Pet food abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kip, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kip

kip Funster

Morning all,we recently changed our nellie`s food to that frozen/ fresh meat variety that has added fruit & veggies & have to say she doing really well on it !!she appears more alert (unlike her owners:sleep:) her coat is shinier & she has got down to her ideal weight.So my question is does anyone know if the same food is available in france & spain,& if so what shops ? .Our local vets sell it, wonder if vets do the same abroad ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Can't comment on the specific brand, but we found no trouble getting hold of the food that Rosie eats. In fact, one of the Stellplatz we stopped at was just down the road from a huge pet food sellers!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Not being a dog owner, the brand you're describing isn't familiar to me. But I can say that when I lived in France (with 4 cats) the popular (familiar) brands were readily available. They do have a thing about incorporating veg in pet food recipes - which took a bit of getting used to - but your post indicates that's a requirement. Hope that helps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Our two are on Nutriment and it really suits them. We can only fit 4 weeks supply in our freezer though so they get the odd meal of raw meat from the butcher to supplement our supplies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We took a supply of Jamies favourite when we toured Scandinavia (pouches of Caesar and a big bag of dry biscuit), didn't take up a lot of room, but we found we could get it almost everywhere. In reality he eats what he is given or goes hungry - which of course he never is...............!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

My dog is also on Nutriment but I would just feed him on raw chicken wings, raw and cooked veg etc when abroad if I could not find anything suitable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. elamessa

elamessa Funster

The only bones a dog should have is raw marrow bone. Any other bones whether cooked or not could splinter and pierce the gut causing serious damage.

Fresh meat specifically for the dog can be found on the fresh meay counter in most supermarkets (leclerc). To this you could add your own mix of grated vegetables.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I would be surprised if you could easily source fresh/frozen food other than going to a butcher of course! I thought about feeding ours this but decided not to because I didn't think you could buy it readily. He has been on an all in one since a puppy and loves it. But I can see the advantages of the fresh stuff - but I am not sure how practical it is for touring. We don't have a freezer so would need to shop for meat every few days.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. kip

kip Funster

Thats what we were thinking.

10. kip

kip Funster

We plan to spend the winter in spain from dec to the end of march & will be taking along a small chest freezer for the duration,hence my original question.If needs be we will as already mentioned, prepare her food for her but the convenience of pre frozen would always be favourite.Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Have you looked up the nutritional value of Caesar ... one of the worst things you can give your dog according to our vet as it's so full of cr@p as in high fat/sugar etc type ingredients.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

I agree that cooked bones are a definite no no for dogs but I have never heard or read that raw chicken bones should not be given.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

BARF is a very popular diet for dogs round here - uncooked chicken wings are considered a treat - but I just can't bring myself to give them to Buzz.

Lots of info on the internet describing the benefits.

14. kip

kip Funster

Quite possible,who are we to argue with the experts (any vets about ?) anyway the thing is nellie would eat a scabby horse given the chance,so choice wasn`t an
    Have to agree,our vet sell them, so we now give nellie those as a treat along with,croquette potatoes & a side salad :D;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Tried our dogs with raw chicken wings ... obviously they can't speak but the looks they gave us said it all "... we may eat loads of rubbish but really ... you expect us to eat THEM!????" :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. adt

adt Funster

Our dogs were all on Eukanuba but all went off it at the same time - suspect a change in ingredients.
    We tried them on home made and haven't looked back but we are about to do our first long trip in the van (10 days) so will be interesting to see how I get on prepping dinner for them.

17. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

I prepare all of Izzy's food as she is on a raw diet. I buy the cheapest cuts of meat or mince, dice up when necessary and freeze in little meal size portions (100grams per meal). I do this about once a week and chop up a variety of vegetables every other day or so and keep these in the fridge.

Sometimes I steam the veg as I read somewhere that they can extract different vitamins from cooked veg. I add a very small handful of uncooked porridge oats to this, or cold cooked potatoe left overs, or brown rice.

With her breakfast she has a half measure of multi vitamins, obtained from our local pet store and with the evening meal she has a small glug of olive oil. Once or twice a week she has a tin of oily fish instead of raw meat.

Now I am used to this I don't find it a chore and she clears her dish in minutes. There is never any waste and I can get these food stuffs anywhere, in any country.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kip

kip Funster

Little food bags,great idea (y)we bought a cheap hand mincer from robert dyas a little while back to prepare fresh meat.Nellie also loves tinned fish but has an allergic reaction to tuna !!she also likes olives so gets them occasionally for a treat.Looks like we have all the bases covered,Thanks peeps !

• Like Like x 1
  19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Our two are fed Skinners Field and Trial .. measure out and take what we need for the trip..

They don't eat much when travelling.. Bella , the Cairn Terrier get's travel sick.. Mylo the JRT takes everyone in his stride.. loves travelling..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I'm curious why some owners give the dog exactly the same food constantly. Surely some variation is necessary to get benefits from other foods?

Our Elvis gets same dry diet, but always gets lots of meaty treats and often licks our plates clean.

Indeed, many bars here bring him treats from their kitchen .

• Like Like x 3