Pet passport technical issue (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I got our Pet passport last week and on checking it thoroughly it would appear there is a minor error.

The passport should be completed in an 8 digit date format i.e. 15/03/2017, but on the section for the rabies jab the vet has put 17 not 2017. I spoke to the vets and they said if you don't hear back its fine. So I emailed the pet passport people and there reply was - yes the vet should of done 2017 but I don't think you will be refused entry!! I have saved this email.

Has anyone else got a passport filled in like this and any advice?
I'm considering going back and getting the vet to re write the entry below but it will make it messier. Its only a minor issue! Arghhh

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wouldn't worry about it. We've made lots of trips and not had a problem.

IMG_0963.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Stacetop looking at my picture above what makes you thing it should be an 8 digit date? It looks to me like 6 digit is fine.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks I know our passport in the newer version which requires 2017 but I can't see it being a big deal if the old ones were just two digits for the year! Interestingly our vet only gives us two years rabies vaccine too but it does look similar to yours

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Every other date in the passport is in 4 digits, I think with the newer ones they have got a bit stricter as where the vet signs for our jab it has to include name , practice , phone number , signature etc not just a stamp anymore. Her stamp is on the issuing page!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks I know our passport in the newer version which requires 2017 but I can't see it being a big deal if the old ones were just two digits for the year! Interestingly our vet only gives us two years rabies vaccine too but it does look similar to yours

It depends on the vaccine they use. Some vets use one that needs annual boosters.

I wouldn't accept anything less than 3 years.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I won't next time, although I did compare our vets costs and that of another nearby practice and saved about £40 at mine which I have used for 14 yrs with last dog (he didn't have a passport though)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Every other date in the passport is in 4 digits, I think with the newer ones they have got a bit stricter as where the vet signs for our jab it has to include name , practice , phone number , signature etc not just a stamp anymore. Her stamp is on the issuing page!

You will see from the picture that the latest vaccine was 2 days ago. The official stamp is all that's required.

Some vets aren't above a little profiteering when a Pet Passport is involved :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wouldn't worry about it, the page on the passport clearly shows it as dd / mm / (y)(y) not dd mm / (y)(y) so there is not reason why it shouldn't be accepted if it is entered in the shorter form otherwise surely all pet passports would have to be recalled and replaced with the longer date format requirements.

We've got pet passports with both types of date in them and never had a problem.

Edit ... alright why is it that when I put y y (without the space) it turns it into the silly smiley????

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I wouldn't worry about it, the page on the passport clearly shows it as dd/mm/(y), not dd/mm/(y)(y), so there is not reason why it shouldn't be accepted if it is entered in the shorter form otherwise surely all pet passports would have to be recalled and replaced with the longer date format requirements.

We've got pet passports with both types of date in them and never had a problem.

I agree just can't help worrying a little as it will be our first time travelling with a dog. Can't see it being a major issue but this is the new current guidance from Defra

Vaccination Date/Valid From/Valid Until

The expiry date of the vaccine (i.e. its use by date) should not be entered as the ‘valid until’ date. Both parts of the box must be completed and entries must be in dd/mm/yyyy format, e.g. 01/05/2012. In the case of an animal currently vaccinated, the date of vaccination can be entered on the basis of practice records, suitable supporting evidence issued by another veterinary practice or a vaccination record card signed by a veterinarian, all of which must show the animal’s microchip number. Please ensure that the information entered in the passport is clearly legible. For the first recorded vaccine, a ‘valid from’ date should be entered. This date is the 21st day after the first vaccination where the day of vaccination is day 0. Subsequent booster vaccines given within the validity period of the previous vaccine do not need an entry in the ‘valid from’ field.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
No the above is not meant to be showing (y)(y) as those smily faces!!They have gone and swapped themselves in!

Arghh it should be y y y y

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree just can't help worrying a little as it will be our first time travelling with a dog. Can't see it being a major issue but this is the new current guidance from Defra

Vaccination Date/Valid From/Valid Until

The expiry date of the vaccine (i.e. its use by date) should not be entered as the ‘valid until’ date. Both parts of the box must be completed and entries must be in dd/mm/(y)(y) format, e.g. 01/05/2012. In the case of an animal currently vaccinated, the date of vaccination can be entered on the basis of practice records, suitable supporting evidence issued by another veterinary practice or a vaccination record card signed by a veterinarian, all of which must show the animal’s microchip number. Please ensure that the information entered in the passport is clearly legible. For the first recorded vaccine, a ‘valid from’ date should be entered. This date is the 21st day after the first vaccination where the day of vaccination is day 0. Subsequent booster vaccines given within the validity period of the previous vaccine do not need an entry in the ‘valid from’ field.

Once you've been to Pet Passport check in once you'll understand how much they care about Defra and their guidance (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No the above is not meant to be showing (y)(y) as those smily faces!!They have gone and swapped themselves in!

Arghh it should be y y y y
... but why ?????

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Must be a secret code (y)

Maybe the passport should just have the smily faces!

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
This is mine for your info, just blocked vets details for security (paranoid!)

Attachments

• scout rabies copy.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 24
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Mine being older asks for date as dd/mm/y y. My vet uses that method but the French vet chooses the
dd/mm/y y y y method.

vet2.JPG
1111.JPG

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It's not what you want to hear but last time we went through with the dogs in Easter last year we had one dog rejected as the date wasn't fully legible, honestly you could read it although it had faded slightly over time and the hand writing of the vet was hard to read. This same passport and dog had been through maybe 10 x before without issue but on that occasion they decided it was a "no"

We have had to replace the passport to overcome this for the future.

In the end it's someone's opinion that decides yes/no.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's not what you want to hear but last time we went through with the dogs in Easter last year we had one dog rejected as the date wasn't fully legible, honestly you could read it although it had faded slightly over time and the hand writing of the vet was hard to read. This same passport and dog had been through maybe 10 x before without issue but on that occasion they decided it was a "no"

So what happened? Rejection would mean being unable to re-enter the UK until the rabies vaccination was re-done (with the attendant wait to see if it takes) whilst stuck in France.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??

And????

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
I'm with pappajohn on this one . No mistaking give or take a 100 years

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we went back to the UK a few weeks ago, our French vet had written 16 instead of 17 ( 2017) on our worm tablet page. The staff at the Pet reception ( tunnel) noticed it and changed it for us so we could travel. They aren't all jobsworths there.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The only way we could convince them was to get our vet to prepare an attestation (certificate) stating that he had provided the vaccines after the chip date. This was at 1am and it took a while to reach him..... we did get through although it took around 90mins longer that usual.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
The only way we could convince them was to get our vet to prepare an attestation (certificate) stating that he had provided the vaccines after the chip date. This was at 1am and it took a while to reach him..... we did get through although it took around 90mins longer that usual.

I think this would be what we would end up doing if there was an issue! I think we will just go for it. Its obvious if you read the passport thats its 2017! I think we will be ok with the tunnel return on our first trip but for our second we are coming back via Santander! We will just have to make sure we check in with plenty of time to spare!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our problem was slightly different. The dog's colour on his vaccination certificate was described as "tan". The vet spoke good English but this was a new word for him. All sorted with smiles. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Crikey all these Anti Rabies Jabs:Eeek:
Do the Dogs need em too ?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
So what happened? Rejection would mean being unable to re-enter the UK until the rabies vaccination was re-done (with the attendant wait to see if it takes) whilst stuck in France.

And that wait is 21 days from the time the Rabies treatment is given and the Pet Passport signed and stamped.

If you want a longer holiday ..........

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

com.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back