Pet Insurance (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Travelling in Europe on extended visits we pay full insurance for our dog. We require 90 day cover per visit and at least two visits per year.

This year the premium for my 7 year old Border Collie/German Shepard cross has gone up from £180 to £230 despite never having made a claim.

ON scanning price comparison sites it is clear that many insurance companies will only provide up to 30 days cover.

Does anyone know of a reputable pet insurer with reasonable rates. (We are currently with SAGA)?

Thanks, someone out there must know the best !

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Whatever you have just make sure you have good insurance. Just had to have my wonderful black Labrador put to sleep after vets convincing me they could make him better and then giving me a bill for £2200!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Travelling in Europe on extended visits we pay full insurance for our dog. We require 90 day cover per visit and at least two visits per year.

This year the premium for my 7 year old Border Collie/German Shepard cross has gone up from £180 to £230 despite never having made a claim.

ON scanning price comparison sites it is clear that many insurance companies will only provide up to 30 days cover.

Does anyone know of a reputable pet insurer with reasonable rates. (We are currently with SAGA)?

Thanks, someone out there must know the best !

Give LV a ring, my insurance kept going up and up every year when he was 7yo I got in touch with LV and the premium went down for the same T&C's

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Maison

It may be because you dog is getting older and more suseptical to illness etc.
SWMBO has just informed me that she paid £90 plus a £10 excess for Pet Travel Extension for our 2 yrs old Shorkie. We are with SAGA

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
tesco pet ins 6 yr o;d cocker spaniel £230 and max 60 days abroad

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As the dogs get older the price goes up, I have to admit that my dogs are not insured this year, one of them is 11 and her premium went from 380 to a whopping 650 this year, now ever since i got her she has been insured she has had teeth extractions and a stitch in her nose where a rat bit her - so twice in the 6 years she has been with us and insured.
Dont get me wrong its not that i cant afford it but that i object to vets and insurance taking the preverbial, first thing out of vets mouth when a dog needs treatment - is s/he insured? oh yes they want to know because they can run riot doing this and that test and charging it to your insurance to pay, then the insurance companies put the premiums up

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just a word of warning to pet owners a couple of years ago we sadly had to have a pony put down and after paying almost £28 inc public liability a month for just short of 10 years. When i made my claim ,i was refused and got nothing because the vet had prescribed a medication that cost me £6 at the end of my previous year and i did not inform them thinking it was not worth claiming. Pet Plan ,used this as an excuse not to payout and also refused to return the 10 months payments we paid after the date they said they would not have covered him had we informed them .I have since found out this is not uncommon as they will use any excuse in the book to avoid paying.We do not use pet insurance now ,we just put that money to one side and well in profit at the moment.To them who pre fare to pay ,i advise you strongly to keep insurance companies informed of the smallest of medication prescribed to your pet so as to avoid what happened to us.

norfolkenchants

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Pet Plan

You have to be so careful with pet insurance. We had major problems with a policy sold by a national chain of shops whose behaviour in trying to dodge a claim was frankly scandalous. Pet Plan was recommended to us by our vet. They tend to be a little pricey but there is no point in having insurance that doesn't pay out. They seem to be offering an on line discount. Good luck.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We have Tesco pet insurance, and have had to use it several times, over the last 10 years, one thing I will say thou is, when its time for renewal and you find they have put it up, as invariably happens, then cancel your insurance and go back to them and start again. We have done this several times and we always manage to get it lots cheaper than the renewal. Maddness but true! :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have used Sainsburys Pet Insurance for over 10 years now - our new pups are with them, as were our sadly passed oldies. They have been very good. I think underwritten by AXA but have their own claim centre and are very quick to pay claims. They covered £1000s for our old GSD to have cancer treatment and also covered our BC when she was very ill in the months before she died. So far they have paid out on an emergency visit for our French Bulldog. I would recommend them, perhaps not the ultra cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have Tesco pet insurance, and have had to use it several times, over the last 10 years, one thing I will say thou is, when its time for renewal and you find they have put it up, as invariably happens, then cancel your insurance and go back to them and start again. We have done this several times and we always manage to get it lots cheaper than the renewal. Maddness but true! :thumb:

only prob with moving / cancel and renew is that any previous problems are not covered

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Pet passport.

We do the Continent twice per jear and what do we do when the dogs passport runs out of pages?
Do we need to spend loads of money again to replace it

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Pet Passport renewal

Gunner29.

Our dog is on her second passport now. We simply requested a second passport from our Vet as she was getting her Rabies Booster and it was provided free of charge.

The Vet advised us to always carry both passports as only the initial one has details of the original jab and blood test. He felt that proof of boosters without proof of the initial blood test may be a problem.

I have to say, however, that we have never been asked for the original when traveling. Still, better safe than sorry!

To ll that have replied to my original query about pet insurance when traveling abroad thank you. Unfortunately, the cover provided by Tesco and Sainsbury, and the like, is usually limited to 60 days per trip. No use to us.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We do not have any pet insurance.

We have since we owned a pet put £30 per month into a saving account. Tarni is now four years old and so far we have in excess of £1650 in tye account, taking into account the interest paid.

When you work it out what is actually paid etc, and allowing for the usual policy excess, I reckon I am quids in at the moment.

All things being equal, if she continues in good health for the next 5 years, I will have in excess of £5000 in the kitty.

It is a gamble, but it could mean a nice windfall/holiday is Tarni continues in good health.

Its a gamble, but from previous experience with pet plan, yes they do cover a condition for life, but come policy renewal time, boy does the premium go up.

Just gives a contrary view to paying for pet insurance

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No

I just rang Tescos, am told that I had to take an insurance before allowing me travel insurance for my dog.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Needed to get pet insurance for our new puppy, Jamie, and were also faced with the 90 day problem. Surprisingly, Asda had a plan that covered all we needed, including 90 day cover, and the vet was also quite happy with it. Seem to recall the cost was competitive too - found it through MoneySupermarket.

Heaven forbid we ever have to use it though!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There are several reputable pet insurance companies in the market, each with its own unique offerings and pricing structures.
Hi and welcome,

You are replying to a 2015 thread 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back