Peugeot Boxer gear box

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by John Hinch, Jun 30, 2014.

1. John Hinch

John Hinch Funster

Hi everyone - I know a bit about checking levels and general routine maintenance on my vehicle a Peugeot Boxer 2.5 turbo diesel. It was first registered in 1997 and has done a genuine 53k miles. My problem is that on my last trip out this weekend I have experienced problems with the gear changing. If I am changing up from 2nd to 3rd or down from 4th to 3rd I am getting a grinding sound from the gear selector. This has never happened before and is only 3rd which is the problem.

Can someone please advise if this is a major problem or one that can possibly be cured without heavy expense

Thanks - John Hinch

2. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi

I have a Peugeot 2.8 2005 done 42000 miles recently had problems with gears grinding. Searched for a solution but kept coming up with the inherent problems with Boxers and Ducatos of water getting into the gearbox because of the short length of pipe that is supposed to take the run off of water from the grills under the windshield wipers.
    A short search you will see this is a common problem.

I did not deal with the problem immediately it started, then a few weeks later had the problem selecting 5th gear. Then 5th came back and I lost 2nd.
    The garage I normally use checked the linkages and tightened them up but the problem came back after about 50 miles. So I took the van to Bexhill gearboxes who have a great reputation in this area, and they did a long road test and decided that the only way to cure it was a complete gearbox rebuild, quoting £1450 ouch!!
    Bit the bullet, they did the job in 3 days and I had a new clutch fitted too, well for £100 might as well while the gearbox was out.
    Cut a long story short, now runs like a dream, gears are tighter and easy to select.

Water is a killer and can get into the engine bay in all sorts of ways Peugeot and Fiat know about this problem.

I am buying an external windscreen cover that is long enough to cover the grills under the wipers so when it rains I know water can't penetrate the engine bay.

Hope your problem isn't major but get it checked out soon.

Be lucky
    Gary(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Hinch

John Hinch Funster

Hi Gary - thanks very much for a very enlightening diagnosis of my problem. My symptons seem to tie in with what you experienced. Quite recently I had a small pool of water on the mat below the gear change which has probably run down from the grills. The water has obviously now found its way into the gears.

I will try and source someone dealing with gearbox problems here in rural South Lincolnshire and hopefully get it fixed before it becomes more serious.

Once again thanks for your experiences and advice in sorting my problem.

Cheers - John

4. bilimanjaro

bilimanjaro Read Only Funster

5. bilimanjaro

bilimanjaro Read Only Funster

send me a pm mate,,same similar problem on mine ..easy sort if you know how..