LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My dad, who is in his late 80's decided that he would delete all of his photographs from his laptop, they all went into the recycle bin and then he emptied the recycle bin...
Don't ask, I don't understand him either.
Now he has changed his mind, before I go down there are there any SIMPLE, FREE tools that I can use to recover the pics?

Ta

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you system restore to a date before deletion will they reappear?
Je ne sais pas! Just throwing at the wall to see if it sticks!
Think that should do the trick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
System restore will not recover the deleted personal files. You will have to use a recovery programme like Recuva. The problem will be the more the PC is used the files could be overwritten.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You may be lucky with one of the recovery programs if he's not done much on the pc since deleting, there are professional recovery companies, but very expensive.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Go to http://www.recovermyfiles.com/, download the software and conduct a free scan on the drive they were deleted from.

If the scan locates the missing items you will have to pay for a licence key to unlock the recovery function of the software.

I've used it and it works - you get what you pay for.

The existence of this sort of software is why you should always remove the hard disc drive before selling a computer. It's based on the principle that files aren't actually deleted - all that happens is the computer's indexing system is told to 'forget' their location, but they remain stored there. They're only deleted when the disc space is physically overwritten with new files, which is why it's important to minimise the use of the computer until the recovery has been attempted.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
he existence of this sort of software is why you should always remove the hard disc drive before selling a computer. It's based on the principle that files aren't actually deleted - all that happens is the computer's indexing system is told to 'forget' their location, but they remain stored there. They're only deleted when the disc space is physically overwritten with new files, which is why it's important to minimise the use of the computer until the recovery has been attempted.
that is what file shredding software is out there for. it deletes the file then randomly overwrites the disk space it took up multiple times. even government forensic analysts cant recover those files

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said above, Recuva (free) is worth a try. Managed to salvage around 80% of photos from a similar occurrence on relations pc.
Broken Link Removed

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
So if your selling a pc, if you use the recovery disc and reset it to a state to when it was purchased, will all the 'old' files still be recoverable?
I got rid of an old pc once but removed the hard disc for fear of this.
I still have the hard disc and use it for storage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So if your selling a pc, if you use the recovery disc and reset it to a state to when it was purchased, will all the 'old' files still be recoverable?
I got rid of an old pc once but removed the hard disc for fear of this.
I still have the hard disc and use it for storage.
It depends on how the reset process works. If it includes an equivalent of the file shredding software mentioned above then files will not be recoverable. If, however, it only overwrites that part of the drive which it needs to then files on other parts of the drive may be recoverable.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
as said dont write or install any more on the drive that also means dont install any recovery programmes using that drive as the boot drive.
You will have to take it out and use it as a slave on a pc or using a usb/sata or usb/ide connector to get best results.
I've had good success where a drive has been reformatted and even re-partitioned with getdataback for ntfs or fat partitions.It will take some time searching for lost or deleted drives and will turn up lots of unwanted files but you can use options to search for instance for *.jpg fies.
There are others but this got me out of trouble.
https://www.runtime.org/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back