Pets and Vets at the Ports??? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, can anyone give me advice on what we need to do with our 2 yorkies on the way back from France. We set off for France in a fortnight and although we know we have to have them 'ticked and wormed' we are not sure when, in relation to our return, or where - we will be returning on a Sunday ferry, so will need a vets near Dunkirk on Friday or Saturday?

Any advice re where to go, or the costs involved would be greatly appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, we take our two pugs with us to france and have done now for 6 years. I am not sure about the location of vets in that area, But the ferry company will have a list of vets near the port.
You must have the dog see the vet with your pet passport within 24 hours of broading the ferrie french side. The vet will worm and also frontline the dog, stamp the passport and its costs us 60 euros for the two pugs.
best bet is to contact the ferry company for address of vets in france near the port of return, if they don,t know UK side they will french side for sure.
terry

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
from the DEFRA site: Link Removed

Your pet must be treated against ticks and tapeworms not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Ginny & Mike,

What time is your ferry or to be accurate what time do you have to book- in?

You will need the vets appintment at least 24 hours before booing in a ferry. But the window is 24 to 48 hours not before and not after, they are VERY strict about this.

The French yellow pages have some info:

(I deleted the link as the page I wanted for you didn't come up) So (with www. in front) pagesjaunes.fr

try that link, if it doesn't work: Link Removed and then do a search for veterinaire, Dunkerque, you can also get a map.

However to save hanging around near a ferry terminal we tend to book an appointment on our arrival in France at a vets a days drive away.
You can look at tourist information offices webs sites and they will sometimes book a vets appointment for you.

We have used a vet not too far from Troyes there is a cheap vet at Ypres/Ieper and walkable from the municipal campsite.

Anything else I can help you with?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Also do DOUBLE CHECK the pets passport BEFORE YOU LEAVE the vets to make sure both Frontline and Drontal have been written on the right pages. That the DATE & TIME have been written. The vets signature and stamp are there.

If you arrrive at the check in and discover the time is missing then they won't let you through and it will take some doing to get it all sorted.

Likewise make sure your pets passport is in order before you leave the UK. Our vet made mistakes and it took two attempts to get it right!!!

Make sure the dogs passport has their id number, date of blood test, ant rabies vaccination etc.

The vet should scan your dogs before giving the Frontline & Drontal treatment. Sometimes they don't bother and we have to remind them. At least then you also know it will be there, and not lost in the dog somewhere, at the Ferry check in you will have to scan the dogs and hand the scanner back to the person doing the check.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I know of one in Ardes (8 miles inland from Calais) and another near the Calais plage Aire, both have easy parking for M/H. If you want the addresses let me know.

Olley

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have just checked the ferry tickets!! and we return on the 10.00 ferry on Saturday the 17th May. In a way this will be easier than the Sunday, so we will have to have them at the vets between Thursday 10.00 and Friday 10.00, if I understand your posts correctly. I really appreciate all the excellent advice. I have double checked the passports and everything seems to have been completed correctly and I appreciate the tips re checking before leaving the vets, I would not have thought of that.

We are returning via the west coast so on the Thursday I am not sure where we will be. I have taken notes on the vets in Dunkerque but I dont think we will want to spend a couple of days waiting at the port.

The addresses of the two at Calais would be very helpful Olly, I will add them to my Dunkirque list.

We are going to the Newark Show this weekend to give the Motorhome a run and try to work out what we will need for the trip. We have only ever been away for up to 5 days, so 7 weeks is a bit of a stretch, especially as it is in another country, which is again a first in the motorhome!!

Any tips, for what could be a reckless adventure, would be greatly appreciated!!

Ginny and Mike

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Calais one as follows:
Leave the Aire, up to the roundabout, turn right carry on to the next one, straight over and its on your right just after the service road joins from the right. I reversed up the service road to park, plenty of room for vehicles to get past me. About a mile or less from the Aire if you fancy walking.

Clinique Veterinaire Le Goeland
1148 Boulevard du general de Gaulle
62100 Calais
Tel: 0321 347739

And the Ardes one:
You can park in the market square directly outside for free and its easily got room for an RV. If coming from Calais, go straight across the lights in the centre of Ardes and the market square is on your right. The vets is in the road that runs down the left of the market square.

Clinique Vets du Camp du Drap d'Or
47r Commdt Queval
Ardres
Telephone: 0033 321 354003

Both gave excellent service, and both gave the cat a through checkover, very impressed. €34 last year at Ardes, €39 this year at Calais. Thats for a cat.

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Olly, I am going to take a copy of the posts with me.:thumb::thumb:

Mike

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Some more for you.

Vet Dr Patrick Pattyn (speaks English but originally from Belgium, if phoning ask for him.

1. Rue De Neufchatel
Forges-les-Eaux

tel. +33235905555

Surgery times: Mon-Sat 13.45 to 14.30 & 18.00 to 19.15

This is in Normandy dept but has a good Aire de Service opp municipal campsite with electrics and a 10 min walk to vets.

Also a Super U on road to Neufchatel, also as heading for Calais at Neufchatel there is a Le Clerc supermarket.

If we are returning from this direction towards Calais we tend to book the dog in at say 6pm and in your case leaving Sat 10 am I would book dog in for Thursday 6 pm. you can travel to Calais in one trip though we tend to stop off at Le Touquet for one night before heading for Calais.

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hi, just a note to say that you do not have to book into a vet near the port if you are travelling more widely across France. We are a days drive from the ports, and have a local vet who speaks English, and will fit in an appointment to suit the timetable of our visitors. As an example, a morning appointment allows plenty of time to get to the ports within the 48 hour deadline, but some clients have chosen to have an appointment at, say, 5pm, leaving the following morning.

Key thing is that you do not have to lock yourself into spending the last day or so of your holiday sitting around the port!

Whatever you do, and wherever you go, enjoy your time in France which is a beautiful country!::bigsmile:

Bob and Di

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Pet and vets at the Ports

Thanks Zulurita, I have added your post to the information sheet.

Bob and Di, whereabouts are you? and what is the name of the vets who speak English please, this sounds very good information like Zulurita's.

Thanks

Ginny and Mike

G

Graham6846

Deleted User
Pets & Ferry Companies

Good Morning
We travel to/From Europe quite regular using the normal cross channel Ferry's and take out Pet Cat using the Pets Passport system.
Two issues concern me
( 1) Defra issue guidelines which amongst its advice state's owners are advised to visit their Pet every two hours to ensure they are safe & well , paricularly after poor weather .

I cannot find any of our Ferry companies that will comply with these guidelines and allow this inspection !

( 2) Prior to boarding P&O ferries ,Pet owners must sign conditions of Carriage , item 1 states
(quote)
The animal is carried at the owner's risk and no liability of any kind is accepted of any loss, death or injury to the animal covered by this voucher due to any cause whatsoever, including negligence of any officer, crew member or servant of P&O
(end quote)
With no alternative , we sign it

The Pets Passport Policy has done a lot to ease to travel between UK & Europe but we have many outstanding issues that MUST be addressed before its really a good system

:Eeek:

Regards
Graham

Campermad!

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Gulfstream RV
Exp
Since 2000!
Taking your pet for the first time:-@

Hi, We are taking our beloved Mini Dachshund abroad in two weeks time for the first time and I have done loads of research into it and have finally booked a vet in Calais near the docks just for this time around as I felt it would be easier if anything went wrong! They had an English speaking person who was very helpful and has booked it for 30 hours before we travel back which is right inside the necessary window. Make sure you also have a copy of the blood test results from your rabies vaccination as I didnt know you had to have one until I read it today on the web! I have now ordered one from my vets! It is better to have too much paperwork rather than not enough, especially for the first time, but I am sure once we have done it once it will be much easier from then on, (I Hope!):Cool:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi, can anyone give me advice on what we need to do with our 2 yorkies on the way back from France. We set off for France in a fortnight and although we know we have to have them 'ticked and wormed' we are not sure when, in relation to our return, or where - we will be returning on a Sunday ferry, so will need a vets near Dunkirk on Friday or Saturday?

Any advice re where to go, or the costs involved would be greatly appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

There is a vet in St Omar which could be on your route .Also campsite which is partly owned I think by one of the vets and she is English speaking .There is a discount for campsite users at the vet and they will also arrange you vets appointment .Have used it in May. If you need further details let me know and I shall try and find it :thumb:

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
We stayed at Camping Caravaning Nord Pas-de-Calais - La Chaumiere - 59285 Buysscheure and they arranged the vets at St Omer for us. They were really helpful and nice campsite. They provided us with an easy map and instructions as to how to find the vets and the parking for a motorhome was no problem. The vet was really good and spoke english. For our first trip with the pooch it proved very easy indeed. I know there has been a problem with some vets in France not using the accepted treatment but the vet at St Omer was on the ball.
We met 3 other english couples at the vets 2 had travelled extensively with their dogs but now always came back to this vets prior to their return to the UK. We wouldn't hesitate in using the campsite and vet again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back