Phgv & tachographs?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by estcres, Feb 16, 2010.

1. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Hi there,

I expect that this questions has been asked before.

If my vehicle is reclassified as an PHGV is it liable to the tachograph rules etc?,

I have checked the VOSA, DIRECT GOV and M.O.T sites but have not ben able to see a definitive answer.

As far as I can tell, a PHGV is not liable to Tacho or Driver time rules.

Regards

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

No, as a PHGV motorhome, you do not have to use a tachograph or obey the driving time limits. Whether it is sensible to do so is, of course, another matter.

Philip

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

tachograph, driver hours and electronic speed limiter exempt.......for the moment....things can change :Sad:

rediculous really....you can drive a 40ft 12ton motorhome on a LGV licence but you dont need to abide by the laws for 40ft truck drivers.

4. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Not only that but you have your OWN set of Speed limits too, which DO NOT conform to the HGV speed limits!

You can drive at 50mph on normal roads, 60mph on dual carriageways and 70mph on motorways (as long as you are not towing, of course!) - 60mph on motorways if you are towing.

Southern Ireland have already insisted that any motorhome over 3½ tons registered in Southern Ireland is now subject to speed limiters and any motorhome over 7½ tons is liable for Tacho. Wonder how long it will be before some 'Jobsworth' tries to bring it in over here. :Angry:

5. Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel Read Only Funster

If you have a tacho fitted and this is the only speed indicator in the vehicle it still has to be sealed and calibrated.