Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi all

I saw this on Facebook and thought it might be of interest. It seems genuine but I'm no expert. :Smile:

Do not Pump Full Tank of Petrol.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE REASONS -- DO NOT DONATE FUEL
Recently I came across a very useful tip. I was surprised to know it but had a doubt so I talked to one of the pump technicians and he too accepted it as a fact. I think apart from providing space for the gas generated inside the petrol tank this is yet another reason why we shouldn't fill the tank to the brim. Many of us are not aware that the petrol kiosk pump has a return pipe-line (in Pink). When the petrol tank (in the car) reaches full level, there is a mechanism to trigger off the pump latch and at the same time a return-valve is opened (at the top of the pump station) to allow excess petrol to flow back into the pump. But the return petrol has already pass through the meter, meaning you are donating the petrol back to the Oil Dealer.

Also only fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your liter is not exactly a liter. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so excess fuel can flow back uphill from the nozzle to the pump unaided...extremely doubtful.

In our climate, the temperature just 1 meter below ground is an almost constant 12°c ....which is why ground source heat pumps work.
This may work for LPG as the tanks are invariable above ground.

No disrespect but unfortunately your statement is so full of holes there's more chance of losing fuel from evaporation and spillage.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like a typical urban (internet) myth... I will continue to fill up my tank when I can afford it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No more convinced this time than I was when it was last published on this site some time ago.:winky:

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
As I said I am not an expert. Sometimes such posts have merit. I took a chance hoping to be helpful. My bad. An error I won't repeat here again. :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I said I am not an expert. Sometimes such posts have merit. I took a chance hoping to be helpful. My bad. An error I won't repeat here again. :Doh:

Hey, dont worry about it....its the thought that counts.

nothing wrong with the post, just that its a tad unbelievable :winky::roflmto:

what makes it even more unbelievable is the author asked a pump technician if it was true....and he said yes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

Don't be daft man if nobody put any thing up without being afraid of repeating something we may be missing out on something interesting
I had never seen this one before
Think its a myth but that's not point

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Not all info from all sources is for real.
Don't be put off.
If you think there is useful info, post it.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If theres any doubting that this is a long running myth that pops up every now and then, [FONT=&quot]Please read this -[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Link Removed

personally I like people posting info they found, even when not correct, as it gives rise to discussion

[/FONT]

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Don't stop posting anything you think is useful. That's what this place is about I thought? :winky::thumb::thumb::thumb:

If it sounds too good to be true a quick google before posting may be advisable. You never know you might enjoy debunking these things and help stop them spreading on facebook etc :thumb: Or post them and ask us to debunk as some of us do like looking up stuff like this...

Most of my friends now know to look stuff up before posting on facebook and they take some pleasure in shooting them down now as well. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back