Pinpointpal No Longer Trading - Tracking No Longer Working (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Pinpointpal went into voluntary receivership on 3rd January so their tracking service is no longer working :( Sad news as it worked well during the 3 years that we used it. If like us you have just paid for another years tracking then suggest raising a Paypal dispute as hopefully should be refunded under their Buyers Protection Scheme :unsure: We paid in December & could submit a claim up until June this year so worth checking. Pinpointpal kept invoicing for tracking as they hoped to find a buyer for the company - it is currently still for sale & has a customer base of 2500-3000 according to the administrators but the tracking service is not operational so no cover for our motorhomes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, if it had a sim card you only need the IMEI and sim phone number and you can use any web based tracking platform.
I use rewiregps....£10 a year

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Ok, if it had a sim card you only need the IMEI number and you can use any web based tracking platform.
Thanks for that - think it's a sealed unit but will have a look when we can. If anyone tries this & it works please post on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Its a great shame - it was a preferred unit by the local police in Somerset and a discount was offered. found out they were in trouble back in December so bought a new snooper unit - excellent product and very very accurate

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ok, if it had a sim card you only need the IMEI and sim phone number and you can use any web based tracking platform.
Could you give some explanation pappajohn, preferably in simple English for a simple soul?

Rewiregps sounds interesting but I have never heard of it.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I take it that its not Thatham approved so not acceptable to insurance companies?

They have to be "Expert" fitted with a Certificate, to qualify, Mine is fitted for my OWN peace of mind, not some Seat Polisher in an office!. In any case "Discounts" rarely exceed 10% So £27, does not go very far between the cost of mine and a "Phantom+Annual Fee", which at the last count was still in the Hundreds+Monitoring fees.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They have to be "Expert" fitted with a Certificate, to qualify, Mine is fitted for my OWN peace of mind, not some Seat Polisher in an office!. In any case "Discounts" rarely exceed 10% So £27, does not go very far between the cost of mine and a "Phantom+Annual Fee", which at the last count was still in the Hundreds+Monitoring fees.
I agree entirely but that won't wash with insurance companies when they insist on a tracker for vans over a certain value.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I agree entirely but that won't wash with insurance companies when they insist on a tracker for vans over a certain value.

Don`t you find that a lot these days?. Security or Safety devices / inspections being required in many walks of life, which then is, required to be fitted / carried out by (so called) "competent" bodies?. At, of course, EXTRA cost (often inflated) to the Client before cover or licence is issued. "Insisting" on an "Approved installer" is just another way of keeping the money pit open IMV. There are good genuine devices / installations, which if carefully chosen, are capable of being fitted and managed by oneself, and which do the exact same function. It`s like having to have DIY stuff signed off these days. Which really Pi***s me off as the people who come to do it are often LESS qualified than myself!. I take it personally as an affront to my capability!. BUT I suppose it creates "jobs for the boys"??

I found this recently. which made me chuckle:-

Second Amendment.jpg But of course the "Anti Gun" mob wont like it!.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Too true I hate paying anyone to do something I can do my self especially when you are paying for an inferior job compared to your own work.
Last summer retitled my garage roof a couple of years ago fitted a new gas boiler in the house, done by myself I know its done properly.:)

Just hope the pound doesn't plumet any further and the new van comes in under 75k so I don't need a tracker then if I want I can fit a cheap one that does the same job.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I find it fascinating that these days of modern tech the insurance companies still insist on trackers being fitted as a part of the insurance. Thieves these days have access to all sorts of devices to find and block trackers. My daughter and son in law have a tracker fitted in manufacture in their Bailey caravan. They proudly told the insurers that they had this only to be told - waste of time the thieves know where they are fitted and its the first thing they do rip it out and chuck it so no discount.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My daughter has trackers on her kids phone and knows where they are, havnt been into how it works, but couldn't we leave an old phone permanently wired up somewhere in the van and use that for tracking?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
My daughter has trackers on her kids phone and knows where they are, havnt been into how it works, but couldn't we leave an old phone permanently wired up somewhere in the van and use that for tracking?
Yes that's a basic option & certainly better than nothing although drains the battery if not on EHU - it was what we had before the Pinpointpal so may be a temporary fix for us until we find a suitable substitute.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If anyone is trying to reclaim their tracking cost via Paypal the good news is we have been refunded via the Paypal Buyer Protection Scheme so hopefully it will be the same for you - only £25 but we were pretty angry to be sent an invoice & us pay for tracking for another year in good faith when the company clearly knew they were going to cease trading :mad: We won't be pulling the motorhome apart to remove the tracker just yet as still a very, very slim chance that a buyer for Pinpointpal may still be found. Regardless it is worth spending a few minutes filling in the form sent by the liquidators (deadline midday 14 February) although again very little chance of any money back or the tracking service restarted by a new owner but worth a try.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I find it fascinating that these days of modern tech the insurance companies still insist on trackers being fitted as a part of the insurance. Thieves these days have access to all sorts of devices to find and block trackers. My daughter and son in law have a tracker fitted in manufacture in their Bailey caravan. They proudly told the insurers that they had this only to be told - waste of time the thieves know where they are fitted and its the first thing they do rip it out and chuck it so no discount.
Jammers are really not an issue, it is something that people talk about yet isn't a real issue.

A small localised jammer will be massively overpowered as soon as a device goes by a mast

I would agree that Factory fitted devices are predictable

The latest generation of tracking devices have all sorts of clever things built in. Our latest App driven Non Starter will send a message out, sound a siren and immobilise the vehicle if it gets a wiff of being tampered with electronically

Its a bit like us all knowing that thieves can pick locks, yet we all lock our doors when we go to bed a night.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The monitoring companies going bust has bedeviled the industry since the beginning of the Tracking market

In 1996 we (Van Bitz) we selling LEO (Low Earth Orbit) Tracking systems, manufactured an monitored by Armada trading. £1499.00 installed.

You can imagine how pleased we were to find out that Armada went bust!

We removed everyone and re-installed what was then RAC Trackstar, now known as Teletrac

It was an expensive lesson for us to learn!

I could name about 20 tracking companies that have been and gone, leaving people with expensive equipment installed, but for no one for it to talk to.

This is why we have stuck with Trackstar for all these years, the sheer size of them means that should anything happen the subscription income would be worth saving. From memory they now have over 500,000 vehicles on subscription, being standard fit on BMW, Jaguar, Citroen, Subaru plus loads more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back