Peugeot Boxer Battery "recall" (1 Viewer)

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I rang local dealer who knew nothing about it so rang Peugeot and now have a ref number and they will email me Tuesday at the latest

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
MadgeD: my local dealership have now been in touch with Peugeot and they have indicated that a larger battery would be the norm for my van. HOWEVER they have not as yet agreed to replace the battery. The arrangement is that my van is now booked into the workshop week after next for the relevant referral to be made etc. Hopefully this will result in a replacement being fitted.
This definitely looks like a case of, if you don't nag you won't get! Will let you know the outcome.
PS: mine is a 2013 model.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
I rang local dealer who knew nothing about it so rang Peugeot and now have a ref number and they will email me Tuesday at the latest
Just rung Peugeot customer service , the lady asked me if it was a Bailey , saying yes has got me a reference number and a call back by Next Tuesday.
I suspect Bailey have brought some pressure to bear on Peugeot, who produced the Cab Base and it would appear fitted the wrong Batteries to Bailey Motorhomes. Mine is a 2014 model. Thank you Motorhomefun forum, I wouldn't have known otherwise.:):thanks3:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Right then, we have just had a phone call from the Dealer and they have been talking to Peugeot, who she says don't know anything about this bulletin she says its the makers than put this letter out and our van doesn't need the battery changing!! we have told her that's alright then but if we have any problems we will be back.

She asked us if we want the number to talk to Peugeot ourselves, but cant be hassled as we are getting prepared for our hols in a couple of weeks time.

Ill be watching this thread though.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
MMM have just posted the following on their website forum (outandaboutlive), so it looks as if those you have managed to get the battery swopped may just have been lucky but still worth contacting Peugeot...

''We spoke to Peugeot about this today. According to them it's mainly motorhomes supplied to Bailey and you need to prove that you ordered one with the bigger battery in order to get it fitted now. It isn't available if you ordered one with the 680A battery. It isn't a recall as such, more that the wrong battery was supplied for some orders.

Clearly there are some discrepancies in what Peugeot PR has had to say and what's in the letter from the Customer Services so we welcome people getting in touch if they get a battery exchanged and never specified the larger sized one. Drop an email to mmm@warnersgroup.co.uk please.''

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This smacks of a con/scam to me. If Peugeot were really doing a recall on batteries why would they not send out that letter to ALL parties who may be affected? Also if it were real why when people have contacted Peugeot have they been told "we know nothing of this"? The typo in the apparent letter is repeated 3 times, which in itself leads me to suspect its validity. "680A" and "950A" refer to the batteries ability to supply large amperages (680 A = 680 AMPS, 950 A = 950 Amps, these are what is known as cold cranking amps, i.e. the batteries ability to provide big current in cold conditions) The reference to 950 AH (repeated 3 times) is a measure of the batteries capacity. I find it difficult to believe that a company as big as Peugeot, who build very technically complicated vehicles would issue such an inaccurate recall letter to just one person. Also the very fact it was copied from another forum leads me to doubt its validity.

D.
I fully agree with Dave.

Have you any idea of the size and weight a 950ah bettery would be ?

It certainly wouldnt fit in the underfloor compartment unless you removed the floor and engine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Full official VOSA recall list for pug boxer from launch to april 2015.

All official recalls are on this list as a legal requirement.

Not a single mention of battery faults

Broken Link Removed

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Full official VOSA recall list for pug boxer from launch to april 2015.

All official recalls are on this list as a legal requirement.

Not a single mention of battery faults

Broken Link Removed

It's not an official recall as it's not a safety issue, it's a service bulletin. Although it originated for Baileys, several Autosleeper Owners Forum members have now had batteries replaced, Peugeot dealers simply referred the matter to Peugeot and have been given authority. If you want a heavier duty battery, follow it through, if it doesn't bother you, don't.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Ive emailed Peugeot and they told me to contact dealer - they have come back and said

"
We have spoken with Peugeot who have advised that we are unable to change the battery under the vehicle's warranty unless a manufacturing defect is evident.

Could you please call the number listed in the letter that you have received, once contacted they will be able to advise further.

If the battery is to be replaced they will advice on how we proceed.
Please accept out apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just looked at ours and there is no ID labels on the battery what so ever, so i dont know how i could tell which battery i have fitted ;) BTW Its as simple as turning a few lock caps to remove the cover !

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Just had a phone call from Peugeot and i do have to have a new battery

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Just taken my 750 Bailey down to my local Peugeot dealer, after ringing Peugeot customer services. They just checked that I had the 680 battery fitted and by the time I got home some 25minutes later, I had two phone calls, one from Peugeot Customer service and one from the Peugeot dealer, to confirm that they had ordered the new battery and will ring tomorrow to arrange fitment. Thanks again Motorhomefun .co.uk members , without them I wouldn't have known about it .
:Ta2:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Well I got nowhere!!!!
As promised, 'Jordan' from Peugeot Customer Care phoned me today and said that it is only Bailey Motorhomes that are affected because of "out of UK winter issues".

As soon as I told him that I didn't have a Bailey, he de-escalated the issue and stated that "all is ok with your vehicle and you have no need to be concerned"

I pointed out that I was a member of a LARGE Motorhome forum and that some members had batteries changed, even though they weren't manufactured by Bailey. He said that the directive regarding the batteries wasn't an official recall. He also said that forums had a habit of expressing views that weren't necesssarily official and he couldn't verify whether some had batteries changed.

He concluded the call by saying that there was no danger and the vehicle should have no starting problems whatsoever.

So; as you know from my previous post and pics, I do have the 680 battery. What the hell do I do now? I'm not happy. The original directive doesn't mention conversion types, or Bailey in particular.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
A big thank you to the OP. I have a 2012 Bailey Approach 740 with a 680A battery. Phoned local Peugeot dealer, knew nothing about, checked and said that there was no problem with my van and everything is ok and go away. Phoned supplying dealer. They had the information I needed. Phoned local Peugeot dealer again, told him to phone the UK Peugeot dealer helpline and that they would tell him all about. Did not get a favourable response, said that he was far too busy, that it was unusual for him to do this and that he would phone them in the following morning and get back to me. To my surprise he did phone back early this morning and has put through a warranty claim. This time he was polite and very helpful. I guess he must have had a bad day yesterday.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Bluemooner: can you please advise what make of MH you have? Thanks.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks for that. It appears that vans destined for Bailey were specified with the larger battery as standard hence you have not had a problem. Will see what happens next week when my Autocruise goes into the garage. Not holding out much hope!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yes it is very annoying if we are being fobbed off , but it's too near our hols to get involved in a fracas with Peugeot , but any problems and. We will Take it up with them again.

glenstu

Free Member
Mar 6, 2013
Gainsborough ,Lincs
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
I e-mailed Peugeot Customer Services and explained that my 2011 Autocruise Motorhome had a 680A battery fitted.
They recommended that I take the vehicle to a Peugeot dealer to check the battery for them to verify it had the wrong battery fitted. They then got in touch with Customer Services who have agreed to fit a new 950A battery free of charge.
Many thanks to this forum for the information.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
From a major international company, this whole fracas is unacceptable.
Not only was the original announcement below professional standard of presentation but it was not universally presented to the relevant customers. Confusion all round as to which precise vans should be applicable and leaving some owners feeling they have less than full value from their warranty.
The bottom line would seem to be that none of the vans needed the larger battery but a few had the larger battery included as an extra in their original order and had not had it fitted.
This is a perfect example of how NOT to solve a simple problem.... an apology from Peugeot perhaps?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have just been advised by my local Peugeot garage that Peugeot have refused to acknowledge the need to change the leisure battery in my Autocruise. They say that the bulletin wasn't signed by anyone but do acknowledge that the wording is unfortunate and was an error by their customer support team. Don't know if it is worth pursuing further as I haven't had any problems.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
They changed mine today, Bailey 745 and had to change the fuse box cover as this was a recall as well.

Shazrick

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2009
Hi had my bailey 740 check today yes wrong battery on. so just waiting on dealer to sort out new battery
i will was ask about my fuse box cover when they do the battery

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm thinking the 950 amp is a typo as the biggest battery as used on the 3.0 litre motors is 920 as per example
Broken Link Removed

Anyone not involved with the recall should fit the bigger battery as a matter of course when yours is knackered.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Just had the van to Peugeot dealer for uprated battery to be fitted, been waiting about 3 wks for them to get battery in. Girl on reception said they had quite a few people contact them after I had.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Golly: can you please let me know which van you have and the engine size. I have been refused a new battery and am trying to collate some info on successful applications in order to pursue with Peugeot.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Golly: can you please let me know which van you have and the engine size. I have been refused a new battery and am trying to collate some info on successful applications in order to pursue with Peugeot.
Hi Carol, We have an Auto sleeper Kemerton, 2.2lt engine, from what I gather from looking on various forums I think Peugeot were not prepared for the information on the batteries to be so widely known and have "back peddled" to restrict the types of van they claim are affected. I was lucky in that I contacted Peugeot customer services early on and had an email from them stating they would change the battery if it needed it ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back