Petition for Aires in the UK & something to be done about Dartford crossing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ebo, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ebo

ebo Read Only Funster

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I don't see any problem with the Dartford crossing. I've used it several times since it changed and never had any issues. Now the barriers have gone it's quicker than it ever was.

Not even going to comment on the other one :doh:

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Dartford one might have a chance of success, as so many people use it, if there is really a problem. We've used it once each way, at the end of January. The bridge was a bit slow but that was because of high winds and the tunnel was no problem even though the barriers were still in place at the time.

As for the aires one, as usual the petition is based on inaccurate foundations. When I see such petitions I immediately think of the chorus to Seeger's Where Have All The Flowers Gone. I suppose, though, it's easier for somebody to start a petition with little thought than it is to actually put in the effort to identify a viable site for an aire and then work with a council involved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Yes the queue was only 3 miles yesterday instead of the old 6 +.lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

The bigger issue with dartford is that it's supposed to be toll free by now.

6. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

if they took away the toll booths,, its toll free, or am i missing something?

7. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

It's still toll, you pay with an account or online.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickNic

Yes. ANPR cameras. You need an account.

9. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

thanks,, i didnt know that

• Like Like x 1
  10. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ive signed the aires one, they ought to be looking at this.

Im really surprised that GJH is anti.

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Look back at my comments about previous, similar, wastes of time and you shouldn't be.

What government is going to try to compel councils to provide facilities for which no real demand can be demonstrated? As we saw from a recent post, the cost of provision in Portrush (where a demand had been shown) was just shy of £50,000; how could that be justified all over the country without real evidence that it would be money well spent?

I will support anyone who identifies a potentially viable site for an aire, draws up a prima facie case and makes contact with the council concerned with a view to showing how provision, in that place, would be beneficial to all.

Starting a petition like this, which will gain far fewer signatures than needed for any action, is a waste of time. Indeed, it could even damage the case in general because anyone wanting to argue against creating an aire could point to the lack of support which these petitions get as a reason why the expenditure would be a waste of time.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I've signed as well. As soon as people stop seeing Aires as potential money making schemes and provide them inline with other European countries guidelines, (and methods of funding) then we might be in with a chance of getting some.

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That got me thinking Allan. I've never actually seen written details of the guidelines and funding methods which govern provision of aires in other countries. Do you know if there are any (in English preferably) on-line? Are they the same in all other countries or do they vary between countries?

14. NickNic

There aren't any guidelines, it's another myth.

They are all different. They are all different sizes and have different facilities ranging from an identified area of an existing car park to places that are campsites in all but name. Some are provided by the local authority and are free or have a nominal charge, some are private and are run as commercial operations.

• Like Like x 1
  15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    There may not be universal guidelines regarding the facilities etc of aires (what exactly is an 'aire'?) but each country, possibly at regional level, has it's own rules and regulations about the setting up and use of 'aires'.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Speve

Speve Funster

There is probably a pot of money from European funding hidden away somewhere that our councils could get a grant to assist in the construction of aires, but probably very difficult to find.

• Like Like x 2
  17. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Don't think Graham is anti, more like realistic.

To simply say "we want aires" is a non starter, as is to say that the provision of aires will boost the local economy.
    How many posts do we see on this and other MH forums clearly stating many folk take all they need with them because Aldi is cheaper than a village shop?
    The economy boost sermon cant be shown to stand up.
    Also, quite a few don't seem to want to pay for anything, so free aires will become the norm?

The whole issue of providing aires in the UK is a non starter due to the authorities' lack of balls in preventing travellers setting up camp and turning parking areas into crap holes.
    Not just travellers as such are guilty, the issue of piss takers is very much to the fore, with folk setting up for a fortnight's holiday, also turning car parks and the like into refugee camps.

The issue should be to compel Local Authorities and Police Forces to properly police parking areas, moving on over stayers, both travelers and MHers alike.
    if Aires are required, that's the start point, surely?

I don't like the use of the term "compel" councils to provide.
    Why should any council be forced to provide services other than those in the interests of its own council tax payers?
    (Please don't come back with the usual garbage about how we pay council tax in our own areas...that entitles us to facilities in our areas, not globally.)

• Like Like x 5
  18. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

28 Countries in the EU of which, if you are to believe the petition, 4 have Aires of one sort or another. This makes the UK the odd one out? I don't think so!

:cooler:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

In many of the smaller, generally free Aires in France there are notices, usually on the service points saying where the funding has come from. It generally consists of funds and grants from EU, Marie, regional council, sports grounds ( if there are any) and local businesses ( if there are any).

• Like Like x 1
  20. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I didn't even know there was a charge for the Dartford crossing! Wasn't till we where almost on the crossing, managed to have a quick look online and seen charge was between 6 am to 10 pm, luckily I was crossing at 4.30 am, no doubt they'll be lots of outsider's getting caught out.