Aug 5, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"I`m a newbie"
Hello folks,
When leaving my chosen or allocated pitch to go sight seeing or shopping etc, should I place a pitch marker and if so what do people use :Confused:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I have seen made up boards with m/h reg number, but most people seem leave their ehu cable.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi I personally have a square number plate on a post , I also usually leave my electric lead if on a proper site or cl/ cs.
Terry:sin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I had a sign I'd made meself It was on a piece of ply 500mm x 100mm, it gave me rego and "occupies this pitch"

Conversation!

"Eeerrrmmm! 'scuse me mate, would you mind if I crawled under yer Van to get me sign?"

"What sign?"

"The sign you drove over that said this pitch was occupied by "rego # " yah blind Bast**D!!!:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Upvote 0

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I picked up a pitch marker at the local car boot for a couple of quid. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
whatever you leave make sure it is no value.....

a bucket, with the bottom missing, pegged to the ground would be ideal

some folks will steal the teeth from your comb given chance.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had an A3 sized sign printed on plastic correx board for under £10 from EBay. I've screwed that to a triangular traffic cone and leave it in the middle of the pitch when we go offsite. Not had an issue since using it but used to get the occasional problem when we just left the electric cable and a chair

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you are having a pitch marker made up I would have one with your names on it and not the registration number so that you can use it if you change your motor home, we leave a sign and the electric cable.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We use a cheap and cheerful plastic bucket with 'Pitch in use by (reg no.), fill it with water so it doesn't blow away, you could use your grey waste then nobody would pinch it! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We use a cheap and cheerful plastic bucket with 'Pitch in use by (reg no.), fill it with water so it doesn't blow away, you could use your grey waste then nobody would pinch it! :ROFLMAO:

Using your black waste would be even better. ::bigsmile:
You would be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit :Blush:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have used all sorts. Bucket with two litre bottle of water on it. Home made pitch marker, hey lead, pop up cone. Best one though is the screw in thing with two dog leads on it and a bowl. If someone takes the pitch I'll take the dogs and put them on their leads.........

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We use the pitch marker that we bought at a CC site.........it says on it "MOTOR CARAVAN USING THIS PITCH" however, it doesn't stop some dozy tuggers from setting their caravans up on your pitch. Then he'll say he didn't notice it!!:Doh:

The annoying thing is, that should this happen we were told that it's the motorhome that has to shift to another pitch:Angry:

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We use the pitch marker that we bought at a CC site.........it says on it "MOTOR CARAVAN USING THIS PITCH" however, it doesn't stop some dozy tuggers from setting their caravans up on your pitch. Then he'll say he didn't notice it!!:Doh:

The annoying thing is, that should this happen we were told that it's the motorhome that has to shift to another pitch:Angry:

Bill
a generic sign like that without personalisation is likely to grow legs as well. its no use to you in somebody else s locker and they all look the same so no proof it was yours:Doh:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
a generic sign like that without personalisation is likely to grow legs as well. its no use to you in somebody else s locker and they all look the same so no proof it was yours:Doh:

Yep, agree, it could walk, but it's hardly of great value really and we tend to go on the assumption that the majority of people on sites are still honest. Touch wood, we haven't had anything nicked yet:thumb:

Bill

Upvote 0

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:Smile:Bought a sign from The Caravan Club, Just £6.50, attached it to a small pole.
Nicked, oops sorry, aquired:thumb: a roadside cone, took top off and rammed small pole inside.
We've used this on numerous sites, and it does a really good job.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We now tend to leave some of our bikes chained up to the table and chairs, awning carpet plus the EHU, its very obvious tha the pitch is occupied and not had an issue to any trying to take our pitch. More common though is that someone has come and parked very close to you and made it difficult to get back in hence the awning carpet is an indicator to them of your required space.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This may sound really daft but I assumed that if you book and are allocated a certain pitch then it is yours for the duration of your stay. If you decide to go out doe the day then surely it is still your pitch to return to especially if you have EHU?

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
This may sound really daft but I assumed that if you book and are allocated a certain pitch then it is yours for the duration of your stay. If you decide to go out doe the day then surely it is still your pitch to return to especially if you have EHU?

You should never assume.
It makes an ass of u and me. ::bigsmile: :winky:

Not everyone takes any notice of pitch allocation, especially if they don't like the one they were given. :Angry:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
In 10 years I've used my motorhome reserved pitch sign err nver:Blush:

If it dirt have my reg number on it would be for sale

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
While we were camping a few years ago there was a motorhome parked beside our tent. They drove away and left their basin...or so we thought so a few hours later we decided to take it and use it. We went out later that day only to find when we returned in the evening so had the motorhoime and they were looking for their basin.

One red face as we returned it explaining we thought they had left it behind.

Oops .We live and learn.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I used to have a Traffic Bollard (RED and white Cone) and placed my M/Home using this pitch sign onto...At one site someone actually pushed the bollard and sign out of the way said he never saw it.....2 foot high with a Motorhome sign on it..well I never....He moved when I asked eventually...

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I had a sign made up that said

" This pitch is reserved for reg. +++++++++

Do not park here unless you're really hard and feeling lucky.

My 12 bore doesn't take any prisoners"

. . . . and do you know what?

Some bastard stole it! :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back