LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd love DJI Phantom 3 or 4 (e.g. Link Removed) but they cost over £700 and would require additional batteries for more than around 10 mins flight time.

They are very good with great images and stable flying. Get the best that you can afford; cheap ones don't fly as well and the video is rarely as good.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
just one bit of advice! find out were any controlled airspace is in relation to were you wish to fly and make sure you stay out of it,
this also applies to Microlight strips and parachute drop zones, gliding sites there are also a lot of unlicensed airfields that don't have an ATZ but can still be active with light aircraft,

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Been thinking of doing the same myself so am interested in the reply's.
I quite fancy a small drone to take aerial shots of aires and campsites to add to my videos.
I thought it would be good to see more of the surroundings of places so that people can judge if somewhere is worth stopping for the night.....or three.
Never flown anything like it though and I suspect they might be a bit tricky for newcomers to control safely.
I was more interested in still shots but I guess moving video would be much more interesting.
Don't want to spend a load of dosh so any ideas would be welcome.

Won't be flying one anywhere near controlled airspace.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive used them on a professional basis ,i was camera operator whilst the other guy controlled the drone ,we were fully acredited and adhered to CAA rules ,in some countries they are banned unless you have a liscense , i think that the CAA will try to legislate them in the near future

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think the DJI Mavic is the best for our circumstances, as it can fold down into a compact size. i don't know how easy to fly they are but I think they may be noisy and we all know that noise and motorhomes don't mix (as in the case of generators). There are some very sensitive types out there who may object to you talking photos, whether you are entitled to or not. So far I've decided that it's not worth the hassle.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Mike has got the phantom 4 with a couple of extra spare batteries.
Broken Link Removed
0f9d8ef7-8143-4c99-92be-3e089b9e0110.jpg@!550

The Netherlands.

dc359d9c-f9ce-48bd-b279-a46a9fa38b15.jpg@!1200

Denmark

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That's the kind of money you need to spend for decent kit if you want ease of flying with crash avoidance, steady camera with good resolution & lens, and a good range. You should see the price of the ones that true professionals use!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I dropped enough hints for Christmas, No such luck but not a total loss as I got the GoPro Hero 5 but not the chopper! :(. Ah well it's my birthday soon. If I don't get one then I'll have to find a sound business reason for buying one :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There's a guy I occasionally watch on You Tube who flies one from a motorbike.:Eeek:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I dropped enough hints for Christmas, No such luck but not a total loss as I got the GoPro Hero 5 but not the chopper! :(. Ah well it's my birthday soon. If I don't get one then I'll have to find a sound business reason for buying one :)
Tax deductible business expense mate, promo vids of rallies and shows, road safety, driving your Motorhome, etc etc all to go into the resources section to attract new members, not to mention the other benefits of security of your moho and stall whilst at shows! Tax deductible mate!(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I bought the Phantom Vision II when it first came out.. £890 with a spare battery
I think I have flown it 5 times.. Hopefully this summer I will get some more time with it

The Vision II is an excellent bit of kit and can be had at reasonable cost nowadays.. Seen them for £275

I have the GoPro 4 with all the gadgets..
Tip for you @Jim , for all the mounts and odds and sods go on fleabay.. a fraction of the cost.. The only thing I really spend lots of money on are spare batteries.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
If your budget stretches ....DJI Mavic Pro. It's the best "drone" for travel but it's £1100 !!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Merseyside police were trying out a crowd control drone and it went awol straight into the river never to be seen again £13000 down the Swanee .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mike has got the phantom 4 with a couple of extra spare batteries.
Broken Link Removed
0f9d8ef7-8143-4c99-92be-3e089b9e0110.jpg@!550

The Netherlands.

dc359d9c-f9ce-48bd-b279-a46a9fa38b15.jpg@!1200

Denmark

I'd want it equipped with missiles for that !(y)
Merseyside police were trying out a crowd control drone and it went awol straight into the river never to be seen again £13000 down the Swanee .

Why would you think you could control one whilst eating a doughnut ?:D

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I fly one of these: (see pic for scale reference) And as you can imagine they can kill you if struck by one. Don't think a small drone is any safer. Do by all means get one as you will have a lot of fun, and as a video or photography tool they are simply amazing!

Make sure you get training before you fly (find a local radio modellers club)

Never fly near airfields, microlight sites, drop zones or with in a TMA (thats near a commercial or private airport and that can be up to several miles from it.

Don't get a cheap one, get one that has at least return to home function

Don't fly near people or animals: ie parks or where there is a gathering of any sort.

Be careful of charging LiPo batteries as they can and do catch fire and sometimes explode

DJ phantom or the like are good, not cheap but reliable

Get one and enjoy!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I have 2, neither have a camera. First was a quad at about £50 solid as a rock, dead easy and even enough power to lift a tiny camera.

The other I bought for a bit of indoor Christmas fun, a hex-copter. Under £20. Steady as a rock, dead easy, hand sized. Grandson and other relatives showed it unbreakable inside with limited space.

Under £50 buys one with a camera, get one and try it out, if you like the results then think of going for an expensive one.

I reckon the novelty wears off pretty quickly as a photographic tool.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I fly one of these:

I crash many of those. Actually only 400 size. The most difficult thing I've ever tried and I was once quite competitive with 10cc RC boats.

But the latest quads and hexes more or less fly themselves, the pilot just hints where he wants it to go. Why they are very easy is, unlike a helicopter, there is little concept of "front", you go out and to return you just go backwards. I guess it's a little bit more complex if photgraphing.

I am totally amazed how they can pack in so much technology for the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back