Peugeot boxer (1 Viewer)

Bat and ball

Free Member
Jul 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi funster , I am trying to find out how many Peugeot boxer owners , that has had front wheel bearing problems, my failed on the first MOT at 8000 miles I was told by the garage it is out of warranty , The wheel bearing has failed again at 16,000 miles , this is very serious and dangerous,

paddyd887

Free Member
Oct 15, 2011
great barford
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
We have a 2008 Boxer and have completed close on 50k with no problems with the front wheel bearings. I would advise that you contact Peugeot Customer Care direct and insist that you are given a case number. Explain your problem to the assigned Resolution Manager, in the past I have found them to be very responsive and have "out of warranty problems" either totally done F.O.C. or at a reduced cost.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
Bat and ball

Bat and ball

Free Member
Jul 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thank you very much for your reply , we have contacted Peugeot customer care on Friday they have given me a ref number , when the wheel bearing failed at 8,000 miles customer care informed me, that the vehicle was out of warranty they did not offer any help what so ever , I have spoken to other owners and they have the same problem on n/side front ,
Many thanks
Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above - yes apparently not uncommon. We had our 06 Ducato front wheel bearing fail at 6000 miles. It might be something to do with it sitting around a lot, either awaiting sake or when in someone's driveway etc., but not an expert so just supposition

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its that common, that i know of at least 2 people that carry a spare bearing and carrier when they go abroad. its not unknown for the bearing to be seized in the carrier and that breaks when you try pressing out the bearing

the parts are relatively cheap and having a spare means that its only a few hours labour at a garage to resume your holiday

extra300

Free Member
May 12, 2013
Malton
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Nearly one year!
Higuys. Had the front n/s wheelbearing fail at 22000, shortly after buying the van. Our s is a 55 plate Ducato . Luckily we were only 6 miles from Elgin, and when we took it to the Fiat dealership there, (Arnold Clark) the mechanic said they had done several, all of which had been stood for a long time. Ours had done virtually no miles in the 7 months before we bought it. His advice was to ensure the van was driven for 15/20 miles at least, every month. They changed the bearing under warranty, we followed the mechanics advice, and 2 years and 6000 miles later, there has been no repeat of the problem.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another occurrence that kills them is negotiating deep standing water. Warm hub suddenly cooled sucks water into the bearing. I've seen them go within a month after that happens. Might be relevant given the weather in recent years.

OP
OP
Bat and ball

Bat and ball

Free Member
Jul 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi Dux Delux , many thanks for your Reply when my failed at 8,000 miles first MOT Peugeot said the vehicle was out of warranty and did not want to know Price of repair £378-00 it's has gone again at 16,000 miles the same wheel bearing it seems to be A very serious fault which could cause a accident,

Paul

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the reply - there are many tens of thousands of these vehicles on the roads so it probably isn't a design fault. As above, you have probably been unlucky. Many people don't have a problem, but a few do. We were one of them, but the van when new had stood in Brownhills for many months. As Big one says.....it happens. Enjoy the van and don't worry about it. It isn't dangerous as far as I know. Just noisy......

OP
OP
Bat and ball

Bat and ball

Free Member
Jul 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi tony ,
We had a ford transit and we never had wheel bearings go on that one in nine years of ownership this is obviously A manufacturing fault which
Peugeot is ignoring,

Many thanks
Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi tony ,
We had a ford transit and we never had wheel bearings go on that one in nine years of ownership this is obviously A manufacturing fault which
Peugeot is ignoring,

Many thanks
Paul
good luck getting them to admit it though. if replaced when it starts making a noise it should be quite safe.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No issues with the last van and I don't expect any with this one. Both Fiats, which are identical to the Boxer/Relay. Not worried about it, to be honest. It is a minor issue and life is too short........... don't mean that in a bad way, just trying to put it into perspective a bit

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There is a idea that the over head cab area acting as a high up weight swing from side to side can be transmitted to extra side stress on the front bearings, they were not designed for this originally as a pick up / van , as the weight should be in the back only.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had a Relay with this problem, they first changed the steering rack, then the anti roll bars, and finally the bearings. I spoke to half a dozen drivers that had the same faults.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I always thought that manufacturers use similar bearing suppliers, so there shouldn't be a problem with the bearings themselves, more likely a suspension angle fault or as joner says, the high roof stressing the suspension/ bearings with extra weight.
Our Boxer based van has almost 12000 on the clock in 15 months with silent bearings all round, maybe you need to use the van more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back