LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have some speakers that I want to attach to my TV, the TV connection is a Phono but the speakers are twin wire,,, is there a easy way of conneting the speakers cable to a plug?

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
If you don't want to solder or crimp just get a phono to phono lead, cut it in half, and join the wires to your speaker leads with connector block or tape.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Depending upon connector, most types require solder.

One of the twin wires on each of the speakers should be marked, either with a coloured stripe, or a difference in the insulation moulding. Fit one speaker to one connector, but the marked wire to the same connection in the connector ( these wires should be connected to the speaker in the same way - say + to +.

The reason for this polarity is the speakers must be 'in phase' i.e. Both pushing air at the same time for the same note, otherwise the sound will tend to cancel itself out - one speaker emits, while the other is absorbing. This is of course talking about each cycle of sound.

Colours of the connectors vary, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector, but as long as you know what is what!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Will this work, as the phono output from the tv will not be amplified ?

You need an amplifier between the tv and the speakers....

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Sorry, just got back.

You might be might there! All of my RCA connectors are inputs, but you would need to check the TV manual for the output ratings. They will probably be specified as an AV output if you need an amp. (I know where there is a good one on fleabay)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back