pet on ferry

Discussion in 'Pets' started by breeks, Aug 23, 2010.

1. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

just wondering if your van broke down. and you had to go on ferry as foot pasenger with your dog. does anyone know the procedure or has it happend to anyone. just thinking of things that might go wrong. before i go.

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

You will give youself a head ache thinking like that. Good question though. As I'm aware dogs arent allowed to travel on the ferry loose, so to speak and so you would likely have to wait until the van was fixed or hire a car and exchange your ticket or ?????

Jim
    :Smile:

3. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

know what you mean i just had a vision of me trying to walk on with my rottie. :Laughing:

4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I dont know about abroad , as grandma comes to stay at our house , to look after our 2 Borders when we go.
    But , when we went to the I.O.W in may , we took both dogs out of the MH as there was a dog area :thumb:
    It was like a conservatory , airconditioned , on the top deck.
    Just for dogs and there owners. Complete with bowls of water , which i thought was nice.
    Bev

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

OK - so they put dog in a cage below decks and the then ferry hits an iceberg. What is your contingency plan for this ?

I guess you use your James Bond portable plasma cutter to cut down through the decks to your dog and free it. Leg it up top and they refuse to let a dog on the life boat as it is unhygienic and a risk if the dog gets excited and bites a passenger.

"*&*^%" you say, "I wish I'd stayed at home".

But not to fail at this stage, you get out your James Bond self inflating boat and jump aboard.

"At last" you say, "I have won" when an olde farte trying to row away from the sinking ferry slices through your inflatable with his out of control oars.

"Now where is my James Bond puncture repair kit ?" you ask yourself. "I'm sure I packed it". "Of course, it's in the pocket on the side". "Oh %^^%$£ the side the olde farte just cut off". "Will I get a refund ?" you ask yourself as you sink slowly into the freezing cold water.

Watch this channel this time next week for episode 2 of "Me and my mutt".

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm sure its happened before and I have seen kennels on ferries but it was a long time ago. I imagine a lot would depend on which ferry company who probably have different policys, as well as the attitude of the staff. If you are worried about it, fire off an email to the ferry company, I'm sure you will get an answer:thumb:

7. alan

alan Funster

If you're really worried about this possibility you can take out caravan club red pennant insurance and they do cover this, expensive if you are over 65 and going long stay, they quoted us over £700 for 6 months .
    Alan

8. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

i am not realy worried i was just having a talk with the miises and she recond they would let you walk on with dog. why should i be worried about a fiat ducato breaking down.:Laughing:

9. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

:Smile:

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

no problem on Cal Mac ferries .. dogs go with owners except in the Bar :thumb:

then again.. Cal Mac aint fussy who goes on board ..

you see some right sights .. drunks rolling around in the toilets .. and this in the ladies on AM ferry to Brodick :Laughing:

11. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

sounds like my type of ferry:Laughing:

12. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

Hi Breeks
    Are you going to France?, if you have a Rottie I'm sure you are aware there are restrictions in France. Rotties are class 2 dogs and must be muzzled, insured and may need to be registered with The Marie

spongy

13. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

One does wonder why you were on the ship and in the ladies Jim?:Eeek:

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

you made me smile

Just could imagine it Brian... Boy if I had to think about that as well as all the other issues when I take Ezzie the Saint Bernard across via the tunnel I think I would give up before I started.

Life is to short.

Bob

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that would be telling John :Wink:

16. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

:Eek!::Eek!:
    hi i did not know that i went to france about 5 year ago with my first rottie and was wandering about with her sat in cafes pubs ect. and did not have a muzzle. on her. didn't seem to be a prob.maybe laws have changed since then .i am planing on going to germany and maybe stop in France for a couple of nights.think i will give it a miss if this is right.

17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have NEVER seen an animal of any sort outside a vehicle on a cross channel ferry yet,and must have traveled 1000s of times whilst working and since retiring.

18. Simba

Simba Read Only Funster

The following web page may be useful also got a list of vets in France

http://www.day-tripper.net/info-pets-abroad.html

"Quote"

Banned Breeds
    Several breeds are now banned from importation. This includes the Pitbull terrier but more notably for most travellers, all Staffordshire Bull terrier crosses or purebred dogs without papers. It does not apply to pedigree dogs i.e. dogs with Kennel club registration and documentation. This same ruling also applies to English mastiffs.
    All these breeds as well as Rottweilers and any Rottweiler crosses must be muzzled and on a lead in all public places.

19. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

well i suppose i better get a muzzle this is going to be great fun trying to get her to keep it on.:Doh:

20. Simba

Simba Read Only Funster

Know how you must feel. We would not want either of our dogs muzzled.