Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
" Originally Posted by eddievanbitz View Post
Just a word of advice, "Fun" may be there, but trade stands and dealers will be sparse. I have asked loads of the traders I know if they will be at Pickering and it is a big no!

We (Van Bitz) always do York, (so going North isn't a problem) but we have been told that Pickering is a poor showground as it is either way too dusty, or, with the lightest of rain a mud bath."

If it keeps raining like this it will be more than a mud bath & more like a lake, anyone taking their fishing pole. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Keith,

Somebody did mention water skiing :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: but it seems there's no where to park the boats.:Eeek::Eeek:

We have had fountains on the local golf course, I thought it was very scenic but the golfers were not amused.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
we have held Country Festivals on the site but nothing like as big as the Motorhome show.

I wondered also where everything would go but been told the owner has more land than it seems.

Anyway we are well and truly booked in so it remains to be seen as to how it will go!!

M

magsonp

Deleted User
Its wet wet wet

How folks just to let you know I live in Pickering and all of the showground ( as is York racecourse) is an absolute quagmire so if the show goes ahead at all it will be a miracle,the fields look more like lakes that grassland.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2008
South Beds
Funster No
Exp
27yrs ish
How folks just to let you know I live in Pickering and all of the showground ( as is York racecourse) is an absolute quagmire so if the show goes ahead at all it will be a miracle,the fields look more like lakes that grassland.:Angry:
Oh dear. Picture in todays Daily Telegraph newspaper of York Races being called off because of Rain. Couple of dogs shown playing in the lakes where we usually drive onto the pitches. Is Yorkshire always a waterloged Bog?
Also sounds like giving it a miss if also few traders?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i heard on the local news that York racecoarse will be closed throughout september for re-turfing work and ALL events (including horse racing) are cancelled.

this could explain why the show has been moved.
i'd beleive this above all the other rumours doing the rounds ie: residents complaining, warners failure to repair last years damage (mudbath)ect.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just checked the EBOR calender on the website and there are NO fixtures or events listed for september, only august and october.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear. Picture in todays Daily Telegraph newspaper of York Races being called off because of Rain. Couple of dogs shown playing in the lakes where we usually drive onto the pitches. Is Yorkshire always a waterloged Bog?
Also sounds like giving it a miss if also few traders?

only when it rains. so that could be a yes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

hi magsonp and welcome to the FUN.

we're just up the road from you in scarborough.

john.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
i heard on the local news that York racecoarse will be closed throughout september for re-turfing work and ALL events (including horse racing) are cancelled.

this could explain why the show has been moved.
i'd beleive this above all the other rumours doing the rounds ie: residents complaining, warners failure to repair last years damage (mudbath)ect.

Hi John,

The course will close to allow new drainage to be installed, it's to late for the Ebor meeting though.

Next weekend is the feast of the lanterns at Pickering lets hope there's no more rain so it can go ahead.

Don

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Pickering

Hi

Just returned from the C&CC NFOL at Pickering. (The most overpriced non-event we have ever attended, but that's another story).

Can't believe that Warners have moved from one mud bath to another without any of the benefits of being in York. :Doh:

The Pickering site is awful. Poor access from the main road, hedged fields linked by a very pot holed access road with many 'pitches' a long long way from the central venue.

After all this rain some fields were underwater, others had large incredibly boggy areas made worse by the tuggers and their 4wd's churning it up. The ground seems to be something clay-like that goes soft and oozes when it gets wet.

By Saturday afternoon the access roads had dried out resulting in large clouds of dust every time a vehicle moved.

The situation wasn't helped by there being only one elsan emptying tank at the entrance to each field, up to 1/2 a mile from where you could be pitched. Oh, and many overflowed. :Angry: Fresh water was from a few seemingly fixed standpipes which were ankle deep in mud with not even an old pallet to stand on.

No toilets or showers, apparantly the fields used for camping aren't strong enough to support a portaloo (or was that just cost cutting).

Sorry if you've booked and paid. It's a lovely part of the world, but a truly terrible venue for a major show. You'll need to be prepared for very long walks, dust storms or more likely being towed off.:Sad:

bsb2000

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
Barlby, Selby
Funster No
Have to admit if I hadn't already booked I wouldn't be going, maybe they think because they get a couple of dozen trucks for truckfest they can take on a couple of thousand 'vans.

I remember pulling a tractor unit out of the mud several years ago at a truckfest, so doesn't sound like they've learnt anything.

Ian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we already deciced not to go and have taken time off work to visit our cottage in scotland for a long weekend instead.:thumb:

just possible that Warners might have read Donmadge's post about moving to the harrogate showground next year, well established showground and perfect for this type of event.:thumb:

sounds like all the stories about pickering are true:Sad:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
pickering

hi to all,hope its ok im booked on the disabled site with my rv hope its not flooded and miles from the show.fingers crossed,hope to see some funsters there give us a call if you pass hurricane rv with motorhomefun stickers in,muz

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Flooding

I have just taken this pic from Sky News website.......caption reads:
"A man wades through floodwater near Pickering in North Yorkshire, which has surrounded a house"

Also someone posted on Facts..........

Hi All,
Just a cutesy notice, the Pickering MCC Pre Rally at
Clifton Rugby Club, York, is now cancelled. The Rugby pitch is now occupied by DUCKS and that is not a joke.
I was due to host that rally, as I have done in the past, its very bad.
The river tributary has burst its banks again
The Pickering Showground is not much better, Pickering Town is again flooded tonight almost a year to the day since the last time.
I spoke to Warners yesterday and asked what contingecy plans were in place, the young lady said "they would get some straw in."
Lets hope we get some drying weather during the next 10 days.
Don't forget your wellies, Mac

I don't think straw is the answer.........it was of very little use at Malvern :RollEyes:

To anyone considering attending...................leave the motorhome behind and take a canoe instead :Eeek:

Attachments

• pickering.jpg
    pickering.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 72
B

bedbug

Deleted User
pickering floods

I have just taken this pic from Sky News website.......caption reads:
"A man wades through floodwater near Pickering in North Yorkshire, which has surrounded a house"

Also someone posted on Facts..........

Hi All,
Just a cutesy notice, the Pickering MCC Pre Rally at
Clifton Rugby Club, York, is now cancelled. The Rugby pitch is now occupied by DUCKS and that is not a joke.
I was due to host that rally, as I have done in the past, its very bad.
The river tributary has burst its banks again
The Pickering Showground is not much better, Pickering Town is again flooded tonight almost a year to the day since the last time.
I spoke to Warners yesterday and asked what contingecy plans were in place, the young lady said "they would get some straw in."
Lets hope we get some drying weather during the next 10 days.
Don't forget your wellies, Mac

I don't think straw is the answer.........it was of very little use at Malvern :RollEyes:

To anyone considering attending...................leave the motorhome behind and take a canoe instead :Eeek:

Just arrived home from Whitby and saw all the floooding in the fields around there.On one field you could just see the tops of the goal posts!!!
I have been to steam rallys in the past and if it rains nothing moves as it quickly turns to mud!! So before you go to Pickering again CHECK THE FORCAST and save the stress and disappointment.

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Just arrived home from Whitby and saw all the floooding in the fields around there.On one field you could just see the tops of the goal posts!!!
I have been to steam rallys in the past and if it rains nothing moves as it quickly turns to mud!! So before you go to Pickering again CHECK THE FORCAST and save the stress and disappointment.

Hi there bedbug. Didn't know you performed with Dr Busker. See you at the Blackwell Ox at Carlton in Cleveland soon. We are in the last static on the right as you go up the site. Feel free to knock n say hello.

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
we are going booked in with MMM, we were there in all the snow & rain at Easter, adds to the fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back