Picasa 3.6 photo organiser (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's not often I recommend or extol the virtues of a piece of software, especially running on Vista, but having just downloaded and tried Picasa 3.6 I am truly impressed..

I thought Apple iPhoto was good, and it was the lack iPhoto for Windows that prompted me to look for something better than Windoze Photo Gallery, this free offering from Google is streets ahead..

It works seamlessly with Picasa picture hosting, Google Earth for Geo tagging, Google Blogs and Gmail, it has face recognition and a host of features I'm still playing with .. It also has basic photo editing, adequate for everyday use.

If downloading make sure you get version 3.6 and not 3.1 which doesn't have face recognition ..

jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's not often I recommend or extol the virtues of a piece of software, especially running on Vista,

jim

Praise indeed.

It is without doubt one of the most difficult things to organise. "I'll show you a picture of Sorrento" -- now is that Sorrento 2003, Sorrento 2007 or when we did it from Austria 2006.

I'll give it a try.

R

reader

Deleted User
I too have been impressed with Picasa, it has the benefit for me as being able to work on both Windows and Linux. There is also the online version which you can sync with. Must give it a try on the phone:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I was pointed towards Picasa a couple of years ago and use it, almost, to the exclusion of others. My favourite gizmo is the picture straightener which I had not found on anything else I'd used. Face recog sounds like a useful thing too, so I'll download 3.6 ASAP.

Thanks Jim:thumb:

John

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I have used Picasa for a few years and agree it is a super photo storage and editing.

One point to remember is that Picasa only views your photos from files already on computer (ie Windows Photo Gallery) so if you make any amends to your photos on Picasa, make sure you save them. Picasa will always show the amendment but it will not have changed your original if you have not saved.

May be obvious to most people but I found out the hard way :Doh::Doh::Doh:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I have used Picasa for a few years and agree it is a super photo storage and editing.

One point to remember is that Picasa only views your photos from files already on computer (ie Windows Photo Gallery) so if you make any amends to your photos on Picasa, make sure you save them. Picasa will always show the amendment but it will not have changed your original if you have not saved.

May be obvious to most people but I found out the hard way :Doh::Doh::Doh:

It also sees them on an external Hard drive so you can carry them in that and save your laptop memory.

Used it for years in it's various guises and it just keeps getting better.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Praise indeed.

It is without doubt one of the most difficult things to organise. "I'll show you a picture of Sorrento" -- now is that Sorrento 2003, Sorrento 2007 or when we did it from Austria 2006.

I'll give it a try.

Now zapped.

Some nice ideas but did not work for me. No way to share with 'er indoors and it's search facility was weird.

I'll keep looking.

petertee

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
since June 2008
Picasa download

Thanks Jim for your enthusiastic post about Picasa. I changed from PC to iMac some time ago and do not have happy feelings about iPhoto - it's too restrictive in how I can organize my photos (over 27000) so I have high hopes for Picasa.
I'll report back on my success (?) . . .

Cheers

Peter

petertee

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
since June 2008
Picasa for me

Straightforward download. Set it to work and found all sorts of stuff but now going through the pile sorting and sifting seems just what I need.
Thanks again.
P.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Straightforward download. Set it to work and found all sorts of stuff but now going through the pile sorting and sifting seems just what I need.
Thanks again.
P.:thumb:

Glad you found it useful.. I've tried many and found it the best...

It takes a lot of time to tag and name files and pictures, but it pays big dividends later on.
Most people (like myself) wait until they have thousands before getting to grips with them ..then it's a daunting task.. but once done, adding new pictures and tagging is a breeze..

Picasa is like a tool box of spanners.. only as good as the user, put them to work . :roflmto:

jim

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well Im well in to this now Jim, The editing is really good for free.

Just trying to work out how I can host my albums. They are now available via my blog somehow/?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back