Petition (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been a camper for the past 30 years, I have never found any lacking in overnight parking facilities.
The country is full of campsites and CLs of every kind. What exactly is this petition about. I agree that tents could do with service station facilities but those on wheels can stay in the car park.
More facilities for tents yes, the rest have more than enough facilities....

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe if it was better worded and benefits given to councils etc it might get more support.

Looks like it's just someone saying

"We want " just like all the others that have failed so I won't be signing. Put a good argument forward then maybe notice will be taken.

Or go to Scotland. We don't need aires :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well I see it as an Aires type situation. By having a network of Aires then local economies will prosper too.
I travel extensively in the EU with little camping costs but I'd like to see more of the UK but at around £20/25 a night for a bit of grass and extra for the dog, it's too expensive. We can easily do 4 weeks in France, Germany etc eat and train costs for less than a few weeks here.
Incidentally, signed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We really could do with Aires in the UK but that petition is not going to help the cause.

Since changing from tuggers to Motorhomes the biggest change to our way of camping is we don't bother with the UK anymore. Found the UK to unwelcoming to Motorhomes so we go where we are made to feel welcome.

CS's & CL's are OK for tuggers but often too far out of the way for Motorhomes that combinded we the trend of having EHU which they charge for even if you don't want it and charges of £15 a night makes me think they have lost the plot. For the price of a week or two on CS's or CL's We can get a ferry to France and spend a month there.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well I see it as an Aires type situation. By having a network of Aires then local economies will prosper too.
I travel extensively in the EU with little camping costs but I'd like to see more of the UK but at around £20/25 a night for a bit of grass and extra for the dog, it's too expensive. We can easily do 4 weeks in France, Germany etc eat and train costs for less than a few weeks here.
Incidentally, signed
If I'm honest I look at Aires and think Why ? Rammed in like sardines with few facilities.. If people are so tight how much are they going to spend locally ? I go on holiday to enjoy not scrimp save and be packed in tight.
I know there are a few that are better but most look awful !

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If I'm honest I look at Aires and think Why ? Rammed in like sardines with few facilities.. If people are so tight how much are they going to spend locally ? I go on holiday to enjoy not scrimp save and be packed in tight.
You must be using extremely popular Aires. The vast majority we use are certainly not packed like sardines. However, we use Eastern France rather than the recommended places in Brittany and Normandy etc. To my memory the only Aire we went to that was packed was Fort Mahon in Northern France but day after, it was only half full.
It's not being tight at all. Not all Aires are free. One we particularly like is Pont a Mousson and that's €10 a night (sixth night free if you pay for 5). Own spot, EHU, fresh water tap at placement, on riverbank, very good showers and toilets. Nice stroll into town.
Lac du Der, no EHU but €5 a night and nice lakeside area.
A couple on route, for example, Chambresis for example. 5 places, free EHU, free fresh water, black and grey emptying facilities....free of charge. Small town but nice walks and Lidl within 200 yards.
We also use ACSI and occasionally wild and municipal.
I don't have a problem people wanting facilities for their children or a bar, restaurant on site but I don't need them and don't want to contribute to their upkeep.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I wonder if we are too preoccupied with the French style aires but overlook the part that the pub stopover system offers. We've stayed on some lovely pub car parks in various parts of the country. They are often in picturesque situations with the management offering various degree's of 'security' and a short walk to the bar. Perhaps we could encourage landlords to develop this further.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You must be using extremely popular Aires. The vast majority we use are certainly not packed like sardines. However, we use Eastern France rather than the recommended places in Brittany and Normandy etc. To my memory the only Aire we went to that was packed was Fort Mahon in Northern France but day after, it was only half full.
I'm saying about the ones I've seen some right next door to the proper camp sites .. there are exceptions of course as I said above. Oh and I've never used aires .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You must be going to the wrong ones we never had a problem with Aires we prefer them to sites. Can't stand this site thing you must be off by 11am or 12 pm or we will charge you for another day, on paying Aires you pay for 24hr much more sensible. We often arrive late afternoon and do our site seeing in the morning then set of for the next place in the afternoon rarely stay more than one or two nights, just doesn't work on sites also we don't feel comfortable on sites.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm saying about the ones I've seen some right next door to the proper camp sites .. there are exceptions of course as I said above. Oh and I've never used aires .
Very interesting @Charlie. I've used campsites, municipal and private, plus wild and Aires and with no alternative to expensive sites here, I'd back the petition. It's not compulsory to use but handy for others. Admittedly there are Aires I wouldn't use because of conditions but that's very low.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I wonder if we are too preoccupied with the French style aires but overlook the part that the pub stopover system offers. We've stayed on some lovely pub car parks in various parts of the country. They are often in picturesque situations with the management offering various degree's of 'security' and a short walk to the bar. Perhaps we could encourage landlords to develop this further.
Well we already have things like Brit Stops for that, similar to France Passion.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Signed, I am all for choice and I do believe petitions work if people sign them. I dont mind paying site fees if I have the time to use and enjoy a location and facilities but when I am travelling a safe and big enough parking space is a boon.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Signed, I am all for choice and I do believe petitions work if people sign them. I dont mind paying site fees if I have the time to use and enjoy a location and facilities but when I am travelling a safe and big enough parking space is a boon.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Motorway services and lay-bys are good enough for other road users Granjar, how are we different...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My thoughts exactly, but no doubt there are some really nice Aires about . Found a couple when with @Popeye last September that I thought were ok ish , but le crotoy and honfluer are gross .great locations but worse than a car park and not free ..roy

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Motorway services and lay-bys are good enough for other road users Granjar, how are we different...

Motorway services charge and some quite a lot. Not all lay-byes are legal to stay overnight
(y)

If you know where to head it makes life easier, no doggers or disturbed nights, not trespassing etc, I suppose I am a conformer. Just happy enough to pay a few quid.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have been a camper for the past 30 years, I have never found any lacking in overnight parking facilities.
The country is full of campsites and CLs of every kind. What exactly is this petition about. I agree that tents could do with service station facilities but those on wheels can stay in the car park.
More facilities for tents yes, the rest have more than enough facilities....
Click the ' more details' button, it's about freeloaders wanting legal overnight parking.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
(y)

If you know where to head it makes life easier, no doggers or disturbed nights, not trespassing etc, I suppose I am a conformer. Just happy enough to pay a few quid.
Very true but I like going to places I've not been before and last time I paid £10.00 at services just to park and parked in a lovely place till a fridge truck turned up

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I am aware that paying is alien to many motorhomers but as already said, lorries manage without complaint...
It's not alien to me but some campsites are stupid. Lorries are tolerated but some are full or industrial estates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back