Peugeot Boxer wheel bearing replacement in France (1 Viewer)

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Currently in Cote d'Azure (Antibes) and wheel bearings are on their way out on my 1998 Peugeot Boxer. The local dealership aren't able to help me until September 26th at the earliest, and I went to every truck and general mechanic I could find in a 20km radius and nobody could help me :cry: either they wouldn't/couldn't work on Peugeot's, or didn't have the tools - the language barrier didn't help either...

If anyone has any suggestions of where I might be able to get this work done in a reasonable timeframe, or what sort of garage/mechanic I should be looking for, I would be highly appreciative of any information!

At the end of my tether, and with a long drive to South Portugal I don't want to end up stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I already have all my translated questions for the endless phone calls I made to various garages and dealerships, however it's all a bit useless when they respond in French and I can't understand a word they're saying... Of the 10+ places I visited in person, I only found one person who spoke english, and he sent me to two places who couldn't help me... Not their fault of course, I just never imagined it would be so difficult to get work done on a Peugeot in France!

Currently sending a canned translated email to every garage I can find along the next 200km of our route, praying for a positive outcome...

The problem with wheel bearing is that if you don't fix them early, they lead to bigger and more expensive problems... arrgh :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Are you sure its the wheel bearing,it could be a UJ jount on a front weel drive.
What you need if its a wheel bearing is a roulement de roue.
You should have no problem finding that.

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
(whoops, double post)

I am almost 100% sure it is the wheel bearings as it was noted on the MOT I had before I left the UK. At the time I was told it was definitely not urgent, and I assumed I would be able to get the work done easily in France since it's a French chassis! I'm really regretting that decision now...

Thanks for the translation, I have been showing and saying those words to many mechanics but I only get shake of the head and apologies that they cannot do the work... Do I need to be looking for a specific type of garage, do you think? One person pointed me to a couple of truck garages (Renault and Iveco), but both said they could only work on their brand of vehicle.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A phonecall to Peugeot head office in Paris tel 40 66 55 11 should give you a result.There will be someone who speaks English there.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
also look for fiat dealers,as the ducato and boxer are the same:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If its just droning with no play Id limp on and get out of France, find myself a local village guy and sit it out,can you not get someone to ship out the bearing by post, You will pay at least tripple the uk cost for parts and labour estimated @ Euro500-600+ for the pair in France:Doh:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
If you are coverd by the aa, or green flag, phone the break down tell no and they will sort it for you ,i had a prob with the old m/h and green flag were great :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back