Peugeot Boxer high temp light on labouring uphill slowly. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the hight temp light on our 2000 Auto-sleeper Executive. I was travelling quite slowly uphill on saturday evening when the high temp light came on. The gauge was showing just above the halfway mark but I'm totally new to the Peugeot Boxer & I don't know where the gauge would normally settle. There had been no previous problems on a run from Essex to Ayrshire Scotland a few weeks ago. I could not hear the electric fan running but am unsure if that was relevant although my suspicions are that the fan should have been on.
So my questions are, where on the guage would one of these vehicles normally run?
Secondly are there any known faults that these vehicles suffer from?
Parts appear to be relatively inexpensive, so I've got no qualms about replacing any marginal or faulty parts, but I don't want to disturb parts that aren't faulty.
The vehicle has a full service history, is showing 60k on the clock & had a new radiator fitted in 2014.
The engine is the 2.5 turbo diesel.
All advice would be very gratefully received.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If it's any use, my Mercedes rapido ran just over half way on the temp gauge and my now fiat ducato runs at half way... I have never heard my fans running either and in summer...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Boxer ran just below half way all the time but the Ducato we have now runs just over half way. The light I would imagine it to get your attention if you haven't noticed it running hot. I would have thought the fan might have come on with the light? Might be worth getting that checked out before summer though.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
When we had a 2.5tdi it was extremely rare for the fan to come on, perhaps because the airflow was so good (van was a Hymer a class) I even had the mechanic test the thermostat to be sure it was working ok.
From memory it only kicked in once the needle was way past half way, almost at red!
As it rarely touched that point, I never worried about it and never had an issue... it invariably happened in slow moving/stationary traffic or on prolonged hill climbs (massif central for example)
Van was a 1998 with around 80k on the clock.
Regarding faults, wheel bearings, corroding front cross member and the well documented is 5th gear issues spring to mind.
The only other common fault I can think of is fuel pump/immobilser problems. Fixes can be cheap or expensive, depending on the route you take... again the fault is well documented.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
When we had a 2.5tdi it was extremely rare for the fan to come on, perhaps because the airflow was so good (van was a Hymer a class) I even had the mechanic test the thermostat to be sure it was working ok.
From memory it only kicked in once the needle was way past half way, almost at red!
As it rarely touched that point, I never worried about it and never had an issue... it invariably happened in slow moving/stationary traffic or on prolonged hill climbs (massif central for example)
Van was a 1998 with around 80k on the clock.
Regarding faults, wheel bearings, corroding front cross member and the well documented is 5th gear issues spring to mind.
The only other common fault I can think of is fuel pump/immobilser problems. Fixes can be cheap or expensive, depending on the route you take... again the fault is well documented.
Hope this helps!

Excellent, there's nothing quite like practical knowledge, so I thank you for that. I was aware of crossmember issue's, the one that we have was replaced last year & looks to have been doen to a high standard. I'll keep my eye's peeled for any other issue's or should that be characteristics of these vehicles.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Our Boxer ran just below half way all the time but the Ducato we have now runs just over half way. The light I would imagine it to get your attention if you haven't noticed it running hot. I would have thought the fan might have come on with the light? Might be worth getting that checked out before summer though.

Ah thats great, many thanks, the needle on ours hovered just around the halfway mark when this light came on. I'll have a good look over the cooling system before the summer weather comes around. I do like peace of mind while I'm travelling.

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I have a 2001 Boxer 2.8 HDI and if I am stuck in traffic jams for 5 or 6 miles the gauge goes to just above half way. Rest of the time it is about 1/3 from bottom.
I turn the heater on and open the windows to get it back down.
I had the system flushed and the fans checked at my local garage and all were OK.

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Just a thought, my 2008 Fiat Ducato had two cooling fans. Unfortunately the ECU will not switch the second one on so it gets very hot stuck in traffic or climbing a very long gradient. Could be worth checking that after replacing the radiator the fan was reconnected properly or see if the connector has worked loose.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
I have a 2001 Boxer 2.8 HDI and if I am stuck in traffic jams for 5 or 6 miles the gauge goes to just above half way. Rest of the time it is about 1/3 from bottom.
I turn the heater on and open the windows to get it back down.
I had the system flushed and the fans checked at my local garage and all were OK.

Thats useful info mate, so I thank you for taking the time to message me. I'll know what to look out for next time we have the vehicle out. As I've said before, we haven't had this motorhome for very long, so we're kinda new to the running habits of it.

Once again, many thanks. (y)

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Just a thought, my 2008 Fiat Ducato had two cooling fans. Unfortunately the ECU will not switch the second one on so it gets very hot stuck in traffic or climbing a very long gradient. Could be worth checking that after replacing the radiator the fan was reconnected properly or see if the connector has worked loose.

I'll certainly have a look, I was out at the vehicle today & like yours this motorhome has two cooling far too. I haven't tried running it up to temp on the drive to see if the fans or possibly one fan comes on.
I'll certainly keep you posted as to any results & I'm extremely grateful for your replay to my op.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back