Peugeot Boxer wheel bearing replacement in France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by streetdaddy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. streetdaddy

streetdaddy Read Only Funster

Currently in Cote d'Azure (Antibes) and wheel bearings are on their way out on my 1998 Peugeot Boxer. The local dealership aren't able to help me until September 26th at the earliest, and I went to every truck and general mechanic I could find in a 20km radius and nobody could help me :cry: either they wouldn't/couldn't work on Peugeot's, or didn't have the tools - the language barrier didn't help either...

If anyone has any suggestions of where I might be able to get this work done in a reasonable timeframe, or what sort of garage/mechanic I should be looking for, I would be highly appreciative of any information!

At the end of my tether, and with a long drive to South Portugal I don't want to end up stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...

2. Swift

Swift

3. streetdaddy

I already have all my translated questions for the endless phone calls I made to various garages and dealerships, however it's all a bit useless when they respond in French and I can't understand a word they're saying... Of the 10+ places I visited in person, I only found one person who spoke english, and he sent me to two places who couldn't help me... Not their fault of course, I just never imagined it would be so difficult to get work done on a Peugeot in France!

Currently sending a canned translated email to every garage I can find along the next 200km of our route, praying for a positive outcome...

The problem with wheel bearing is that if you don't fix them early, they lead to bigger and more expensive problems... arrgh :Doh:

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Are you sure its the wheel bearing,it could be a UJ jount on a front weel drive.
    What you need if its a wheel bearing is a roulement de roue.
    You should have no problem finding that.

5. streetdaddy

(whoops, double post)

I am almost 100% sure it is the wheel bearings as it was noted on the MOT I had before I left the UK. At the time I was told it was definitely not urgent, and I assumed I would be able to get the work done easily in France since it's a French chassis! I'm really regretting that decision now...

Thanks for the translation, I have been showing and saying those words to many mechanics but I only get shake of the head and apologies that they cannot do the work... Do I need to be looking for a specific type of garage, do you think? One person pointed me to a couple of truck garages (Renault and Iveco), but both said they could only work on their brand of vehicle.

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

A phonecall to Peugeot head office in Paris tel 40 66 55 11 should give you a result.There will be someone who speaks English there.

7. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

also look for fiat dealers,as the ducato and boxer are the same:thumb:

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If its just droning with no play Id limp on and get out of France, find myself a local village guy and sit it out,can you not get someone to ship out the bearing by post, You will pay at least tripple the uk cost for parts and labour estimated @ Euro500-600+ for the pair in France:Doh:

9. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

If you are coverd by the aa, or green flag, phone the break down tell no and they will sort it for you ,i had a prob with the old m/h and green flag were great :thumb: