Pets on the move....... (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Hello all, I am new to the forum, so please be gentle with me.
We are giving serious thought to giving up on owning a home and going mobile full time.
the thing is we have 2 dogs, not a problem.....3 horses, they can go on full livery somewhere near our daughter and we have 2 cats.
So that is our concern, the cats, how do other cat owners cope with keeping cats on the move.
Thank you in advance.
H
xxx

MoKa

Free Member
Jun 22, 2016
STIRLING
Funster No
MH
Toyota Previa conversion
Exp
Newbies, preparing to full-time after house sale
We've been binge-watching the YouTube channel of Nomadic Fanatic, an American chap who full-times with his cat. The cat, Jax, is seriously cute; to be honest we're really watching for him now lol

BasilsTravels

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit 1979
Exp
I have the answers! I've been motorhoming full time with my cat, Basil, for the last three months. It can be difficult, but it is definitely possible. I was about to write a wee guide, so will get on that over the next couple of days and report back :D

In the meantime, this was the first step towards getting him happy travelling: https://jemmabeedie.com/2015/08/26/travel-cat/

We now no longer use a lead or harness, and we don't even have a box for him as he hates it so much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MoKa

Free Member
Jun 22, 2016
STIRLING
Funster No
MH
Toyota Previa conversion
Exp
Newbies, preparing to full-time after house sale
That's fab, Jemma. Can't wait to read your guide. Our cats are indoor cats, so we have extra hurdles to get over - no harness or leash experience that we know of, although when they came to us at a year old, there was one harness in the box, now way too small for five year olds, but we don't know whose harness it was, or how much it was used. So, we'll be getting two harnesses soon, and getting them out in our garden while we are waiting for our house to sell. They hate travelling in the car in the cat travel crates, but I'm hoping that once they can see out the window, they'll be fine.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We always travelled with our 2 cats in the motorhome. We never put harnesses on them and they never went very far, usually sitting underneath the van on top of the water tank so they could see what was going on without being seen by others!! Mostly they were happy staying in the van just sleeping!!
Unfortunately we no longer have the cats , but they had a long and happy life seeing more than just their own garden!!

heading tiny

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
2009 Chausson Welcome 58
Exp
Since Sep 2016
I already shared our video about our experience with our cats one the road, but I hope no one minds if I share it again, it's just easier to show you:

Cats have a bit of a hard time in the beginning, but if you try to get them used to the new place and the new way of living, they will eventually adapt. Our cats are now perfectly happy with our full timing livestyle. Love and a lot of patience are all you need.

chewie1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back