LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So the wheels were looking sad, took a front off to repaint, check the pads whist in there, not sure I like the look of that.

So pull calliper off and take pad out "HOLY SH1T".

It's like it had been dipped in HELL. All the edge crumbling. Part detached from back. Yet not that low on thickness. It was the edge that made me look closer, thank goodness.

Now I'm used to arriving home from across the Pennines in cars with the front disks a dull red. But I'd never really considered just how much extra heat I was generating with 3.5 tonnes under my right foot.

I'll certainly descend hills a bit more steadily from now on. I invite others to do the same.

Would I have made Garda ? Probably not.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Use the gears Brian, plenty in there, but not the one with R on it ::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Well spotted Brian, as you say 3.5 tons plus a couple of gallan of wine.
You need tip top braking for that, enjoy Garda and do go and have a look at a town just down from Garda, Malcesine, totally gorgeous.
Take the bus really easy and it stops at the top of town, no cars allowed.
Wish were coming now...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It's like it had been dipped in HELL. All the edge crumbling. Part detached from back. Yet not that low on thickness. It was the edge that made me look closer, thank goodness.

Brian,

I remember a couple of years ago some cheap break pads were imported from China and the same thing was happening to them you could't of had some of these fitted could you?

Dave

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian,

I remember a couple of years ago some cheap break pads were imported from China and the same thing was happening to them you could't of had some of these fitted could you?

Dave

These are the originals. We bought it at 4000 miles and now it's near 24,000.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Malcesine, totally gorgeous.
Take the bus really easy and it stops at the top of town

It's top of the list. Though I was going to take the water bus.

So what's stopping you coming !

And, sorry I never got to have a proper chat at Newark. It was just a very cluttered meet. Now White House Farm was brilliant. Until the field filled I get through 6 batteries without a crash and when it was filled it was still nice and cosy, got to speak to people.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Brian, Are Ferodo still over in Chapel-en-le-frith? You could get really good deals at the trade counter (usually in the bar at The Dog at lunchtime):roflmto: VMax

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, Are Ferodo still over in Chapel-en-le-frith? You could get really good deals at the trade counter (usually in the bar at The Dog at lunchtime):roflmto: VMax

:Smile:

Certainly no longer Ferodo - something GENERAL and I've a feeling they shut up shop.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
So the wheels were looking sad, took a front off to repaint, check the pads whist in there, not sure I like the look of that.

Now I'm used to arriving home from across the Pennines in cars with the front disks a dull red. But I'd never really considered just how much extra heat I was generating with 3.5 tonnes under my right foot.

I'll certainly descend hills a bit more steadily from now on. I invite others to do the same.

Thanks for that Brian:thumb:

If we do manage to take the Saint Gothard pass will have to take it easier than maybe we would have, seeing as for that type of trip the MH is still very new to us, not exactly your standard run to Worthing:Smile:

Cheers
Gary

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If we do manage to take the Saint Gothard pass will have to take it easier than maybe we would have,
Gary

When I bought the vignette it was on the basis of saving fuel, I never made the connection of all that fuel used going up gets dumped to the brakes in HEAT on the way down.

Pretty dumb eh.

So take it easy or get to the bottom a tad quicker than planned.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hope you have a good trip Brian, and make sure you sort those brakes out before you go, don't want those drums on fire like we did.
hopefully we'll be in Garda end of June.
:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
It's top of the list. Though I was going to take the water bus.

So what's stopping you coming !

And, sorry I never got to have a proper chat at Newark. It was just a very cluttered meet. Now White House Farm was brilliant. Until the field filled I get through 6 batteries without a crash and when it was filled it was still nice and cosy, got to speak to people.

The ferry is a much better idea, stops at the bottom of the town in the square, lots of good places to eat, as you get off the ferry and walk up the square there are chairs set outside the bars, the top on the right is an excellent place to enjoy a drink and people watch.
No worries re Newark we enjoyed the weekend and I`m certain we will get to chat again, had a good few days with the heli`s at home, though nearly lost the 500 yesterday when the tail rotor came adrift of the shaft, ugh.
The Copter-x is hovering real well and that`s with a £12 clone 401 gyro, excellent value i`m thinking.

We are off to Scotland for a month, no real plan other than eating at Mckays in Durness, apart from that we`ll just drift, New Age travellers..:ROFLMAO:
Take care Brian and we`ll chat when you get back from Italy.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
That's another Christmas card less.

Pavarotti once said to me "If only my voice was like yours, how different it would all have been".
I seem to remember that it got worse the more booze you drank..... or was it my hearing got worse the more I drank!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

When going down hills, DON'T stay on brakes. Keep letting off and reapplying - it gives them time to cool down and prevents blueing of the disc.:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Just in case anyone doubts how serious this is, look......

Attachments

• bp1.jpg
    bp1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 59
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Ouch that`s a goner, certainly makes you think perhaps I will just check mine.

Hussar

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Have you thought of fitting "grooved and vented" discs? I had these fitted to my race spec mini, very good at dissipating heat away from the discs.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you thought of fitting "grooved and vented" discs?

No. 4 pads are expensive enough.

They are pretty massive hollow disks about the size and weight of a mini wheel. The problem being me driving it like a mini.

One day I may grow up. Maybe.

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
Jeekers :Eeek: :Eeek:

Scary stuff.

I've changed many pads & shoes on many different cars over the years, but thats the worst pad I've ever seen. :Eeek:

Lucky you spotted it. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back