Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
Inland Waterways
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2015
I have a few questions about motorhome insurance and I guess this is the best place to ask such questions. I am interested in gathering your experience.

We have a 10 year old motorhome which we have had for two years. Two trips to Spain and three to France have already been enjoyed. When setting up the initial insurance on its first year – we were given 5 years no claims on the MH. Because we had a car with umpteen years of no claims. However, when it came to the second years cover and after shopping around I found a cheaper quote. However, they would only recognise 2 years NCB! So I am aware its something of an insurance pick-n-mix jungle out there.

But I digress...

I need several forms of insurance cover if only for my own peace of mind.

1. I want to cover the MH fully comprehensive cover.

I need a minimum of 190 days continuous EU cover. As we will spend up to 6 months travelling.

I want breakdown cover EU wide for a minimum of 190 days continuous cover.

I have a professionally built trailer to carry a small motor scooter.

For instance, would you add the trailer on the MH insurance or would you organise separate insurance.

Have you experienced any of the above and how did you go around organising. All in one package or multiple separate items. Your advice appreciated.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Ins co's generally tempt new customers with an 'Introductory Bonus', in your case it was 5 years. This is not usually continued on renewal after they've won your business.

My son toured 5,500 miles in Europe (Sweden to Greece, Spain and back) for 4 months last year with m/h, and trailer carrying a scooter.

Broken Link Removed

For the m/h I would recommend contacting Comfort Insurance who may be able to quote on the other elements of your needs. Maybe the trailer as well.

The scooter will presumably have its own insurance.

As far as breakdown is concerned he took out a Nationwide FlexPlus current account which for £10 a month gives him unlimited breakdown cover throughout E.U. for ANY vehicle in which he is travelling whether he owns it or not, plus health cover anywhere, plus cover for computer, phone, camera, and other personal items. I have done the same which covers my m/h, two cars and three motorbikes which I used to have to cover with six different individual breakdown policies at around £400 a year.

Bear in mind that if you have been abroad for more than 3 months your NHS entitlement will have lapsed for a period of time and after you return to U.K. there will be a 'waiting period' to re-qualify. I have checked this with my local GP practise who confirmed it, but as my GP said, it's doubtful that he or the NHS would have known whether or for how long you had been abroad (especially since passports are no longer stamped within Europe).

Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Be aware that the Travel Ins with Nationwide is only for a period of 31 days at a time , if you want longer you need to phone them, we got quoted £90 for 90 days. But it would cover two separate 90 day periods per year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back