PET HATES

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Drivers today seem to have forgortten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you. Easier said than done, we all have many pet hates regarding the rules so what is yours.
    To start the ball rolling one of my pet hates are drivers turning right on duel carriageways from the left hand lane without indicating!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

When did the dotted line at the end of the slip roads onto motorways stop meaning give way and start to mean just push in? :mad:

• Like Like x 13
  3. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

On a very similar theme are the ones who, on a dual carriageway, drive in the outside lane. Similar to lane hoggers on motorways. Thus blocking anyone turning right or overtaking (which is what the outer lane is for) then when they come across someone legitamately using the lane to turn right cut across the traffic in the left hand lane to get back to the lane they should be in, forcing their way in. They are often seen pulling straight into the outside lane when passed their obstruction, even though there may be no traffic in the nearside lane. So annoying and probably causes more accidents than lane hogging on motorways, not to mention annoyance!

Wyn

• Like Like x 5
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Team Lycra Cyclists .. bane of my life..

• Like Like x 7
  5. etap

etap

Drivers who don't use their signals.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Quote from above :-
    "Drivers today seem to have forgotten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you."

We could not agree less. Being aware of what other drivers are doing around you and anticipating their stupidity is one of the attributes of a good driver.

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 15
  7. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

I have to disagree, one should always be aware of what is going on around you. Defensive driving involves being aware of what others are doing and negating any potential threat by taking action to avoid conflict. I find this essential particularly when driving our motorhome on the fairly narrow road network in Argyll. If, every driver had to undertake further driver training following the current test of minimum competence (driving test), the roads would be a lot safer.

My pet hates,
    A)people who turn right into a side road but are to lazy or stupid to go past the centre line of the road they are turning into.

B) Inappropriate/unsafe and slow overtaking manoeuvre's

C) Inconsiderate driving.

D) People who use mini roundabouts to do a U turn. Which is also contrary to guidance in the Highway Code.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

People who indicate left on roundabouts and then keep going round.

9. wingman

wingman Funster

Tail-gating Arghhhh! And those with a £56k car, with every conceivable gadget, yet can't be bothered in indicate.

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Guys,, the post you are referring to has something called irony in it !
    BigBusMan was basically taking the pee out of many of the so called 'drivers' who are on the roads now

• Like Like x 1
  11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

My pet hate when going up a slip way onto dual carriageway and some numpty comes and takes your road. :swear2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. busby

busby Funster

You would get wiped out in Spain trying that....Busby.

• Like Like x 1
  13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

On the contrary, Defensive driving techniques require you to be very much aware of what other drivers are doing, their road positioning etc so that you may anticipate and be prepared for what they may do in order to avoid placing yourself in a vulnerable position.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And another who does not really understand irony !!!

As to the OP..
    People ( mainly in the UK ) who simply fail to get up to speed on the slip road to join traffic
    I have lost count of the times an idiot has tried to join and then failing to reach traffic speed drops back and, when they DO eventually get on the carriageway, come past us giving abuse as if it was my fault !!!!
    I would not mind if we traveled fast and made it hard for them,,, but with our speeds rarely ( really rarely ! ) exceeding 55mph AND the fact that they then come flying past us 2 minutes later with plenty of speed on board it seems to me they are just pig arrogant twonks.

On the flip side, if at all possible I will pull out a lane to allow big wheelers to come on the carriageway as they DO struggle to get up to speed

• Like Like x 7
  15. Big bus man

Big bus man

I am not saying you should ignor other road users but basically not get wound up by them, true you are always going to get those drivers that seem to want to involve you in some way, usually taking your safe space but due to their unknown nowledge that you can't stop a 3 ton vehicle on a sixpence you have to try and make allowances for them.

16. Cleve

Cleve Funster

I sit with the cruise control set on the motorways UK, autoroutes France. My car will go up hill and down dale happily with or without caravan (large swede AWD), sadly those that over take have a floppy foot and after getting in front of me dose off and it is necessary to pass them. Enter scalded rabbit or small penis syndrome and I am treated to them overtaking again and finally making a little progress until doze mode sets in again.

I am looking forward to using Helen the Hymer this coming year, she seems comfortable around the 55-60 mph area and as a mature old bird I dont intend to cane her. As I plod up some of the long drags on the autoroute I suspect the HGVs will be cursing as they pass me, though I was pleased with her in the lake district.

Drive defensively, always expect the worst and you will be happy and stress free. Remember the most important person in your life is you and you have only one life.

I get enormous pleasure having been overtaken by all types of "high performance vehicles" which have roared past me well in excess of the appropriate limit who have to do the whole thing all over again after the next peage as I have sailed through with my telepeage while they are sitting in the queue and messing with tickets and cards.

Sorry to go on so much....:france::imoutahere:

• Like Like x 4
  17. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I hate Continental drivers, every time I go there, I met with horn blasting rude hand signals and flashing lights.
    They are all bloody crazy! They all drive on the wrong side of the road! Madmen! Just madmen!

• Like Like x 6
  18. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Car drivers who fail to keep pace with the traffick :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Sadly I didn't get on with my dad but one bit of advice he gave me that stuck and I've passed on to my kids is to treat everyone on the road as an idiot and consider yourself as the only sane driver out there and you might survive. :LOL:

• Like Like x 5
  20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015