Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
While doing some work in the MH today I could hear what sounds like a fan running, coming from the centre consul area. The sound is similar to that of a computer CPU fan.

Strange thing is the noise only occurs when the keys are out of the ignition, put them in and light the dash board up, noise stops????

Turn the key off and remove them, after about a minute the noise starts again.

Could well be coming from under the bonnet, but it’s so wet at the moment inspection will have to wait.

Does anyone know what this might be, I can book it in the local Peugeot dealers but though I would ask the question, to make sure I wasn’t doing something stupid.

2015 X290 Boxer.

Brian

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Never noticed a fan running like that in our Peugeot, but it's a 2013. But, I have a similar noise in my car. (Citroen C5) It's a fan running in the dash. I have a built in sat nav and radio/cd with Bluetooth, phone, and all sorts of computer gubbings, it appears to be coming from the radio unit.

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
it appears to be coming from the radio unit.

That's what I thought. If it stops raining tomorrow :rofl: I'll lift the bonnet and see if more becomes evident.

Whatever it is it's not using much electricity, cab battery is still fully charged.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When I turn my Boxer engine off, I can still here fans or motors running somewhere in the engine and a few clicks as they turn off. When I turn the Citroen engine off, I hear 3 or 4 electric motors or fans gradually running down, (sounds like 3 or 4 muted jet engines shutting down )Takes a couple of minutes sometimes for them to stop, then just as they do, the fan behind the dash (radio) starts up. It worried me the first time I heard it, but it went off after a few minutes. It does seem to run independently of the ignition though, and could be similar to what you are hearing

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
the fan behind the dash (radio) starts up. It worried me the first time I heard it, but it went off after a few minutes. It does seem to run independently of the ignition though, and could be similar to what you are hearing

That's the one I think, but the cut off doesn't seem to be working (been running for several hours now). I'll book it in tomorrow at the dealers.

Brian

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We've got a fan in the battery charger that runs when on EHU if the charger is working hard, switches itself off/on with a mind of it's own.

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We've got a fan in the battery charger that runs when on EHU if the charger is working hard, switches itself off/on with a mind of it's own.

Not sure where the fan noise was, but it was running 24/7 whether on EHU or not.

I had it booked in at the local Peugeot dealer, but before going decided to give the MH a good run out. Got everything nice and warm and after 30 miles or so came home. Fan has never run again since, it now seems to have cured itself?????

Brian

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we had rad fan running on its own .kicked in after it had beenstood for about an hour---just turned on for no reason but luckily we were working in the van ---traced it to a relay rt slde of engine--swapping it with same relay out of Paul s van brought same fault on his van ---cured both with new relays
terry

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Hi @Brian_K . Did the fault with the fan running reappear? I've just noticed the exact same problem with my Fiat (2015 model)

It sounds like a fan just behind the radio. No noise apparent from within the engine compartment.

I've noticed that if you turn radio on and off, open either the passenger or drivers door, the fan noise stops temporarily but then comes back. We're heading up to Kilder this weekend so I'm hoping the long run up there will sort it out.

Cheers
Alan

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Angela's C4 makes more noise with everything switched off than when it's running! Worried the hell out of me when we first got it but used to it now.

ccr

Free Member
Apr 12, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have the same problem on a 2016 boxer cab Bailey motorhome, fan running behind the radio sounds like a CPU starts running approx 30 seconds after ignition switched off and keeps running indefinitely, until ignition or radio switched on again. Is this the norm from Peugeot or is there a fault and fix for it.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I read some where on the forums that if you hold the off button it should fully turn off radio rather that go into stand by.....my radio decided to change all menus to Italian despite changing to English and saving then the next day it was Italian. The fix is open the driver's door then close it. It revered to English :rolleyes:

DavinaS

Free Member
May 5, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi We have Peugeot Boxer base to our motorhome and have this issue with the fan kicking in, two years old killed the battery had to replace it. Peugeot are looking at it but don't seem to have any idea. Did anyone get theirs fixed?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sounds to me like a cooling fan for the electronics, but would have thought it should cut out once everything was cool. Needs sorting or you could end up with a flat battery eventually.

robertjbaylis

Free Member
Sep 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
I have had the same fan noise 24/7 on my 2016 Nuevo boxer. It runs continuously unless the ignition is on or the radio is on. On switching either of these off, after a delay of about 90 sec the fan noise restarts. Also if the cab doors (either one) is opened or closed the fan noise stops, again for about 90 sec and then restarts. As my Nuevo is still under warranty my dealer has eventually agreed to fund a Peugeot dealer to sort this. However shortly after getting agreement the noise has stopped so I have a problem:
The fault has cured itself - unlikely.
The fan has died due to near continuous running for months - possible, with the risk that the cooling fan, if that’s what it is, won’t cool when required to, and hence result in further problems and costs.
I’ve spoken to a couple of Peugeot dealers and a couple of auto electricians, none have come across this issue before, all offering to run diagnostics but it’s difficult to diagnose a no fault. This is the only thread I’ve found that might share some common issues. Can anyone help before I take the vehicle to a Peugeot dealer who may or may not be able to diagnose the fault?
Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back