Pioneer AVIC-F160 Satnav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 2spritelyislanders, Jun 15, 2016.

1. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

Our new van came with this satnav (for trucks and campervans) and we've only just figured out how to turn satnav on!::bigsmile: Having got this far in 10 weeks ::bigsmile: we're wondering if it's worth using instead of our TomTom which is good apart from the odd detour down narrow roads.

Any advice/guidance from Funsters who use one would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

2. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

If yr TomTom won't let you get stuck under a low bridge or take you down a path that is too narrow then use it. Otherwise I suggest that it is better to use a tool specifically created for the job.

3. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

Thanks LL. We only use satnav as a guide and never follow it if it looks like a road we can't use but on occasion we've come unstuck. Can now reverse and do a 3 point turn with great finesse, ha, ha! Just really want to know if any Funster who uses the one we've got and thinks it's a good enough alternative to TomTom.

4. clanjones

clanjones Funster

Hi - we have one in our Rapido came with a Pioneer 'head' unit. We tend to use it in conjunction with physical maps and I also use Via Mitchellin for route planning as in France it will give you a good idea of 'Peage' costs if you put in a car towing a caravan (Class 2) assuming that is what your MH is.

It got us out of a few bits of bother but I also took executive decision to over ride it, hence why we use maps as well.

I quite like the pioneer head unit as it has bluetooth and we play everything through it from the TV (when we use it, which isn't often!) and internet radio stations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I think that it a pretty impressive bit of kit. Pretty accurate and you can do lots of things with it if you get into the extensive menu, it even records your trip if you like to do that, consumption etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

I have a similar Pioneer unit and use it all the time. Upload all your favourite POI's is also simple. Great bit of kit but does take a minute or two to figure out!

• Like Like x 1