Peugeot Boxer engine warning light - Help!

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by RichardB, Feb 7, 2016.

1. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Hi all..

Just been out to the van and as usual, if I haven't used it during the week, I let the engine run on a weekend just to turn it over and give the battery a bit of a charge.

When out tonight, and started the van and everything seemed ok, after about 30 seconds the engine warning light came on - everything seems ok and engine is running - turned the van off, waited a few minutes, then restarted - the engine fires up and runs okay but the engine warning light came on straight away and stayed on.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong or where to start looking...its booked in for it's MOT on 19th Feb so really need to fix this first, or be sure that the van is ok to drive to a garage...

Any help appreciated:

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Go on ebay.. Buy a OBD2 scanner, read the code and see whats going on..
    OR go garage and let them charge you £40-50 to give same answer.. It could be so many things.. Maybe just a bit of water in the fuel but that damn light will come on for anything. !! If it's something trivial the plug in scanner and software / app can reset things for you.

I have one of these, wifi and connects to ipad..
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-WI...998097?hash=item35e10d16d1:g:VBoAAOSwBahVWYg~

Lots of others available..

Also search here on FUN ref OBD2 and sure you will get a bit more info.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Wot Tonka sed (y) There's a million and one things it could be, some important and many not.

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Is it a 3 litre?

5. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Hi. No, its a 2011 2.2 Diesel (2012 reg).

@tonka I'll get one of those things off eBay - its cheap enough - what software do you use on the iPad?

Richard

6. tonka

I think it's called eobd facile. Or something like that. I sold my iPad and iPhone and gone android so need to sort some other app..
    Was free to read codes but you need pay for the full version app if you want to do resets, was £10 ish..

• Like Like x 1
  7. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Thanks, will give it a go and see what it says,...

8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Have you driven it much recently or have you just started it and let it run a while?
    I have a Citroen that I use very infrequently and the engine management light comes on occasionally. A drive of a few miles and warming it up properly makes it go out and stay out.
    I was told if the light is on with no loss of power it is usually a sensor, maybe in the emission control system. Not warming the engine up properly could cause it to come on. A good run will usually sort it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Its not been driven for a couple of weeks, but was ok when I ran it last sunday for an hour or so, just today with the light so maybe it just needs a run out...

10. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I recon its the Alternator lol.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i keep a bluetooth compatible obd2 reader in the van and use torquepro on my phone or tablet to read and reset any data and codes. cost under £5 and is ideal for simple tasks. there are some on here advocate spending a lot more for more sophisticated tools, but i have found the cheap one is perfectly acceptable. failing that, I can get my hands on a pro one from a friend in the trade

12. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

Without checking to see what DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is logged within the engine EMS (Engine Management System) it is pure speculation as to what has caused the MIL ( Malfunction Indicator Lamp, check engine light) from illuminating. A MIL lamp will occur when the EMS self check fails one of the emissions related tests. The MIL may go out after 3-4 ignition cycles but will still log a DTC in the EMS. Below is a post I did on a Landrover forum.

There are basically two types of DTC codes for OBDII Diagnostics:

Emissions related DTC's Tested DTC's Type A

1. Emissions related.
    2. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will be illuminated as soon as the error occurs.
    3. Stores a freeze frame DTC after one failed driving cycle.( history DTC is stored )

Type B

1. Emissions related.
    2. Sets a Pending Trouble Code after one failed driving cycle.
    3. Clears a Pending Trouble Code after one successful driving cycle.
    4. Turns on the MIL after two/three consecutive failed driving cycles.
    5. Stores a Pending Trouble Code as a DTC after two consecutive failed driving cycles.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC – Type A or Type B

The MIL will turn off after four consecutive driving cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
    A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
    DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

Non–Emissions Related DTCs, Untested DTC's

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

1. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
    2. The ECM will record a DTC at the time the diagnostic fails.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
    DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

How to read a DTC Code

The DTC value will help you narrow down the specific component or module in question. A DTC has a standardized format that can be interpreted as follows:
    The first part of the DTC is the Alpha Designator. The alpha designator will be:

B - Body electronics (i.e., door and hood latches)
    C - Chassis (i.e., traction control or ABS)
    P - Powertrain (i.e., engine, transmission)
    U - Network communications for the different control modules

Second Digit - Code Type
    The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.

0 = Generic (The diagnostic codes that are required by law on all OBD II systems are "generic" in the sense that all vehicle manufacturers use the same common code list and the same 16-pin diagnostic connector. Thus, a P0301 misfire code on a Ford means the same thing on a Vauxhall, Citroen, Toyota or Mercedes.)

1 = Enhanced ( Each vehicle manufacturers also have the freedom to add their own "enhanced" codes to provide even more detailed information about various faults. Enhanced codes also cover non-emission related failures that occur outside the engine control system. These include ABS codes, HVAC codes, airbag codes and other body and electrical codes.)

Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code

1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
    2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
    3 = Ignition or Misfire
    4 = Emission Control
    5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
    6 = Computer & Output Circuit
    7 = Transmission
    8 = Transmission
    9 = SAE Reserved
    0 = SAE Reserved

Fourth and Fifth Digits
    These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem code error number

So let's diagnose a DTC, I've picked P0404-73 EGR control circuit range/performance: actuator stuck closed

so we have:
    P = Powertrain (engine, transmission)
    0 = Generic
    4 = Emissions control
    0 4 =This is the specific error code within Emission control. In this case the EGR control circuit range/performance
    -73= This is a specific problem, in this case the actuator is stuck closed. 72 means its stuck open.

HTH Brian.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Hi all
    I have got the reader today and just plugged it in. It says there is one Trouble and gives P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

It sounds expensive! Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Richard

14. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Check THIS out.

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

with a kam error you first need to check that there is a permanent live on the pcm pin and a good earth. a common cause is a slightly loose plug or oxidised pins. could be as simple as unplugging and plugging back in the pcm to the loom. otherwise its often easier to get a qualified auto electrician to trace the fault

16. RichardB

RichardB Funster

I've used the app to reset the error and ran the van for a bit. Then I re-read the DTC and the error code doesn't come back - however the orange engine light is still on

I thought if I reset the error then the light should go out but it hasn't - does anyone know if this lists up when a service is due as we have had the van for a year this month and it got serviced before we collected it

Richard

17. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Very interesting.
    Will it automatically find Fiat Ducato fault codes or do you need further software?
    Will it reset the service intervals?

18. tonka

Seems to find a lot of codes.. I bought mine as light came on and it was a warning for DPF sensor.. Long story and there is a thread on here about it.
    Not sure on service reset, usually you can do that without any tools, do a web search...

You buy the reader, download free app but to do any resets you need ful version and have to pay about £10.. It's useable on multi vehicles as you select the car/van when you open the app. I have used mine on Ducato, Peugeot 107 and a Vauxhall Zafira..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

The service light I believe is a spanner shaped light (at least it is on our 2007 2.3) It comes on when it thinks one is due but does go off after a while if you ignore it.