Pistyll Rhaeadr, retreat campsite in Wales

Discussion in 'Best Campsites for Chilling Out' started by scotjimland, Oct 15, 2014.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've never been here but it looks like a great place to relax, just wondered if anyone had visited .. ?

Looks like a fabulous location , the campsite is basic and may not suit everyone.. but if you only want to visit the falls you can park overnight in the waterfalls car park..
    nr Llanrhaeadr YM, Powys SY10 0BZ, Wales

Tel:01691 780392

Pistyll Rhaeadr is an enchanting waterfall in the Berwyn Mountains, just inside Wales, west of Oswestry and Shrewsbury.
    At 240ft (80m) high it is the UK tallest single drop waterfall

The Retreat Campsite at Pistyll Rhaeadr is set amongst one of the most beautiful and scenic landscapes in Wales. It is situated a stone's throw away from the majestic Rhaeadr waterfall (one of the seven wonders of Wales).

[​IMG]
    It caters for both campers and caravanners through a private membership scheme which is also available to recognised groups.

The site is located at the end of a valley on mostly flat pastureland with the Rhaeadr River flowing through the centre.

Whether coming alone or with family, all users share one thing in common; they use Pistyll Rhaeadr as a retreat, to get away from the stresses of everyday life.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

thanks for the link.. not great reviews .. and it's as I said.. basic facilities.. but I guess it is a case of location, location, location

4. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

It looks like a nice place to walk through

5. scotjimland

yes it does.. and you could stay overnight in the carpark.

6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

We've been there years ago, before it became a retreat or whatever they call it now, we used to pay about £2- £2.50 night. Stunningly beautiful place but V E R Y B A S I C with only the council bog available for toilet cassette emptying. Be warned the road to it is single track and runs along the side of the valley edge for a couple of miles and the turn onto it in the village is tight with buildings on both sides. Last I heard it had been made into a Buddhist retreat and alcohol is not allowed so possibly not for many funsters.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

its only about 10mls from us in oswestry.and as Dave and Jim have both said it is a gorgeous place .but not for everyone.and it is very narrow on parts of the entry.i didn't know about the no alcohol rule.but I guess that rules out 99% of MHF members then:LOL::LOL:
    brian and jo.

8. Busman

Busman Funster

Not heard about the Buddhist retreat but agree about the road up there, been a couple of times on my motorbike which wasn't a problem.

9. scotjimland

Nothing on their web side about being a Buddhist retreat, but even if it were, would be of no consequence.. both of us a are teetotal, so 'alcohol not allowed' wouldn't affect us.. quite the opposite.

My only objection is the £25 annual member fee and the nightly charge of £16 for a family of three which I think is a bit steep. We would probably only stay a two or three nights which makes it rather expensive.

So to sum up.. it's a fabulous location, expensive , very basic facilities, no alcohol, no noise, no radios etc.
    That is what you go for.. 'peace and quiet' .. the attraction for many.. and why I put it in the 'Chilling out ' forum.

It's now on my list of places to visit..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  10. dave newell lvs

I could well be mistaken about the buddhist retreat bit and the no alcohol rule, I thought I remembered someone telling me that about the place. Definitely worth a visit but I wouldn't pay £16 a night to stay there.

D.

11. dave newell lvs

• Like Like x 4