Phantom tracker questions (1 Viewer)

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
Hi
I have recently purchased a motorhome and in the documentation folder was a Phantom tracker card telling me the device number etc etc, I contacted phantom and asked if the device was still installed in my vehicle, I thought maybe the previous owner had transferred it to a new one, they confirmed that the device was still installed in my vehicle, but, the airtime had run out some time ago and therefore the device had EXPIRED, and they would happily exchange the device and re fit the new one for £299 this would include one years airtime and fitting.
my first question is, is this a good deal ?
secondly, how can a GPS tracking module EXPIRE, and is this just a ploy from Phantom to generate another install, why cant the original device be used and I pay for the airtime ?

just seems a bit dodgy to me, I may be wrong, any replies welcome ::bigsmile:

ta

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just seems a bit dodgy to me, I may be wrong, any replies welcome ::bigsmile:
ta

Sounds like a scam to me too.

I'll bet if you said "sorry I'm not paying that" they'd change the tune to "oh well we may be able to re-activate it".

But would you want to deal with such a firm ?

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
tracker

we bought a van in november after talking to the last owner he told us the tracker was still on the van we were going to do the same as you but havnt as yet not sure we will be now after hearing your story think everyone are con men these days :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ddavewoods

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
I have sent the folowing to Phantom, will be interesting to see their reply.

"Hi Simon

Can you explain how the GPS tracking unit can EXPIRE, I was hoping to be able to carry on with the subscription as the device is already fitted, sorry if I sound a little miffed but this seems like a bit of a scam to me.

regards

Dave Woods"

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Phantom unit is riveted together and to change the SIM card the unit will have to be opened and the SIM card taken out from the mobile Nokia phone inside.

I guess that they have decided that it is easier to attend the vehicle and plug a new unit in, rather than bugger around drilling out rivets in the field as there are wires soldered onto the phone and damage could occur I would imagine.

Sim cards cost nothing up to about a fiver! Phantom is normally £499.00 so you are getting a discount.

As a comparison Trackstar the biggest selling GPS stolen vehicle recovery system in the UK is £299 including installation, VAT and your first years subscription. Like many UK tracking companies they offer European coverage using a company called Euroguard. Euroguard and Trackstar are owned by Trafficmaster (The Blue Camera people) who are owned by AVIVA (Norwich Union)

Eddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddavewoods

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
phantom location

if i can find the Phantom unit I may consider dismantling it myself, and remove it, if it looks simple enough, if its not possible to insert a new sim card and pay a subscription.

ill see what Phantom say themsleves although I reckon their original reply will stand.

descisions, descisions.

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
GPS Trackers can be jammed using an electronic device that only needs to be in the immediate vicinity. Professional vehicle thieves have used these, mainly for stealing high value cars, but they could and might have been used in motorhome thefts.

Mick H.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have said loads of times that I am not that much of a fan of tracking systems.

"Some" thieves can pick locks but we all lock our doors.

Some people believe that gas attacks happen:winky:

There is so little evidence to prove that jammers which are very hard to obtain (that actually work!) that Thatcham are not even concerned by them.

Some one get one that stops Trackstar working and I will take on Trackstar with it! and I have a direct line to the very top.

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back