Pet foods do they need to cost ££££££

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Road Runner, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Now dads gone into a care home my finances have drastically changed for the worse.

Now I have always bought Bruno the best complete food on the shelf i.e. £30 plus a bag.

Recently I have bought the £12 a bag food and wonder if £££ really are better?

Bare in mind Bruno is old now and all I have.

Am I being stupid buying him cheaper food.

He is on constant medication from the vet paid for arthritis via insurance company, so glad I have always insured him for life now.

2. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

when looking at dry dogfood,Always look at the protein content, 27% is about right as the rest is just fillers.Cheaper dry food normaly has about 19-23% protein so the rest you will be putting in a poo bag when out walking.

3. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

As impoverished students we fed our dog on £10/ 15kg Superdog and he seemed to keep reasonable condition managing 10 mile yomps age 10.
    We now buy Burns at 3+ times the cost, though for a different dog. The main difference I notice (sensitive types stop reading at this point) is that his stools are much firmer. In terms of coat, eyes, friskyness etc. there seems to be little difference.
    I certainly wouldn't feel that you are neglecting a dog by using cheaper food - a well loved dog on a economical diet is far better off than a neglected dog eating steak.
    Andy

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Must say totally agree with above post. We to use Burns for 2 Poodles for the reasons stated but then they don't eat as much as Bruno, so not so expensive.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

5. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

Tried doing what you are trying to do John :Doh:

It dont work going cheap, the dog will poo more often and you'll be throwing you're money away !

By buying him the dearer stuff, he will get more norishment from the food, this will stay in him longer and not end up on the lawn and Bruno will thank you for it :thumb:

Give this guy a ring, he owns 2 pet shops near me and he is only 1 of 4 in Wales who is a qualified pet nutritionist. Look up Talbot pets, in Talbot green Llantrisant. He will give you all the time you need and answer all you're questions. He's brill :thumb:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

never had a problem with our four dogs.....

not fussy and eat anything given to them.

at the moment they are on Wagg complete worker @ £15 for two 17kg sacks (23% protein)

they also get any left over meat and veg from our meals, and the stuff we dont know about.....whatever they catch, rabbit, pigeon, pheasant, rat etc.

7. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

Don't knw which brand you're using John but my 13 year old lab is still on Chudleigh's Original ... can't be r said to go out and check the protein level:Wink:

The vet said she should be on 'senior' dog food, apparently it's lower in protein but.... will cost at least 17.5% more 'cos of Vat!!!! (it was damn near double the price!)

Luv the 'extra poo = wasting money theory' ...is it really just crap?:Rofl1:

Thanks for the 'heads up' on Wagg foods papajohn:thumb:

8. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

my dog is on wagg as well, she is an ex-racer (greyhound) she is doing fine on it, had her a few years now since she finished racing due to injury her vet is pleased and he would be the first to say if what we gave her was no good as he is the vet for the local racing greyhounds. She is still greyhound shape and not obese (which some foods can make dogs) and like most retired greyhounds prefers to sleep/relax somewhere comfy most of the day, she doesnt like long walks but does occasionally if she gets excited likes playing racetrack around the garden

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we get ours at our local 'Pets at Home' store.

theres usually a promo for it instore.

10. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

Just re-read my post and I think it sounds a bit patronising so, fistly, sorry for any offence caused. The point I was trying to make is that, IMHO, more expensive dried food has some advantages but doesn't necessarily represent value for money. It is heavily marketed to play on the conciences of people who want what's best for their dog.

11. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

Feed both my dogs a lab and a Lurcher (greyhound/saluki ) on 23% complete dog food at £10 for 15 kg. One dog is 10 and the lurcher 5. As stated in an earlier post its the protein content that you need to look at, an older dog does not need the same protein intake as a working dog. It passes straight through it.
    Don,t pay for the companies expensive advertising .

P.S. There aren,t many dogs /rabbits/hares out run my lurcher

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

We use a very cheap, WORKER Complete dog food @ £6.99 per 15 kilo bag, 23% protein. The two dogs are healthy full of beans and walk miles every day their coats shine and eyes are bright. The body does not just use protein, other minerals and trace elements are used as well. All dogs produce large amounts of poo if they are fed enough. Bruno as an elderly dog will have a lower exercise regime and require a lower protein level to match. We as human beings tend to spoil animals and trick ourselves into paying more than we need to. No shame in economising as long as the dog remains happy and fit. Our dogs always win prizes for condition when shown so not just our opinion

13. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

14. rav4girly

rav4girly Read Only Funster

We have a 13 year old English Bull Terrier X and a one year old Jackapoo. I used to get senior food and puppy food but they ate each others. Now they have whichever complete dry food which is on offer when I come to buy it and they both seem fine.

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi firstly let me say that 27 % protein is too high for normal dogs but good for working / running dogs :thumb: Too high ends up giving them dandruff :Rofl1: 23 % ish is fine for most dogs :thumb: It has to be 20 % to be classed as complete food.I have always fed ours on Omega rings ( £15 ) only because you do not add water and it can stay down all day with the dog eating what / when it wants, (and yes I know you should feed them once / twice a day and remove any they have not eaten :Rofl1:)
    In the next few weeks I will be changing this to some stuff at £8 a bag off a mate :thumb: again it will be dry and down all day or even next day until he eats it :Eeek:like the Omega :Rofl1:Yes the dog will have the sh--s for a few days until he gets used to it. All dogs get the sh--s when you change there food, be it for a day or forever -- try it :Rofl1:
    terry

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

to prevent the dogs stomach getting upset mix the new food with the old and gradually over a few days increase the percentage of new food to 100%

17. laneside

laneside Funster

laneside

Hi

just got to add my two pennyworth to this, we ran a feed store for a number of years before retiring selling a vast aray of dog foods.

My advice for what it is worth is ignore the protein label on the bag, there is protein in my leather boots but it of little feed value to nearly any animal.

Avoid the cheaper foods with flakes etc. in as these do lead to extra poos, but any of the kibbled foods fed dry are much of a muchness, the differing prices are mainly a marketing gimmick.

Whenever you change a dogs diet do it over a period of two or three days to permit a smooth change over.

The other thing to watch for is the fact that many dogs especially wire coated ones can have an intollerance to gluten. if this is the case look for a cheap kibble that is labeled, lamb and rice or chicken and rice.

From our experience there are many less popular kibbles on the market for around £14.00 per 15/17Kg that are every bit as good as one you mat pay £40.00 plus for,and I am led to believe some of the cheaper ones are made on the exact same machine that some of the expensive ones are made on.

The gradation of views will become apparent as some dogs can eat anything at all whereas some are super sensitive.

Cheers Alan

18. Terry

Terry Funster

:thumb:
    terry

19. John H

John H Read Only Funster

My lurcher is a rescue dog, she and her two brothers were dumped at five weeks old with parvo, the RSPCA in colwyn bay did a sterling job and saved all three of them. when we got her she was on a special diet of a very high protien food, the RSPCA asked us to keep her on this food for six months and then change it to a working dog food. the food we first had her on was Omega, we then took her into our local pet supermarket and while we were there she found a hole in a bag of cheap dry dog food and managed to get a couple of bits before I noticed, this food is only £6.99 for a 15 kilo sack and had 21% protein. the food is called Dr Greens and she's been on it ever since.:thumb:

20. laneside

laneside Funster

laneside

Sorry might add if you can find a supply of kibble labeled as working dog it will be cheaper as it is free of VAT just a loophole that manufacturers slip through with virtually the same product just a little extra chicken fat added in most cases.

alan