiet sleeping area/away from children's play area or CPD!

That's what we do and EVEN THE CARAVAN CLUB allow you to pitch anyway you want (so long as you obey the "peg rule" :LOL:).

Enjoy your van - Gordon

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have our door on the off side and would always choose to have our door facing away from the one next to us, but sometimes you can't. I then just choose the best way for us. In sites in europe no one worries about it and just does what they like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you're in a foreign van, it is essential that you park as close to the van next to you as possible, particularly if thre is loads of room, leave enough room so you can open the door half way.......

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
whichever way you park someone will moan o_O

park on the end where possible with door to view or hedge, I would rather not overlook my neighbours from choice

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you're in a foreign van, it is essential that you park as close to the van next to you as possible, particularly if thre is loads of room, leave enough room so you can open the door half way.......

Alternatively, park so that the vehicle straddles two spaces and prevents others from parking.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We haven't used many, what I call, posher campsites but when we have it depended on the grass to gravel dimensions. Putting the awning out needs grass for the pegs so we have to park up with the door obviously facing that side. Never had a problem with it on any site.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Quite a few sites now want you to peg out your awning on gravel to protect the grass so dont forget to take good pegs if needed. Presently on a hardstndin gon grass at a C&C site pitched so we can get awning out and car next to us. Have found at most sites if you ask nicely they will do their best to accommodate you, best to get there early though, while wardens are still fresh.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for that Rapido925M, but whats the peg rule?!!!!

The two big UK "clubs" have their pitches marked out with pegs.

You will be forced to look at a demonstration in the office with a little model showing how you WILL park in relation to the peg on your pitch.

If you deviate from these orders by as much as 1cm there will be armed response by the SAS, you and your offspring and all their friends will be banned from the "club" for life and the four horsemen will ride.***

*** The sentence above may contain some slight exaggerations. But you will receive a severe bollocking from the warder. He will almost certainly be called Norman (y):D

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I park whatever way suits me, not anyone else. I then erect my full length 4ft high windbreak to mark my territory then erect my awning at the other side, job done ;). It's your space, obey the rules but park how you like (y)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last time we were on a CC site (a couple of years ago) we were asked to park whichever way round we liked so long as the appropriate corner was against the peg.

The one time we used a C&CC site (last month) we were shown our pitche and told we could reverse in or drive in forwards, whichever suited us best.

We don't often use sites but rallies/THSs vary quite a bit. Some stewards aren't bothered but others prefer habitation doors to not face each other (often away from the prevailing wind so not for a pedantic reason). We tend to pitch with the hab door not facing that of our neighbour but at Peterborough this year we were all pitched facing downhill because of ground conditions That meant that our door was facing our neighbours' door but it wasn't a problem for either of us.
We have deliberately pitched with hab doors facing at a couple of Fun meets but that was when we were on @ShiftZZ control duties and it was a service to other Funsters :D

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have a German Hobby Van and the habitation door is on the drivers side we park near the peg as requested but some are very near a hedge so can't open the door if backing in.we then drive in so have more space on door side.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Think Brian means don't park downhill from an access road......
Always park so you exit downhill whether in reverse or forward gear.
I know John - but could I pass up a change to wind up @hilldweller Prince of Bruges? Of course not :LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
Welcome to the mad house Doddy ... ;)
We always park to suit the mrs. If she's happy I don't care about site wardens and etiquette.
Just use your common sense and like others have mentioned there will always be someone moaning whatever you do. :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doddy

Doddy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Welcome to the mad house Doddy ... ;)
We always park to suit the mrs. If she's happy I don't care about site wardens and etiquette.
Just use your common sense and like others have mentioned there will always be someone moaning whatever you do. :D
Thank
you for your advice stooo. I thought keeping the Mrs happy sounded like a good idea but when I mentioned it to Garry he didnt seem keen on bringing her along too!!!!! :whew: Deb

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doddy

Doddy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Thanks everyone for your advice, sounds like as long as its not a CC or C&CC site we can pretty much please ourselves, unless of course Norman's on there!! Deb

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
  1. Doddy - but what's the peg rule?!!!!
    It's a cross between understanding the offside law in Football, the LBW rule in Cricket, the scrummage rules in Rugby and the scoring by the Judges in Olympic Boxing.
  2. It's a rule the vast majority of people with common sense think is as archaic as their Website forums.
  3. I've seen Caravanners park up and then dig up the peg and replant it where the caravan finished up.
  4. Then I've seen the Wardens, shaking their head, come next day when the caravanner has gone, pace out where the peg is in relation to where it should be and replant it in the original position.
  5. It's some sort of game played between people who pay a fortune to park on CC sites and Wardens who apply the rules as best they can.
  6. Best not to worry about the 'Peg Rule' – it'll only make you depressed!
:france::france::france:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doddy

Doddy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
  1. Doddy - but what's the peg rule?!!!!
    It's a cross between understanding the offside law in Football, the LBW rule in Cricket, the scrummage rules in Rugby and the scoring by the Judges in Olympic Boxing.
  2. It's a rule the vast majority of people with common sense think is as archaic as their Website forums.
  3. I've seen Caravanners park up and then dig up the peg and replant it where the caravan finished up.
  4. Then I've seen the Wardens, shaking their head, come next day when the caravanner has gone, pace out where the peg is in relation to where it should be and replant it in the original position.
  5. It's some sort of game played between people who pay a fortune to park on CC sites and Wardens who apply the rules as best they can.
  6. Best not to worry about the 'Peg Rule' – it'll only make you depressed!
Thanks for that KeithChesterfield. I thought it was a known fact that (I have to be careful here) many women (me included) dont understand the offside rule, nor do I know the first thing about cricket, rugby or boxing!!! Maybe this whole Motorhoming malarki is just too complex for me?? Anyone got a tent they want to sell???!!!

Upvote 0

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
It's alright Doddy - most men only understand, at best, one of those rules and no-one has a clue about them all.

Stick with the MH - tents are for Scouts and Guides and most people on here are a bit too old for that malarkey!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back