Piggin MH locked me out, This is a bit long

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whereru, Aug 2, 2014.

1. whereru

whereru Funster

Has this happened to anyone else.

I was staying at a Caravan Club site the other night because I had to be in Exeter by 06.00 and would have disturbed my neighbours leaving my hose at 05.00. I was all ready to bed down but thought I would use the loo before I got changed, got back to the van after attending to my ablutions to find the piggin thing had locked me out, of cause I had already locked the cab and window. Through the door window I could see my bag with my phone, the keys were hanging in their proper place. It was about 21.45 and the whole site had gone to bed, I went to see if the warden was available but there was no answer to my knock, I was getting worried by know and cold, the worst thing was I could have done with a drink and I could see my chilled wine sitting on the table.
    I managed to collar a man going back to his caravan, he lent me his phone when I explained what had happened, I had to phone my sister (who was in bed), she drove to my house to pick up my spare keys, the only problem was she didn't really know were the camp site was so I said I would meet her on the road. I knew there was a barrier in place so the man with the phone gave me the number because mine was in the van. It would take my sister about 45 minutes to get to me so I thought I would have a walk to the road just to keep warm. While I was at the barrier the warden and his good lady came back, I explained what had happened and was a little shocked at the ladies reply, she said in a very arrogant snooty voice "Make sure you lock the barrier after you because we don't want travellers coming in" then they walked off leaving me a little put out to say the least and also thinking my membership pays them to provide a service to members or am I wrong, I know they had finished work but I thought they could have at least offered the use of a torch.
    Anyway I started to walk to the Main road to meet my sister, by now it was pitch black there so I went as far as a dared and found a lamp post next to a small roundabout, I thought that would be the safest place to stand, there wasn't much traffic but the cars that did pass slowed and gave me an odd look, like what the bloody hell is a middle aged woman doing standing under a lamp post at the side if the road in the middle of no wear. A farmer on a tractor passed and asked if I was ok or needed assistance, I explained I was waiting for my sister and would be OK thinking she would be with me very soon. Half an hour later she finally found me but the story wasn't over, we tried to get back onto the site but couldn't open the barrier because it has a bloody padlock on it, the sort with a barrel with numbers but there was no light to see the bloody numbers, so with her headlights on full we finally managed to open the piggin thing. We put the barrier back in place but didn't close the padlock because we didn't want to go through the same rigmarole when I let her out. When she left she said she would let herself out and lock the barrier so I could get to bed. I was just getting settled when there was a knock at the door, it was my sister someone had locked the bloody barrier, she couldn't see the numbers with her lights this time because she was the wrong side of the post so off we go again with a torch. By the time I got to bet it was gone 01.30 and I had to be up at 05.00.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Oh dear not good did you find out why it locked itself

3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Moral of the story?

Get your sister to live closer!

OR!

Take a set of keys with you, where ever you go!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

There should always be a 24 hour contact number for someone on site. I would complain because it may have been a matter of life and death. Suppose an ambulance was needed?

• Like Like x 4
  5. whereru

whereru Funster

I didn't take a key to the loo cos was only across green and didn't think the van would do such a bad thing to me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. whereru

whereru Funster

Never thought of emergencies, it is a bit naughty having a padlock with numbers and no light to see them in the dark.

• Like Like x 3
  7. whereru

whereru Funster

The van locked itself, I was wondering if this has happened to others in the past or is a common problem. Would it be safe to hide an emergency key outside the van or dose that sound a bit daft

8. webby1

webby1 Funster

As this story shows it's useful to have a hab key hidden outside.....................anyone wanting to break in will just do so and not look for hidden keys............................and you'll only need it once and it's worth it's weight in gold.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Yes it happened to us, we were locked out, I think it was because the door handle inside was not in the horizontal position , but slightly "off key" Luckily we had a set of keys with us, we now never go anywhere with out a set of keys!, or we leave a cab door unlocked

10. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I would write a letter of complaint to the CC re the attitude of wardens & locked access.

• Like Like x 2
  11. whereru

whereru Funster

I can understand having a barrier for security but it needs to be a bit more user friendly than an old fashioned barrel padlock with no light to see the numbers, there was a solar powered light above the lock that had run out of power also the padlock wasn't the easiest to manoeuvre.

• Like Like x 1
  12. barearse

barearse Funster

Zip lock spare keys under chassis where only you know .

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We learned to our cost a couple of years ago never expect help from Caravan Club, you can be disappointed , a good idea to have a habitation key safely hidden somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  14. whereru

whereru Funster

Just need to get another hab key cut, can't hide the spare because I need it if I take my mum & dad out, dad doesn't always want to come out with us, prefers a bit of peace & quiet round the van so I leave him the spare keys.

15. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Have to say you are very considerate to your neighbours to do that(y) ?? Most people I know, myself included don't even worry about what the neighbours think and come and go as we please:whistle:

16. whereru

whereru Funster

My drive runs under my neighbours bedroom, it's OK driving the car out but manoeuvring the MH out is a bit noisy at 5 in the morning.

17. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Happened to me too but I found the cause - it was Sheba my Lurcher. She could also open the door but only when I didn't want her to.

18. whereru

whereru Funster

I'm so glad my dogs weren't locked in the MH or they would have had the whole site awake, they don't like seeing me outside the van, they think I should be inside waiting on them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Masman

Masman Funster

Found this out with mine.If I lock doors with central locking when inside. if I don't unlock with fob and just open habitation door once it is shut it will stay locked.nearly locked myself a couple of times :rolleyes:.Luckily my other half was still in the van:)

20. zulurita

zulurita Funster

Often locked ourselves out. Hate these central locking systems that include habitation door. Always have to take keys with us.