Petrol Stations Jumping The Gun?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gooney, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Has anyone like me, noticed the Forecourt fuel prices have jumped up the last few days, I think the petrol companies are getting their increase in now hoping it will be disguised by and blamed on the imminent VAT increase. :swear:

2. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

Rip off Britain!!!!!!!!!!! Never:Doh: What makes me mad is the govt make a fuss about green fuels yet increase LPG so much its not worth people fitting it as it takes so long to get a gain in expenditure.

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

4. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I hadn't seen this cutting from the Express but having read it it seems to support my thoughts, at a local Shell garage today, Diesel £1.30 ltr. however at Asda £1.24 (which is still a big increase from before christmas)

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Asda and Morrisons keep the like of Tesco's prices low, left to it's own Tesco would not be that cheap.

6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

They always do that, so they don't get the flack! Really annoys me. I noticed LPG has shot up too - 17p a litre more than last week! Getting to a point where it will be cheaper to run on petrol!

7. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

Agree with this, at our local Tesco Diesel is 128.9 no Asda or Morrisons within 10 miles :Angry:

8. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I paid £1.27 a ltr for diesel yesterday at the BP station where we have our account.

Don't think it will be long before we hit £1.50 ltr, filling up the RV tomorrow Derv and LPG dred it.

Have a great new year Rick.

9. carpyone

carpyone Read Only Funster

Diesel at local BP now£1.34.9 a litre!!!

Rip off Britain for sure.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Morrisons Teesside Park today is 125.9 for diesel. If you have a Morrisons card you get the equivalent of 1.5p off.

Total garage up the road for us is a penny dearer.

Haven't been near Asda or Tesco so can't report their prices.

11. Northerner

Northerner Read Only Funster

Rip-off Britain is a bit of a myth. The biggest rip-off is in the taxes that are imposed on petrol. The cost of the petrol in each litre is under 50 pence. The rest is taxes and VAT.

Costs such as this knock on to all the other things that need transporting.

The other big factor is currency. Petrol is priced in dollars. A couple of years ago a pound bought two dollars, it now buys one and a half.

Prices in Britain are very similar to other European countries but we never hear about rip-off France for instance, where you even have to pay to drive on the motorways!

The USA is a very different market with lower wages, lower social taxes such as N.I., fewer costly employee benefits such as long paid-holidays and maternity leave and, most of all, cheaper land, which results in lower business rents and rates. I could go on.

Of course, you'll always get the odd business that tries it on, but they usually don't survive. Anyone doing business on eBay for instance will see that there are thousands of businesses in the UK that have high customer satisfaction ratings. We tend to remember the few dodgy ones and conveniently forget the ones trading honestly and doing their best for their clients.

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the price of diesel always goes through the roof in winter due to massive demand from america for home heating.

we use kerosene, the yanks use diesel.

come spring the demand will decrease and the uk price will drop...slightly.

13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I know we are all talking about it on here, but is there anybody other than me who is REALLY REALLY worried about it.... i am so scared that I may have to give up my motorhome if prices keep rising like this.... or am I worrying for nothing....:Sad:

14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Sorry Mr Northener, rip of Britain is NOT a myth, as stated when I opened this thread, Shell diesel £1.30/ltr, Asda £1.24/ltr. Companies charge what they think they can get. You can't justify by saying Asda has big buying power, all the fuel comes from the same Shell refinery about 10 miles down the road.

15. Northerner

Northerner Read Only Funster

And this doesn't happen in any other countries? Come on! When you sell your house what do you do? You get as much as you can for it. The job of a businessman is to get the best price he can, otherwise it's not a business, it's a hobby!

Competition is what forces prices down and if a retailer can squeeze a little more because there isn't as much competition then he will. But I say again, do you really believe that exactly the same thing does not happen in France, Germany, the USA and everywhere else for that matter?

Apart from which, comparing an independent Shell dealer with a huge supermarket is hardly a fair comparison. It's a bit like comparing the corner shop with Tesco! The fuel may come from the same refinery but Asda will have a far better national deal as it has hundreds of outlets. Do you really think that an independent buys as cheaply as Asda?

Perhaps the Shell dealer has just filled his tanks at the new slightly higher rate whilst Asda has stock bought last week? You really have no idea of knowing why there's a difference. Prices are rising and are volatile so there will always be dealers who have stock bought at last week's price and those who've just restocked at a higher one.

I presume that you've been on the Continent and noticed the huge disparity in fuel prices there, between small dealers and supermarkets for example? Is it rip-off France or rip-off Germany? Rip off Britain is a myth, we're no different than any other country.

16. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I'm surprised you used house selling as an example, wasn't that called gazumping, a hated practice. As I stated in the start of this thread £1.30 from Shell and £1.24 from Asda for diesel. This is not a snap shot, it's a trend, the poor local Shell dealer paying new prices and the big bad ASDA having loads of old stock to sell off, rubbish!! it all comes from the SHELL refinery. Anyone who doesn't patronise a near supplier who offers even a 1P discount is supporting RIP OFF BRITAIN

17. pappajohn

supermarkets have, on average, two to three deliveries per week so what old stock would you be talking about ?

the main difference in price is the quality of the additives put in the fuel.
    a shell garage will have premium fuel with all the additives and asda, tesco, morrisons will have the minimum of additives.

there are three ways to add the additives...at the refinery during tanker filling(premium grade for their own forecourts) , at the refinery during bulk storage (everyone gets the same) and at the supermarket forecourt by the tanker driver (minimum additives).

18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hiya PAPS, the facts about old stock came from 'Northerner' not me, I'm a trusting soul, I just took that as gospel, but seeing as my faith is being questioned I must ask the question 'What are the benefits of the additives you mention? how much more MPG, how much more engine life do I expect for the extra 4p per litre

19. pappajohn

firstly, apologies for quoting the wrong person :Blush:

the additives increase cetane rating of deisel and octane rating of petrol although there MUST legally be a minimum rating for both, i think its a minimum of 97 octane for petrol and 540 cetane for diesel..also will be the quality of anti foaming agents and detergents to 'clean' the engine and injection system.
    supermarkets will only pay for the absolute minimum quality/quantity.
    the better quality/quantity of the additives the better the octane/cetane rating, anti waxing and anti-foaming action.

anti foaming is needed to ensure you get diesel, not diesel and some air filled foam and to stop foaming in the tank when filling and travelling.
    anti waxing additives are needed to stop diesel 'freezing' in winter.
    the higher the cetane, the better the burn efficiency.

if we still used the diesel from the 1950's and 60's we would still be adding small amounts of petrol to diesel and lighting oily rags under the diesel tank to stop waxing in winter.

these advances in fuel technology have to be re-cooped from somewhere....the customer.

20. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

if we still used the diesel from the 1950's and 60's we would still be adding small amounts of petrol to diesel and lighting oily rags under the diesel tank to stop waxing in winter.

these advances in fuel technology have to be re-cooped from somewhere....the customer.[/QUOTE]

Bugger, are you saying that I am the only one still doing this.:Eeek:

Don