Pets Abroad (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Can anyone please explain in simple terms ( I get confused easily these days):Doh: the proceedure for taking our dog abroad with us. We have put him in kennels in the past, but are going to be away for about 6 weeks and want to take him with us.
Have looked at gov website and am more confused than before!!
One of the things I am thinking about, is the bit about taking dog to a vet before returning to UK ? whats that all about?:Eeek:
I thought it was just a case of getting vaccinations, chip, and passport and now the rules are going to change again in Jan 2012 ( we are going away Jan 2012)
HELP!!::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/

This has not changed where we are concerned we will still need to go to a French Vet just for ticks and fleas and to make sure all the paperwork is correct really the new change in 2012 is about Quarantine. not about us and our animal passport

Pet travel rules from 1 January 2012
From the 1 January 2012 all pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from.

Animals which do not meet all the rules must be licensed into quarantine. They might then be able to obtain early release if they can be shown to comply with the necessary pet travel requirements.

So you still need to do the following

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for PETS are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date
Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. (NB: ferrets do not need a blood test when they come from the EU or listed third country or territory).
Step 4 – Get PETS documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country or territory you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate although note that Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are also issuing passports.
Step 5 – Before your pet enters the UK, it must be treated against ticks and a tapeworm – Treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.
Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
Where PETS procedures can be carried out

Your pet can be fitted with a microchip in any country or territory. The rabies vaccination (including boosters), blood sampling, issuing the PETS documentation and the tick and tapeworm treatment must all be carried out in the UK or any of the other qualifying countries and territories.

Last edited:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
My Son came home from Spain and he couldnt bring his dog back for 8 months as it didnt have a passport so I see it that in 2012 he would have been able to get the dog Vaccinated and get a passport then come straight home. he would have had to wait for a blood test etc etc well thats they way I see it But its always best to check with the Vet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
My wife is a qualified veterinary nurse, and she has always resisted the idea of taking our two spaniels abroad - I confess I don't know why, I leave all decisions regarding their welfare to her - but she must have her reasons.

I'll ask her tonight and post further.

FULLMOON

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
FORD/BONGO CONVERSION
Exp
i'm a newbie
My wife comes abroad with me and i don't have to take her to the vet's :ROFLMAO:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Its all so easy just follow what Mavis said. Our two Bassets have just come back from nearly 5 weeks in France.

If they did not have their passports

1) we would never be able to leave them for such a long time

2) couldn't afford the kennel fees

3) wouldn't expect any friend or family member to look after my boys for such a period

Go on do it now. So easy to do.::bigsmile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. (NB: ferrets do not need a blood test when they come from the EU or listed third country or territory).

The blood test is no longer needed, as you couldn't bring your dog back into the UK before 1st Jan 2012 anyway (when the new rules take effect). For the last six months of 2011, vets can issue a pet passport as soon as the rabies shot has been given. :Smile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Thanks for that, as it doesnt make it clear, so we should always check with our vet but they dont always know the rules as it difficult when all this first started and my vet forgot to sign and I had to rush the passport back to him. Always check with the vet that the chip hasnt moved or if it has that you know where it is before you go as you are given the reader and its panic if you cant find the chip.
But yes it is all very easy and they are all very nice in Pet control anyway it was relaxing :thumb:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I think reading throu the defra bumf that the decision to have to take dog to vet for flea/ tick treatment is being reviewed at a high level with possibility of owners to administer treatment and complete section in passport, this would be alot better as this is the only real bind with the current system the rest being very straight forward.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Good point that, and I think the wording has changed on the post 01/01/12 Defra advice:
Tick and Tapeworm treatment
Requirements for tapeworm treatment are to be confirmed, so you are advised to check the Defra website prior to travel. Tick and tapeworm treatment is still advised. It is best practice, and best for the health of you and your pet, to treat your pet for ticks and tapeworm before returning to the UK. Consult your vet for further advice.
Originally it was suggesting that the window for the treatment was widening to 24 - 120 hours from the original 24-48 hours (which was always a problem if you wanted to travel late Sunday or Monday), now it seems to be hinting towards treatment by owners as opposed to Vets, which will be a big improvement.
Steve

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
Hi
I have just returned from taking my boxer to Europe for 3 weeks ,and put simply,if you are coming back via the chunnel,there is a vet in Ardres market sq (15 mins outside of calais ) that you take your animal to (open consultancy hour 2-3pm ) .Once the vet has checked your animal over (a tick treatment seems to be the main worry) and signed dated and timed the pet passport that you have obtained from your U K vet ,at least 6 months before departing these shores, then you can board the chunnel after 24 hours has elapsed and not more than 48 hours.
Hope this helps
Roger:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The booster cannot be even one day late

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/

This has not changed where we are concerned we will still need to go to a French Vet just for ticks and fleas and to make sure all the paperwork is correct really the new change in 2012 is about Quarantine. not about us and our animal passport

Pet travel rules from 1 January 2012
From the 1 January 2012 all pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from.

Animals which do not meet all the rules must be licensed into quarantine. They might then be able to obtain early release if they can be shown to comply with the necessary pet travel requirements.

So you still need to do the following

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for PETS are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date
Step 4 – Get PETS documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country or territory you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate although note that Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are also issuing passports.
Step 5 – Before your pet enters the UK, it must be treated against ticks and a tapeworm – Treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.
Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
Where PETS procedures can be carried out

Your pet can be fitted with a microchip in any country or territory. The rabies vaccination (including boosters), blood sampling, issuing the PETS documentation and the tick and tapeworm treatment must all be carried out in the UK or any of the other qualifying countries and territories.

The booster cannot even be one day late, or you start all over again.

At this time the dog cannot come back into the UK until the 6th month from the blood test being given the OK.. from January 1st next year it will be 21 days.. so if you do not intend to travel until next year wait until after the 1st january then there is only the 21 day wait for the rabbies jab to take effect.

We use a very good vet in Amiens who deal with lots of English people.. charge €29 for the jabs and stamp the passport in three (3) places. We use the euro tunnel that has a very good PETS unit and just pass you the scanner to read the chip and check the passport matches. we often hold over night at a camp site at Amiens which is a couple klm from the VETS in Amiens. p.m. me if you need more details.

It is easy to travel with a dog and we take our St Bernard with us all the time.

Bob:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mine have travelled through EU countries (Cyprus to Germany to Spain to France to UK, back to France, back to UK etc...) for last 5 years. Never had a problem.

From Jan 2012 the UK will no longer require the blood test and 6 month wait BUT if I were you I'd wait until several people had tried it out before doing the return without a blood test.

If you'd rather the blood test was done, just do everything in the sequence stated and you shouldn't have any problems.

All mine do the 4 hour ferry crossing in the car calmly--no signs of stress when I get back to them--usually wake the dogs up.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Further to my previous post I checked with my wife (veterinary nurse) and she has no problems with taking our dogs abroad from a veterinary point of view - just the hassle and the dependency on an unknown vet being able to do the necessary checks within a fairly brief time scale - she worries about what may happen if the chosen vet were ill, or the surgery closed/moved - having to find an alternative quickly - personally I feel her fears are ungrounded as is evidenced by the many posters who do take their pets abroad with no problems. She is the oracle on our dogs though so we won't be taking them abroad. :winky:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I must say, we have never worried about appointments in France and just turn up at the vet's. They've always seen us without complaint. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
We have booked the last two appointments to ensure an appointment. We have e-mailed them in French and they make it for us. We have noted down Vets in various places on our sat nav in case we are unable to use the one we have been using.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Mine have travelled through EU countries (Cyprus to Germany to Spain to France to UK, back to France, back to UK etc...) for last 5 years. Never had a problem.

From Jan 2012 the UK will no longer require the blood test and 6 month wait BUT if I were you I'd wait until several people had tried it out before doing the return without a blood test.

If you'd rather the blood test was done, just do everything in the sequence stated and you shouldn't have any problems.

All mine do the 4 hour ferry crossing in the car calmly--no signs of stress when I get back to them--usually wake the dogs up.

I'm not to sure on this but I think from Jan 2012 after the rabies injection you have to wait 21 days before travelling abroad, but their is no blood test required. Best thing is to check with your vet before doing anything.

Edit just found this on web page:
The new rules
The big changes that will impact on pet travel between France and the UK, are that the whole process will become far less time consuming as the waiting period after vaccination against rabies is to be reduced to just 21 days, and the requirement for a blood test to prove that the vaccination has taken effect is to be removed. It will also no longer be necessary to have a vet administer tick treatments before travel. These moves will also reduce costs for pet owners, as there will be less visits to the vet, less products required and no laboratory analysis to pay for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back