pick up at Manchester Airport (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I'm picking up my daughter and her 3 kids plus lots of luggage from Manchester Airport at approx 7 am. I'm having to use the motorhome because we need it's garage to accomodate all the luggage. I can't use the car parks as there are height barriers...what's my best option re: pick up / waiting ?

Lots of van sized taxi's go to and from the airport...what do they do ?

Thanks

Allen

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
There is a pick up area that is drive through. It is covered but I think you should be ok. Unless your MH is particularly tall. The mini buses etc go through it. I think you must stay with the vehicle at all times you are there though. If you cannot fit then I would go to the Hilton car park which is walking distance from departures/ arrivals etc. This is a drive through car park without height restriction. There was an 18tonne curtainsider in it when I was there last month.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Depends on which terminal. Terminal 1 pick up car pack has no barrier. Terminal 2 has height limit as its a multi-storey but there is an over-height area for minibuses etc.and so does terminal 3. If you wait outside the airport perimeter until your daughter phones to say she has collected her luggage then for terminal 1 either use the open air car park which will cost £3 for 30 minutes or she can make her way to the ground floor departure area (tell her to head to departures and when she sees the outside go through the doors and meet her there). For terminal 2 she needs to go upstairs to departures drop off where you can pick her up there or use the over-height area which again costs £3 minimum. For terminal 3 tell her to wait outside by the FedEx clock and pick her up there. Do not go to any of these until she is ready as you cannot park or wait but have just enough time to load her up before security move you on. Hope that helps.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
At airport now. Never noticed height limit on T1 pick up car park before - 3.4mtrs.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Thanks for the advice everyone....daughter still hasn't told us which terminal she will arrive at, she's flying in from Washington USA. When we know the terminal we'll have a drive through recce, I'll drop the wife off, then I'll go park up outside somewhere (Hilton ?) and wait for her to phone for me to come and do the Dads taxi thing.

thanks

Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
You can park free for 15 minutes at Clayton Hotel but better still at Premier Inn on Runger Lane where you can park for 2 hours free but it's about a 5 minute drive from the airport.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
United Airlines 06.55 is a daily flight into terminal 2 which from your point of view is the easiest to pick up from. She needs to go up in escalator to the departure floor and go outside to where passengers are dropped off. It's also the easiest to get to from the Premier Inn. Just follow signs for T2 departures which will take you up the ramp.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Hi Paul, daughter has just confirmed United Airlines terminal 2.
Have looked on google maps (& Earth) and it looks like Premier Inn Runger Lane is J6, and then back roads into the airport.
Will there be signs directing me to terminal 2 ?

thanks

Allen

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Hi Paul, daughter has just confirmed United Airlines terminal 2.
Have looked on google maps (& Earth) and it looks like Premier Inn Runger Lane is J6, and then back roads into the airport.
Will there be signs directing me to terminal 2 ?

thanks

Allen
Yes J6, you come to a roundabout with Marriott hotel ahead of you, turn right, then 100 yds or so you come to traffic lights, turn left, another 100yds and Premier Inn on left. Don't park in Holiday Inn, that's not free. When you come out of Premier, turn left, past one road immediately on right, continue past two roads on left and take next road right, then left, then left again, over roundabout, then to next roundabout, go last exit (Terminal 2 departures) up ramp and head to far end where you are more likely not to be moved on.

ps. don't use Clayton Hotel, changed policy, you have to go to reception now to get exit ticket and they want to know if you have dropped off or are picking up.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Back home now Paul....directions absolutely spot on, thanks.

Dropped wife off, I went to park up at Premier Inn, 15 mins later phone call to pick them all up.....they were waiting at the far end of the arrivals area....really suprised at how busy the motorway and the airport was at that time (6am to 7.30 am).

thanks a lot to all.

Allen

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Glad to help. I was up there myself dropping off at 07.15. Yes the M56 was busy then, not always so since they did some alterations around J7 but that's how it goes somedays. Airport always busy at that time especially on a Monday, business folk going out. I checked on your flight and noticed it had come in early otherwise I'd have come round to Premier Inn and said hello but I guessed you'd have been on your way by then.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Hi Paul...I think we left the ramp area at about 7.15 am. 3 grandchildren (13, 12, & 8) never slept on the flight, they're still hyper and driving me nuts. Do they ever sleep ? My daughter says they'll do a good 12 hrs tonight, hope so.

thanks once again.

Allen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back